TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Si82

CBS Cancels 'The Will' After One Airing

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_will_canceled

CBS Cancels 'The Will' After One Airing

Wed Jan 12, 5:25 PM ET

NEW YORK - CBS lost "The Will" after just one night. This reality series, which logged a minuscule 4.2 million viewers on its premiere airing Saturday, has been axed by CBS, the network confirmed Wednesday.

Despite heavy promotion, "The Will" ranked 79th place in viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research, making it CBS' lowest-ranked show of the week. (The week's most-watched show, CBS' "CSI," drew almost 29 million viewers.)

A rerun of CBS' Sunday crime drama "Cold Case" will plug the hole this Saturday, the network said.

A reality show whose 10 participants vied to be sole heir to the fortune of a 73-year-old rancher, "The Will" thus joins a handful of other one-shot blunders in TV history.

The most recent was "South of Sunset," a CBS detective drama with former Eagles rocker Glenn Frey, which debuted Oct. 27, 1993, then was never seen again. With a 6.1 rating, that show attracted what was deemed the smallest audience ever for a series premiere on any major network.

For the sake of comparison, "The Will" got a 2.9 rating.

Jeez, how bad was this show? Did anyone see it?

I didn't see it, but hopefully this marks the beginning of the end for the "reality" bullshit.

I hate it when people piss on Reality TV as a whole, since there are some great shows out there, like The Mole and The Amazing Race.

As for The Will, a crappy show is a crappy show, no matter what the genre.

I agree with you that there are no real reality shows on network TV, but it's like saying that Soap Operas are neither soap nor opera. (edit: yes, I do know why they're called that) It's the name the genre has been given, and we've been conditioned to understand that a show does not have to represent the real world (not the show) to be called "reality TV".

Edited by starvenger

I didn't see it, but hopefully this marks the beginning of the end for the "reality" bullshit.

I hate it when people piss on Reality TV as a whole, since there are some great shows out there, like The Mole and The Amazing Race.

Wrong

Heavy promotion?

I never even heard of this show.

What the hell was it?

It was some thing where a wealthy rancher had to decide which one of various scheming friends and relatives would inherit his ranch.

The Will probably would have lasted through its one run had it aired on some other night. Saturday nights don't really work for broadcast network reality shows, outside of maybe the Cops/America's Most Wanted pairing.

Let's just all be thankful that Amazing Race 6 didn't get stuck on Saturdays as originally scheduled.

Let's just all be thankful that Amazing Race 6 didn't get stuck on Saturdays as originally scheduled.

Unfortunately next week it'll be up against the second hour of the karaoke juggernaut that is American Idol. Which in these first few weeks will be closer to reality than the latter weeks, since there are delusional people out there who think that they are the best singer ever.

Wrong

Thanks for the insightful analysis, Slayer.

Wrong

Thanks for the insightful analysis, Slayer.

I already stated my problems with reality TV here

Also, like someone said earlier, most of these shows are really just bad long-term game shows.

Yeah, I see it. Usual "it's not reality" argument, which I contest that everyone knows anyways. And to be honest, it's a cliche generalized argument that is right up there with "Your favourite type of music sucks".

And Crimson Platypus actually said "very in-depth game shows". No mention of bad. Although by all accounts, The Will is.

Guest Deadbolt

The second I ever heard about the will, I said that it sounded like an insensitive stupid show that really has no point at all. Its usually FOX that does all the stupid reality TV shows. Anyway, I will not miss it because I didn't even bother to watch it! CBS still is the reality TV king in my mind, with Survivor and my personal favourite, The Amazing Race.

If every reality show except Viva La Bam vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, I for one would be doing Numfar's Dance Of Joy.

If every reality show except Viva La Bam vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow, I for one would be doing Numfar's Dance Of Joy.

Add Ghost Hunters to the safe list and I'm right there with you.

I tried watching the Amazing Race and found it to be the perfect cure for television addiction. Cause after 20 minutes, I turned off the tv and decided to read a book.

Guest Failed Mascot

only reality show I enjoyed was The Biggest Loser and I often watched it while eating a Bacon Double Cheeseburger from Burger King.

and like kkk said, this show was pimped during football. Often 3 or 4 times during the course of a game.

Guest Failed Mascot

Viva La Bam and Ghost Hunters aren't reality TV in the true meaning of reality TV.

What's the true meaning, your definition I mean? Cuz I think that reality TV tends to work under Heisenberg's rules: if you point a camera at a situation, the fact that the camera is there tends to change the situation.

Viva La Bam and Ghost Hunters aren't reality TV in the true meaning of reality TV.

In that case, kill all reality tv then.

If I want reality, I'll go outside and find a bum taking a leak on a sidewalk. Cause that's 10 times more entertaining than anything that has ever happened on Survivor.

No "reality" show can be crueler than that one show "Who's Your Daddy?"

That show just seemed really cruel.

And I agree they aren't reality shows anymore so much as glorified game shows.

Guest Failed Mascot
What's the true meaning, your definition I mean? Cuz I think that reality TV tends to work under Heisenberg's rules: if you point a camera at a situation, the fact that the camera is there tends to change the situation.

bringing a bunch of random people together to exploit them in a situation they aren't use to.

The Ghost Hunters team works together and have done so for years. Its more of a DocuSeries than anything.

Viva La Bam does so much weird shit that its in a category all its own. Still, they're all friends and have been for years.

What's the true meaning, your definition I mean?

It's a fairly encompassing genre. For instance, just about anything on TLC could be considered "Reality TV", even though some situations are staged. Then there are the unscripted documentary-style shows like The Airline, which are heavily edited to create the drama you see each ep. And of course, there are the competition shows like Survivor, Amazing Race, and American Idol, which we all know about.

Cuz I think that reality TV tends to work under Heisenberg's rules: if you point a camera at a situation, the fact that the camera is there tends to change the situation.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. In an interview Johnny Fairplay noted that you get a lot of the model/actor types on these shows not only because they are pleasing to look at, but also because they know how to play to the camera, if they so desire.

At least they didn't put "Triumph Of" before "The Will"