TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just call me Dan

Diamond Dallas Page

After watching (finally) the best of Confidential DVD, I caught wind of the comments on the DDP title reigns. All of the guys basically laughed the guy off and Ric flair even treating him like some douche bag who had it in his head that he was a true champion really got me wondering what some of you all think.

I've heard all the "wife swapping" stories and how Eric and Page were so close, etc. I don't need much of a history lesson.

While I was obviously nothing but a mark at the time, I watched WCW heavily during the time DDP was on his hottest of streaks. IMO, he was VERY over, worked hard, and worked his way up. What more could he have done to deserve the World Heavyweight title? I don't understand how he could be pissed on so horribly when he did his fair share of jobs (of course not including Benoit), was over with the crowd, had a unique style/gimmick, and worked hard.

Is it just me or does everyone just have a stick up thier ass now that they are in the only promotion in town and he's on the outs?

Do you feel the same way they do and consider DDP a piss on and a paper champion?

Its a shame about Page. He was a great US Champion following his reign into 1998. I was for sure he would do as well as World Heayvweight Champion. Next thing you know he was just made into a one month champ his first time. I don't think he ever got a serious reign and I can only blame Hogan, Nash, Bischoff, board of directors, etc. for the poor treatment.

He didn't have a good look, and had horrible mic skills, but about the former he couldn't really do anything, and as to the latter, they could have written for him. He WAS over and DID bust his ass. While he got some help from uncle Eric, I've never heard about him bitching about jobbing. His willingness to be made to look like shit after taking a pay cut in the WWE should demonstrate that. He deserves no disrespect.

I thought he had an OK look for what he was trying to be. Not every babyface needs to be clean shaven and jacked to the nines. Page was the cigar chomping Jersey boy who put up a fight and wouldn't back down from anyone. Wouldn't look right if he was coming out in shiny new tights and three piece suits.

How long were his title reigns?

I remember one of his later reigns when he was involved with his triad (Bigelow and Kanyon) to make him look pretty low on the card and second rate, much like Jericho's in WWE.

But no one can discredit Jericho as a performer and as someone who was truly over and had a connection with the fans. I think DDP could be in the same ship, but apparently, a lot of wrestlers do not.

I don't think he had the belt when he was in the Triad. IIRC, that was during the aborted Sting heel turn/Flair-Hogan union etc. that the title was built around.

His two wins would have come at Stampede '99, and during the New Blood era, when he dropped it to Jarrett.

It seems to me like Flair, who has been notorious for ill-advised comments lately said this because he was not on top of the politcal game at that time. How can he shit on the guy who was in with the boss and worked well enough to easily gain high card status, when his current boy does the same thing 100X worse right now??

Guest netslob

because Flair has (legit) reasons to hate Bischoff, and he knows where his bread is buttered when it comes to HHH. that simple.

Respect to Page, because even with his friendships with Bischoff and Nash/Hall and his rumoured politics, the guy went out there and earned what he got, and he wasn't afraid to show some ass either. He earned his heat, he worked at his craft and he busted ass in the ring, and when he got the title the first time it was because he deserved it.

His title reigns were awful, but that wasn't really his fault.

The hell? I always loved Page on the mic. At least in Turner land.

He had a cheap, catchy phrase for the idioctic masses. Not surprisingly, he was over. Seems that can be applied to everything that worked in that era.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I never liked him mainly for his insistance getting "SCUM" over.

"Buff Scum Bagwell"

"Hollywood Scum Hogan"

got annoying as hell.

It's just that. DDP and Bischoff were neighbors and best friends, that much is true. It's why people resented DDP; he was in with the boss.

They were so close that it was rumored they swapped Kimberly and Bischoff's wife on occasion... suddenly the New Blood/Millionaire's Club storyline featuring Kimberly shacking up with Bischoff took on new meaning. Considering how much of a freak Bischoff was (bringing home strippers from the Gold Club for threesomes), I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Page was not a great U.S. Champion. He was simply a step above the utter CRAP that was before him (Hennig, Mongo, and Double J, anyone?)

He didn't even need the U.S. Title. Once he got it, he latched onto the super-hot Benoit Vs. Raven feud, killed BOTH GUYS HEAT, and put himself over both guys every week.

eh, that whole "he killed their heat" shit is urban legend. Benoit and Raven were always over with the WCW crowd due to their performance, they always got heat, and you could argue that DDP's insertion into their feud actually helped elevate them a bit at the time, because Page or no Page there was still the ever present glass ceiling they both had to deal with, and he was the highest profile guy they'd get to work with given the circumstances. Yeah, it would have been nice if Page dropped more matches, but at least he was willing to work with them and busted ass to keep up unlike the other slugs at the top of the card. Page actually risked his image given that he could have been totally outclassed against them, which was no doubt what the other top guys were afraid of.

The worst part of that whole program was when Raven finally won the US title from DDP he had to drop it the next night to Goldberg, that's when the real burial of Raven began.