TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Ice Storms

I spent the last couple days in Portland, PA (borders New Jersey) with my girlfriend at her apartment. We had a winter storm blow through, with a few icy roads here and there, but mostly rain. On Thursday, I travel back to my home in the Pocono Mountains, get to Mt. Pocono, and find the traffic lights are out. When I make it home, I find out the entire area is knocked out of power, because all we got on the mountain was 14 hours of freezing rain. That night, all hell breaks loose, as ice covered branches, and sometimes, entire trees bring down power lines and block roadways. We were lucky here to only lose power for a day, as some parts of the area may not receive power until Sunday.

So I missed about a day worth of message boarding, and I'm sure you all missed me greatly.

Guest Smues

You have my sympathy. I hate ice storms. We had a big one in 96 that did a lot of damage. Plenty of trees taking out powerlines and houses. Three days of school were cancelled, and they rarely ever cancel the K-12 classes in the city schools. Was one of only I think three total times in my entire 13 years of public school in Spokane. (On a side note, one of the make-up days for school was the monday of spring break, which resulted in an over 50% absence rate, including half the teachers being gone too. That was interesting.)

Guest Failed Mascot
That's what happens when you live in the MOUNTAINS.

"So I went home and noticed a bunch of Mountain Lions eating town folk. Mountain Lions in the Mountains...who would have guessed it? Well luckily I had my Bill James handbook with me and chucked it at the one closest to my vehicle rendering him unconcious..."

That's what happens when you live in the MOUNTAINS.

Well, its more like a plateau...

"So I went home and noticed a bunch of Mountain Lions eating town folk. Mountain Lions in the Mountains...who would have guessed it? Well luckily I had my Bill James handbook with me and chucked it at the one closest to my vehicle rendering him unconcious..."

Buddy, if you think I'm risking a Bill James book just to fend off deadly mountainout creatures, you must not know me that well.

We had one here in Ottawa in 1997. It was good for us at the time cuz it got us a week off from school, yet nothing major was really done in our neighbourhood. The ones beside us however, got their power dead and some phone lines went out. We just saw it as a week long vacation from school.

We had one here in Ottawa in 1997. It was good for us at the time cuz it got us a week off from school, yet nothing major was really done in our neighbourhood. The ones beside us however, got their power dead and some phone lines went out. We just saw it as a week long vacation from school.

It was the biggest disaster in Canadian history, although I thought it was early 1998. It was during that winter anyways, the one with the biggest El Nino in 20 years.

I remember getting the ice storms in South Jersey back in 1993 and in 1997. The 93 one knocked out power for a couple days where I live at. Black ice is one real bitch to deal with.

And Al does look like Pete Rose.

::Imagines Al betting on baseball if he ever were to become a general manager::

"Are you sure you want to do this Al?"

"Just place the bets Paul, come on..."

shit, I was once out of school for like 17 school days (thanks to a blizzard...I believe it was 94...or something, we had two big hits two years straight) ...we went for a week after Holiday Break, and then missed the next 3 ... so f'n bizarre that winter. We ended up in school till nearly the end of June.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

yes it is. Amazing movie as well as Katie Holmes getting fucked up.

Fuckin' A. I lost power at my house AGAIN for a full day. I finally went back to my girlfriend's apartment, because I really can't put up with this crap anymore. It's not the power outage as much as these things tend to make my family REALLY annoying. At least here I can once again contact the outside world.

Guest Failed Mascot

Did you have to eat your family's flesh in a desperate act of survival?

I remember the 98 Ice Storm.

Though our area (Niagara region) didn't get hit hard, I was enjoying my two days of no school (and some great ball hockey as well).

I picture Al sitting around with his family.

"Hey Al, Derek Jeter is the best player in baseball today and knows how to lay down a sacrifice bunt better than anyone."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAA"

*silence*

"I'm going to my girlfriends. You all can freeze to death."

I'm still at my girlfriend's. I called home today, and the power is STILL out.

That's about on par with the big one we had in 98. Although in the rural areas, that one turned out to be a lot worse, because there was a BRUTAL cold snap that followed immediately after, and they couldn't get the crews out fast enough to get the power back on. A lot of people were without power in -30 temperatures, just trying to survive.

The weird thing is that the forecast is for 60 degrees Thursday, before it dups below 30 again for the rest of the week. We've had two deaths so far, from carbon monoxide poisoning. Its not so cold as its completely unbearable, but its rough.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
The power at my house went out around 11:30 Wednesday night and just came back on this morning.

Haha. East central got fucked this go around. I drove home from work this morning in some incredible fog. This state's a goddamn deathtrap.

What town do you live in Al?

I'm getting married in Frackville and having the reception near Hazleton. We planned for September to avoid such situations as you are dealing with.