TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Heavy Metal and subgenre description

Some more goodies:

Brian Posen - "Metal By Numbers"

Posehn is a stand-up comedian that is most recognizable for his roles on "Just Shoot Me" and "The Sarah Silverman Program." He's also a self-admitted metal nerd. This song, musically, is very tight, but lyrically it's so true and yet so hilarious. Posehn nails metal's goofier moments dead-on, and even slips in some jokes about fashioncore.

Dying Fetus - "One Shot, One Kill"

Ignore the vocals and focus on the song itself. That's how you can get into the growly stuff: by focusing on the music behind it.

GWAR - "Bring Back the Bomb"

If you don't like this, then there's something wrong with you.

Send More Paramedics - "Zombie Crew"

You will probably hate this, and I won't blame you. B'Hellmouth's vocals are terrible in just about every SMP tune, and there's nothing that decent about the band, but they're pretty fun if you can get into them.

i have that GWAR cd. good shit.

i fornd a cache of The Devin Townsend Band, now if only it will download faster.

A lot of good stuff has been picked mentioned.

You might want to check out Killswitch Engage's "Alive or Just Breathing". It is their best album (and probably one of the best metalcore albums by far) thanks to Jesse Leach's awesome lyrics and vocals. Nothing they have done sine he left can touch it. His new band Seemless is pretty solid; it's kind of southern/stoner rock with a heavy blues influence.

I'm a sucker for Technical Death Metal, especially the older stuff. Try Death, Athiest, Cynic, Cryptopsy, Pestilence, Suffocation, Gorguts, and Disharmonic Orchestra.

i fornd a cache of The Devin Townsend Band, now if only it will download faster.

this is *really* good.

I second Gorguts. Also, Necrophagist.

I've been meaning to get into Necrophagist. What's their best album?

Gorguts' album Obscura is awesome. It's like Death Metal meets The Swans. Another really good Tech Death Metal Album is Demilich's Nespithe. Oh, and The Key by Nocturnus has great use of keyboards.

They fit more in Progressive Metal than Death Metal, but Alchemist are pretty good.

For the sake of exposure to grindcore, try Pig Destroyer, who are my favorite metal band, along with Agoraphobic Nosebleed (they are affiliated).

It's a difficult genre to get into, and I don't think there are many fans here besides myself and Agent. Probably you won't like it, but if you do, I can talk more about grindcore.

I couldn't get it to embed. Buncha goofballs... good band, though.

He didn't really call it a day, he just wanted to concentrate on (true) solo albums

If Ziltoid is any indication, there's nothing to worry about

I'm not too sure if you'll like Iced Earth. Matt Barlow voice shreeks very high, but there are some good stuff in there. However I do recommend The Glorious Burden by Iced Earth featuring Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals. Easily one of the best metal albums of the decade.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
i didn't even look to see who was responsible for that horrible "Angel of Death" cover, let's move on now.

Not really much of a cover considering that's Lombardo playing the drums. The band is Fantomas.

I'm not too sure if you'll like Iced Earth. Matt Barlow voice shreeks very high, but there are some good stuff in there. However I do recommend The Glorious Burden by Iced Earth featuring Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals. Easily one of the best metal albums of the decade.

Wait...You give her a heads-up on Barlow, (who actually doesn't shriek all the time, and drops his vocals low now and again) yet no warning for Tim Owens, who seems to do nothing but shriek his lungs out?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a bad singer; but I am saying, that as a fan of power metal, his shrieks get on *my* nerves. I'm so glad Barlow is coming back.

I like Grindcore.

Also, on the Sirius Metal channel they have a radio show called "Beyond The Pit" on there that is just Death/Black/Grindcore/Gore/Doom etc etc etc.....it used to be on every night at 6pm(9pm eastern) and then for a couple hours on saturday nights, but I am not sure if it comes on at a different time or at all anymore.

I'm down with the grind. It helps that my favored death metal bands have a lot of grindcore influence. I've been getting more into Pig Destroyer than ever before.

Check out Amputated. They're so horrible that they're great.

Ditto XXX Maniac.

Oh shit, how could I forget?! You must listen to Skinless. Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead is probably my favorite death metal album released in the last 10 years. It's just so beautiful in its brutality and its groove.

You should probably also gives this band a listen: Between The Buried & Me.

Their music covers a bunch of genres but they're also heavily influenced by Sepultura, Pantera and 80's Metallica. I'd say they're one of the best bands going today. Their latest album "Colors" is awesome as is their album before that, "Alaska". They get a lot of unwarranted flack because they just so happen to be on the same record label as Taking Back Sunday.

i've had Strapping Young Lad's Relentless on repeat fourty-seven times in a row. it's damn near perfect and pretty much what i was looking for. someone please provide me with more from them, preferably in a format that i can download.

thank you all for the help. i have tons of stuff to go through now. amazing.

From SYL's Alien album:

Skeksis

Shitstorm (my favorite from them)

Love?

Possessions

Zen

From SYL's The New Black album:

Decimator

You Suck

Wrong Side

Far Beyond Metal

You should be able to find mp3s of all of them on Limewire. If you haven't found them by the time I get home or someone else hasn't provided, I'll try to upload them for you later tonight.

I saw Skinless & Dying Fetus co-headline a show here a few years ago.....BRUTAL as hell. One of my fav. shows EVAH!!!

EDIT: Deicide just released a new album

Definately agree with the Khanate mention. Damn, what a freaky band. Also check out Esoteric if you like that band.

Most of the great bands have been mentioned, but here's some more:

Lykathea Aflame - One of the few bands that can create beautiful and majestic music without sounding fruity and remaining really heavy at the same time. I would describe the band as Cryptopsy with tons of more melody. As the vocals sound a lot like Lord Worm's (But not as good) and the drummer is just as good as Flo. They are described as Progressive Death/Grind on Encyclopedia Metallum which is a good site to look for Metal.

!T.O.O.H.! - The single weirdest band I ever heard. Nothing else sounds like it to me. The vocals take quite a while to get used to as it's a bizarre mix of growling, chanting, and shouting, but damn the music is wonderful. The guitar solos are incredible (Especially in the song "Kali") and the bass solos are damn fine as well. Rad A Trest is their masterpiece

Blind Illusion - Very technical thrash band from the 80's that features Les Claypool (Pre-Primus) on bass. The Sane Asylum is one of my favorite thrash albums ever.

Since Lushus didn't recommend it in his SYL list, I'd definitely check out City as well. Alien and TNB are good, to be sure, but City was SYL's masterpiece IMO

I'll post some video links later

You should be able to find mp3s of all of them on Limewire. If you haven't found them by the time I get home or someone else hasn't provided, I'll try to upload them for you later tonight.

i don't have limewire or something like that. i would appreciate it forever if you could juat throw them all in a .rar and upload it wherever.

Alien - www.megaupload.com/?d=TGWRYG35

City - www.megaupload.com/?d=DJK74VOH

Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing - www.megaupload.com/?d=YAFHV531

Strapping Young Lad - www.megaupload.com/?d=930KS14W

The New Black - www.megaupload.com/?d=PNXWP7O0

There. Everything is in VBR. If anyone wants the live album I'll upload that one too.