TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cartman

"Be Cool"

The theatrical trailer looks pretty sweet. The Rock looks like he slimmed down a lot for his role.

That 'fro on Rocky is kinda cool

Once again I need to pimp the source material. If you're into Tarantino or Guy Ritchie films, or maybe liked The Usual Suspects, you owe it to yourself to read Elmore Leonard's books.

Not to be negative (but that never stopped me before), I can't see this movie because of Travolta. I loved GET SHORTY (the book) and BE COOL but I can't see Travolta as Chili Palmer. I can't, can't, can't. Poor casting keeps me away from both these movies.

I didn't like the casting of Devito either.

P.S. Starvenger - I agree with you. Leonard is such a great writer. If the books/comics forum had more than six posters I'd be tempted to start a thread about him over there!

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Leonard does rule. But why the hell is Rock in this movie?

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Because he is a name and he could play the gay bodyguard.

I read somewhere that Elmore Leonard dropped a hint in the book that he had The Rock in mind for the part when he wrote it, so that explains some of it. 'Course, I haven't read the book so I can't tell you what that hint WAS, exactly.

I didn't like the casting of Devito either.

P.S. Starvenger - I agree with you. Leonard is such a great writer. If the books/comics forum had more than six posters I'd be tempted to start a thread about him over there!

Can't say I agreed with it either, but DeVito WAS a producer and has been involved in making Leonard's stuff more mainstream, so I cut him some slack on it.

And I'd love it if more people were active posters in the comics forum...

I read somewhere that Elmore Leonard dropped a hint in the book that he had The Rock in mind for the part when he wrote it, so that explains some of it. 'Course, I haven't read the book so I can't tell you what that hint WAS, exactly.

Interview with The Rock (via Dark Horizons)

Those opportunities are continuing for the actor who will don a goatee and an afro wig in order to play a gay bouncer with singing aspirations in Be Cool, the sequel to Get Shorty. "It was so funny because Elmore Leonard wrote it and when he wrote the original draft, Chili Palmer (John Travolta) looks across the room and he sees Elliot Wilhem, Samoan, 30, can raise one eyebrow, trying to act, wants to be - can sing - and gay, and I was like "Wow, that's interesting" and I didn't actually speak to Elmore but according to those who have already talked to him it was like "No, no, I wrote that, based on The Rock, not necessarily the gay part but based on him, never ever thinking that he would ever play the role. Before you know it, here I am, playing the role."

I know I've mentioned it before, and I apologize for stating it as fact. But until I come across something where Elmore personally says it, I'd still have to classify it as rumour - one that looks to be very true, but rumour nonetheless.

Oh hell yeah, I'm in this movie.....well, me, along with 17,999 other people at the Tweeter Center the night Aerosmith played. They taped a part of the movie with Aerosmith and Christina Milian(sp?) singing Cryin' and we all had to go crazy cheering and everything. It was a cool experience, except for the fact we had to hear Cryin' 3 times at the same show.

The character is an over-six-foot-tall, muscular half-Samoan/half-black with a yen for raising one eyebrow.

Guest Starks

It's rated PG-13, so i doubt it will be as great as 'Be Cool'.

America really needs to revamp its' rating system. In Australia we have:

P - Preschoolers

G - General

PG - Parental Guidence Recommended

M15 - Recommended for 15 years

MA15+ - Restricted to 15 years +

R18+ - Restricted to 18 years +

to give you an idea of what films are rated recently

G - Spongebob Squarepants, Racing Stripes

PG - Phantom Of The Opera, The Incredibles

M15 - Lord of the Rings, Meet the Fockers, Elektra, Alfie, Ray

MA15+ - Blade, Alexander, Closer,

R18+ - Irreversable

I'm so sick of seeing potentially great films being fucked over in the quest for a specific rating. It seems to have gotten to the stage where ratings are dictating what films are made, instead of dictating who should be able to see them.

I'm so sick of seeing potentially great films being fucked over in the quest for a specific rating. It seems to have gotten to the stage where ratings are dictating what films are made, instead of dictating who should be able to see them.

I would think that the emergence of the DVD market has some effect on this as well. By editing the movie down to a PG13 rating, then releasing both that and a R/unrated "Director's Cut" on DVD you can potentially increase profits.

If they ever make Leonard's PAGAN BABIES into a movie, let me know!!

I just finished reading that actually. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of his other stuff.

Tishimongo Blues with Don Cheadle and Matthew McConahey is the next book-to-film.

I just finished reading that actually. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of his other stuff.

Really? It's among my favorites!*

*Get Shorty

Pagan Babies

The Switch

Rum Punch

The SuperBowl commercial looked like ass. They featured 2 things: the rap group and Travolta and Thurman dancing. What a pile of garbage.

I've been wanting to read this guy's books...two questions: 1. Which books have become movies? I know Get Shorty, Be Cool and I want to say Out Of Sight (right?)....2. What should be my first read from him?

I've been wanting to read this guy's books...two questions: 1. Which books have become movies? I know Get Shorty, Be Cool and I want to say Out Of Sight (right?)....2. What should be my first read from him?

Checking out IMDB, we get...

Killshot (2006) (announced) (novel)

Tishomingo Blues (2005) (pre-production) (novel)

Be Cool (2005) (completed) (novel)

The Big Bounce (2004) (novel)

Out of Sight (1998) (novel)

Jackie Brown (1997) (novel Rum Punch)

Touch (1997/I) (novel)

Get Shorty (1995) (novel)

Border Shootout (1990) (novel)

Cat Chaser (1989) (novel) (screenplay)

Glitz (1988) (TV) (novel)

52 Pick-Up (1986) (novel)

Stick (1985) (novel)

The Ambassador (1984) (novel 52 Pick-Up)

... aka Peacemaker

Valdez Is Coming (1971) (novel)

The Moonshine War (1970) (also novel)

The Big Bounce (1969) (novel)

Hombre (1967) (novel)

I think Get Shorty is a good first read. It's easygoing, and it's a lighter book than most Leonard novels.

Just saw OUT OF SIGHT last night. It was really good, to my surprise and delight!

Incidentally, Leonard has referred to the two adaptations of THE BIG BOUNCE as the worst two movies ever.

Incidentally, Leonard has referred to the two adaptations of THE BIG BOUNCE as the worst two movies ever.

The funny thing is that the recent version (with Owen Wilson) was quite faithful to the book, save for the location (Hawaii instead of along Lake St. Clair). It's just that as a movie, it lacks spark.

It's rated PG-13, so i doubt it will be as great as 'Be Cool'.

America really needs to revamp its' rating system. In Australia we have:

P - Preschoolers

G - General

PG - Parental Guidence Recommended

M15 - Recommended for 15 years

MA15+ - Restricted to 15 years +

R18+ - Restricted to 18 years +

to give you an idea of what films are rated recently

G - Spongebob Squarepants, Racing Stripes

PG - Phantom Of The Opera, The Incredibles

M15 - Lord of the Rings, Meet the Fockers, Elektra, Alfie, Ray

MA15+ - Blade, Alexander, Closer,

R18+ - Irreversable

The problem now isn't even getting the R rated cut, it is the fact that R rated movies are being chopped down to PG-13 all in the name of money. If anything why not release both versions in theaters, or throw the R-cut in the indy theaters and let them bear the fruits of releasing the CORRECT version.

The problem now isn't even getting the R rated cut, it is the fact that R rated movies are being chopped down to PG-13 all in the name of money.  If anything why not release both versions in theaters, or throw the R-cut in the indy theaters and let them bear the fruits of releasing the CORRECT version.

I can tell you why I think they won't - it's because releasing a PG version in the theatres and releasing PG AND R-rated versions on DVD will probably make more $$$ and probably cuts out on money going to actors with revenue-sharing deals...

Usually these are the unrated versions, not really the R rated versions. The really annoying thing is only when a movie that blatantly needed to be rated R like A vs. P comes out and it's PG 13. When EVERY film in a series is rated R (hell both series) you can't just go PG 13 without pissing people off. The silly thing is that AVP would have made the same amount of money I think.