TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banter

Tim Burtons's Corpse Bride

Looks alright but I would like a film out of Hollywood to actually have a different visual style for once.

It was like when I watched that stupid Lemony Snickets movie. The set looks exactly the same as those that you would find in Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, Harry Potter etc. Even the color grading on the screen is the same.

Guest Vitamin X

This one looks awesome. Tim Burton carries over the visual style of a Nightmare Before Christmas for Corpse Bride, with some good voice actors to boot (Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter~!).

It's got that same comical, dark tone. Kinda like with those Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics they used to make.

It's got that same comical, dark tone. Kinda like with those Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics they used to make.

"They" being Jhonen Vazquez? Creator of JTHM, Squee, and Invader Zim?

Guest Vitamin X

Forgive me for not knowing the author's name, but yes that's who I meant. Love his work. Just didn't remember the name.

What's the plot of this movie?

From imdb.com:

Victor (Johnny Depp) is travelling home with his friend to get married to his fiancee Victoria (Emily Watson). The two stop to rest in the woods, and as a joke, Victor puts his wedding ring on a finger-shaped stick in the ground and says his wedding vows. The stick turns out to be a rotted finger belonging to a murdered girl (Helena Bonham-Carter), who returns as a zombie and insists that she is now Victor's lawfully wedded wife.

As far as I'm concerned Victor is a CG/claymation version of Ichabod Crane. Everything is the same! The voice, the nervousness around women, and best of all, those cute whimpers when he's scared witless. Simply beautiful.

A friend of mine even made a post about how alike they are. She compares pics and stuff and, eesh, the results are undeniable ^^

I must admit that, despite the Depp-Burton genius collaboration, I wasn't really paying attention to this. But after seeing that trailer, I am a converted fan. Pathetic, I know, but I can't help it. Its not just the voices and the collaboration that hooked me, but the animation as well. Totally reminds me why I'm attending ITT and putting up with the damn college math course...

But, anyway, this movie looks to be amazing.

Guest LooneyTune

If it's 'til death do us part, doesn't the wedding not count since she's already dead? Or am I thinking too hard?

Forgive me for not knowing the author's name, but yes that's who I meant. Love his work. Just didn't remember the name.

It's ok, I'm just a rabid Vazquez fan.

OMG MUTANT!!!!!!

Guest Vitamin X

I could have sworn Burton and/or Vazquez had something to do with the visual element behind Nightmare Before Christmas, which is what this movie is obviously derivative of.

I could have sworn Burton and/or Vazquez had something to do with the visual element behind Nightmare Before Christmas, which is what this movie is obviously derivative of.

It was Burton. I believe he owns the production company. They also did "James and the Giant Peach"

Damn, we should have had an over / under on when Yuna would post in this thread.

Like I said, before the trailer I was all 'eh...I'll pass.' Then I watched that preview and I was a squeeing fangirl by the time Victoria said "Married".

Firstly, the voice. Sleepy Hollow is admittedly my faveorite movie, one that I'll happily become your stereotypical fangirl for. So to hear that Ichabod*voice reincarnated... :wub:

Secondly, the animation. The second time I watched the preview - following very shortly after the first; shall we say, two seconds? - I viewed with no sound. The nervous gestures of Victor whilst he stumbles through the word M-word are just beautiful; the wrinkling of his tie, the way he glances about for some sort of escape... okay, yes, I'm also a fangirl of CGness.

On that note, am I the only one who noticed that Victor's hair was the only one that had any sort of movement? I found that most amusing.