TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Do you believe Athletes

When they say the most important thing for me is winning a championship? I think most do believe this, but sorry i think their are some who care more about personal stats, and a championship is just icing on the cake.

Randy Moss is the prime example. Some have said, he left the field early because he was frustrated. Which shows his desire to win. That's crap. Just hearing from people, who know sourcs inside the Vikings. Moss has been a pain in the ass all season.

There are some who just want to win and will lay it all out. But there are a few who could care less about winning or losing as long as they get the stats and the money.

Randy Moss for example. If he cared about winning, he wouldn't take off the plays that aren't designed for him.

They all care about money but some would be willing to give up the bigger check just for a shot at winning. We've seen it a few times where a guy will sign a deal that has us scratching our heads.

I think that for the most part it goes by the sport. NHL players for example, almost without exception judge their whole career by winning a Cup, and put it ahead of any and all individual achievements.

NBA players on the other hand, can barely be bothered to stick their hands up when someone's shooting a jumper. I think that if Jason Kidd could make his current salary including endorsements to play video games, he'd never step on a basketball court again.

I think that for the most part it goes by the sport. NHL players for example, almost without exception judge their whole career by winning a Cup, and put it ahead of any and all individual achievements.

NBA players on the other hand, can barely be bothered to stick their hands up when someone's shooting a jumper. I think that if Jason Kidd could make his current salary including endorsements to play video games, he'd never step on a basketball court again.

I agree, but uh, if I could make Jason Kidd's salary playing video games I would do it too :)

This is true, unless you accept wads of money to play for the Rangers...

This is true, unless you accept wads of money to play for the Rangers...

...or are named Alexei "Ca$hin" Yashin.

I am sure some players do, but when you watch these same players out there playing hard with injuries when if they sit they would get paid anyway, it throws a huge wrench in your theory.

I mean seriously, JASON KIDD??? Dude is just now recovering from a serious knee injury that he basically played the end of the season and the first two rounds of the playoffs with last year. He probably shouldn't have been back this early, but he is out there. Moss had to be forced to sit his one legged ass down when he was still out there trying to do something for his team.

Are we suggesting that a player has to be completely devoid of human emotion and personality to REALLY care about winning the championship. A player does something out of frustration is not a show of him not caring. Him doing something stupid is not a show of him not caring.

Scottie Pippin once refused to get back into a playoff game in the final seconds because the play wasn't drawn up for him, but I don't think you can argue that pippen didn't care about winning. He made a wrong decision due to human emotion and at the end of the day, these atheletes are humans first, and atheletes second.

ANd seriously, until you have tried to run up and down a court with a partially torn ACL and play basketball, i don't think anyone can question Kidd's devotion to the game and to winning. If you think the guys are assholes, thats fine, but they are definately notout there only for the money. Players out there for the money don't play hurt.

Randy Moss is the prime example. Some have said, he left the field early because he was frustrated. Which shows his desire to win. That's crap. Just hearing from people, who know sourcs inside the Vikings. Moss has been a pain in the ass all season.

Thats just. Some odd use of the. Period in this paragraph.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure there are a few New Orleans Hornets that only show up for the check now, but at the same time, you see a guy like Jim Jackson willing to sacrafice his pay for the rest of the year if he isn't going to be on a team that at least has a chance of winning.

damn I need to watch Sportscenter more, he did that?

Yeah, he is refusing to report after he got traded and is sitting out, without pay, waiting to get traded...which the Hornets seem to not want to do. He would rather forfit millions of dollars than waste his time playing for a team that stands no chance at winning (2 freakin wins and we are a month befor ethe allstar break)

The funniest part is that there were Hornets players(namely Baron Davis) who were saying they completely understand where he is coming from.

I mean, who wants to be on the team that has a shot at being the WORST TEAM IN NBA HISTORY.

*checks standings for first time this season*

Holy crap, NO only has 2 wins, although Atlanta has 5 and they're in the East -- lol at the Bobcats having a better record than the Hawks. (I don't pay much attention to the first half of the NBA season...)

Grant Hill should be a All-Star. and not that "awwwww lets give him a All star selection because he isn't hurt" but really...he is at 20-6-5 if I am correct. He is having a hell of a year. If only someone in Detroit had said 4 years ago "hey, Grant, maybe playing a entire series with a broken ankle isn't that good of an idea...maybe you should sit down" he would be one of the best of our generation.

*checks standings for first time this season*

Holy crap, NO only has 2 wins, although Atlanta has 5 and they're in the East -- lol at the Bobcats having a better record than the Hawks. (I don't pay much attention to the first half of the NBA season...)

Yep, they're getting it done. They had a tough stretch this week with some winnable games at Boston and home to Chicago, but they managed to put the L's on the board. They're about to start a good stretch, with road games against the Grizzlies, Knicks and Pistons, plus eminently losable home games against the Kings and Blazers.

They are now on pace to go 5-77.

They should be given the first three picks in the draft by default if they break the record...i mean damn.

If only someone in Detroit had said 4 years ago "hey, Grant, maybe playing a entire series with a broken ankle isn't that good of an idea...

Yeah, I always liked him, and it's a shame that one series almost ruined his entire career...

I mean seriously, JASON KIDD??? Dude is just now recovering from a serious knee injury that he basically played the end of the season and the first two rounds of the playoffs with last year. He probably shouldn't have been back this early, but he is out there. Moss had to be forced to sit his one legged ass down when he was still out there trying to do something for his team.

I was thinking more along the lines of when he spearheaded the effort to intentionally lose games to get Byron Scott fired, and then made sure they won 12 in a row after he left to "prove" that the coach was the problem.

I guess it's not a case of not wanting to win with him, but rather that it's a very low priority behind stabbing people in the back that annoy you.

I mean seriously, JASON KIDD???  Dude is just now recovering from a serious knee injury that he basically played the end of the season and the first two rounds of the playoffs with last year.  He probably shouldn't have been back this early, but he is out there.  Moss had to be forced to sit his one legged ass down when he was still out there trying to do something for his team. 

I was thinking more along the lines of when he spearheaded the effort to intentionally lose games to get Byron Scott fired, and then made sure they won 12 in a row after he left to "prove" that the coach was the problem.

I guess it's not a case of not wanting to win with him, but rather that it's a very low priority behind stabbing people in the back that annoy you.

Jason Kidd had great stats during that losing streak with Byron Scott, and comeon, you think the Nets could just win 12 games in a row because they FEEL like it? That statement is just as ridiculous as saying Kobe ran Shaq and Phil out of town when both of them were asking for ridicilous amounts of money to stay. just more stuff to blame the players for.

Kidd and the Nets for that matter didn't lose game intintially to get rid of Scott. The Management didn't renew Byrons contract for a reason. They knew he wasn't gonna come back.

I'm sure the Nets rigged it so they had a bit of a slump and then went out there and won 12 games in a row. Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

Given that Byron Scott is coaching a team that's 3-29 I think it's safe to say the Nets did a good job in getting rid of him. He's shit without Eddie Jordan

I do think that some players are willing to sacrifice personal stats & recognition in exchange for winning championships. Just look at the Patriots, who seem to be fully drinking the "it's the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back" kool-aid.

Then you look at someone like Pedro Martinez, who'd rather go to a pretty bad NY Mets team for more money than stay in Boston and have a legitimate chance at a second World Series trophy. Even if the WS is a long shot, the Sox have a much better chance of seeing the post-season than the Mets do.

Actually, I can kind of see why Pedro would go to the Mets. He already won his World Series in Boston last year, so he can be satisfied with that, and what New York is offering him is security that he'll be able to continue to pitch in the majors or get paid if he's too injured to play. It's really the number of years on the deal more than the dollars that got Pedro.

Back on Jason Kidd and the Nets, they maybe didn't "intentionally lose", but they didn't bother to play defense, work the ball around, or anything else that wasn't connected to their personal stats. Since Kidd's primary stats are points and assists, I'm sure he made to keep those high, but as far as playing help defense or going after loose balls, he just skipped it altogether.

Actually, I can kind of see why Pedro would go to the Mets. He already won his World Series in Boston last year, so he can be satisfied with that, and what New York is offering him is security that he'll be able to continue to pitch in the majors or get paid if he's too injured to play. It's really the number of years on the deal more than the dollars that got Pedro.

Exactly. The athlete's career is a ticking time bomb. His skills will only carry him until he reaches his late 30s, or early 40s if he is lucky. Job security is important for an athlete.

(Patriots blowjob removed)

Then you look at someone like Pedro Martinez, who'd rather go to a pretty bad NY Mets team for more money than stay in Boston and have a legitimate chance at a second World Series trophy. Even if the WS is a long shot, the Sox have a much better chance of seeing the post-season than the Mets do.

AND THEN you look at someone like Carlos Beltran, who'd rather go to a pretty bad NY Mets team for more money than go to Chicago and have a legitimate chance at his first World Series trophy. Even if the WS is a long shot, the Cubs have a much better chance of seeing the post-season than the Mets do.