TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Dumb Movie Questions

Why would you call a movie Rambo III when the first two movies were First Blood and Rambo: First Blood part 2? Was it because Rambo II: First Blood part 3 would make your head explode if you thought about it too long?

Was that a little boy or little girl in "Panic Room"?

Yes.

So at the end of momento...does this mean he's actually managed to cure his condition? Since he's managed to create a false memory after the incident...

Guest Smues

Been a while since I've seen it, but if I recall it actually was a girl, but the whole movie I thought it was a boy.

Is it wrong that my friend said he'd sleep with it regardless?

Is it weird that I'm not sure that he was kidding?

Is Ozzie Davis really JFK in Bubba Ho-Tep?

Why would Michael Jackson turn into a car when he can turn into a sweet Go-Bot?

Speaking of Go-Bots, in Transformers, why would the matrix of leadership destroy a whole planet and not hurt anyone else?

Why didn't the Empire take guard the Death Stars' weaknesses very carefully if they knew of them?

Why does everyone like the book Neuromancer? It rips off The Matrix so much!

In LOTR, why didn't they just get that bird to fly them to the volcano to get rid of the ring?

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/eagles.html

From the site:

"If the eagles could fly the Ringbearer to Mt. Doom so easily, it wouldn't be a very good story."

I agree. Clearly, The Lord of the Rings wouldn't be nearly as good a story if the dreadful travel into Mordor by Frodo and Sam were neatly snipped out and replaced by a flight with the eagles.

Well duh.

It was a dumb question, which is the whole point of the thread.

In LOTR, why didn't they just get that bird to fly them to the volcano to get rid of the ring?

Because two hobbits walking around dressed as orcs are a LOT more sneaky then a great big eagle flying overhead.

Considering that Sauron was a giant eye, I think he probably would have seen that. And considering the Ring-Wraiths had those dragon-things to fly on, it's not like the eagle would have been any safer. In fact, you could argue it'd be MORE dangerous, because if it was carrying Frodo, some well-placed arrows from below (or swords from the same level) could have caused the eagle to drop Frodo (and the Ring) right into the middle of Mordor, thus guaranteeing Sauron's victory.

Why didn't the Empire take guard the Death Stars' weaknesses very carefully if they knew of them?

Because the weakness was a very, very small target right in the middle of an enormous battle station. That, and they probably didn't think the Rebels would be able to both figure out where the weakness was, and actually launch a successful attack on it.

I mean, you thought it was EASY for Luke to get in there?

Because two hobbits walking around dressed as orcs are a LOT more sneaky then a great big eagle flying overhead.

Considering that Sauron was a giant eye, I think he probably would have seen that. And considering the Ring-Wraiths had those dragon-things to fly on, it's not like the eagle would have been any safer. In fact, you could argue it'd be MORE dangerous, because if it was carrying Frodo, some well-placed arrows from below (or swords from the same level) could have caused the eagle to drop Frodo (and the Ring) right into the middle of Mordor, thus guaranteeing Sauron's victory.

They could have flown about 5 eagles with a bunch of hobbits dressed like Frodo.

Because the weakness was a very, very small target right in the middle of an enormous battle station. That, and they probably didn't think the Rebels would be able to both figure out where the weakness was, and actually launch a successful attack on it.

I mean, you thought it was EASY for Luke to get in there?

Also, they did fix it for the second Death Star. The Rebels were only able to destroy it because the station wasn't finished yet.

They could have flown about 5 eagles with a bunch of hobbits dressed like Frodo.

Past 9 flying ring-wraiths.

And somehow avoiding every single shot that came from the ground.

Plus, they still would have had to have gotten close to the volcano. They couldn't have risked dropping it from too high, or it might have taken a funny hop and ended up safely on the ground or something. In fact, to be SURE, they'd have to get right inside the thing and watch the Ring fall into the lava.

And if they did that, then they'd probably be close enough that any ground forces (which were SURE to be in abundance; you think Sauron is gonna spot a bunch of eagles flying towards the volcano and not DO something about it?) would have been able to fight back.

The bottom line is this: If they sent in the Eagles, Sauron would have KNOWN that they were coming, and he would have KNOWN what they were going to do (because he probably would have sensed the Ring, and why else would someone bring it to Mordor?), so he would have been able to try and stop it. The plan they went with (walking there) succeded because Sauron had *no idea* what they were doing until it was too late, because it's a lot harder to spot two hobbits walking around in elvish cloaks then it is to spot 5 giant eagles.

So yeah, they COULD have used the Eagles, but neither idea was really that great, so they just went with the one that they could keep a secret from Sauron until it was too late.

If people stopped paying money to see dumb movies, would Hollywood studios stop making them?

People will never stop going to see dumb movies. Most people would like to sit in front of the screen for 90 minutes and not have to use a single brain cell other than the ones to instruct their hand to move up and down for the soda and popcorn.

Boondock Saints > Snatch.

While I'm at it....Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels > Snatch.

I never understood why Snatch got all the love.

Probably because the chicks like Brad Pitt more than Sting?

Regardless, I agree with you. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is the better movie.

I never understood why Snatch got all the love.

It has to do with the Brad Pitt talking with the pikey accent and Bencio del Torro with the jewish accent.

Guest Evolution
Why do we believe the Statue of Liberty can actually move like that in GHOSTBUSTERS 2?

And under the control of an NES Advantage, no less?