TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Hot Thumbtack In The Eye

Heavy Metal and subgenre description

You should be able to find mp3s of all of them on Limewire. If you haven't found them by the time I get home or someone else hasn't provided, I'll try to upload them for you later tonight.

i don't have limewire or something like that. i would appreciate it forever if you could juat throw them all in a .rar and upload it wherever.

sorry I didn't get a chance to do this, just get murdertrain's links, download and enjoy.

btw, why do you not have Limewire? it's free, get after it already!

Guest Tzar Lysergic
!T.O.O.H.! - The single weirdest band I ever heard. Nothing else sounds like it to me. The vocals take quite a while to get used to as it's a bizarre mix of growling, chanting, and shouting, but damn the music is wonderful. The guitar solos are incredible (Especially in the song "Kali") and the bass solos are damn fine as well. Rad A Trest is their masterpiece

New to my ears. Liked that a bunch.

Alien - www.megaupload.com/?d=TGWRYG35

City - www.megaupload.com/?d=DJK74VOH

Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing - www.megaupload.com/?d=YAFHV531

Strapping Young Lad - www.megaupload.com/?d=930KS14W

The New Black - www.megaupload.com/?d=PNXWP7O0

There. Everything is in VBR. If anyone wants the live album I'll upload that one too.

spectacular.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL

Just doing a little housekeeping here. We can further explore or review the wide world of metal here.

For reference, this is "heavy metal and subgenre description" + "help Taiga with metal" and I think some of CTDWAT.

First half of the thread is a bunch of TLDR posts from Thumbtack, whose credibility has eroded to nil over the years

Second half has a lot of Taiga posts

No sir, I don't like it

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I posted some Khanate in there. Not all bad.

I'm going to listen to that !T.O.O.H.! again.

Anybody else ever even heard of that? I mean, I'm pretty well-versed more or less, and that fuckin' thing..I don't know.

Guest Brady's Torn ACL
First half of the thread is a bunch of TLDR posts from Thumbtack, whose credibility has eroded to nil over the years

Second half has a lot of Taiga posts

No sir, I don't like it

Had I your search engine abilities, I could have consolidated at least five more Metal Family Tree threads into this, I bet.

Hypothesis: metal discussion yields the most tl;dr posts on TSM. In a close second is the war on Iraq. Third is anything Jingus posts.

Among Thumbtack's many faults is his utter humorlessness re: how many of his beloved bands and subgenres tend toward the absurd. Such as the time he was cheesed off something fierce when I asked him if wearing corpse paint would get me chicks.

Oh yeah, you gotta have a sense of humor about metal. Much of why I hold Dethklok in such high esteem.

For example, Attila Csihar of Mayhem and Tormentor:

attila.jpg

Blacklight neon corpse paint.

Or King Diamond:

ghost.jpg

Just look at that dude.

Oh yeah, you gotta have a sense of humor about metal. Much of why I hold Dethklok in such high esteem.

Also, Devin Townsend

I've been playing the hell out of Ziltoid the last couple days.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Tzar loves King Diamond.

You're never going to believe this, but he's actually kind of growing on me.

If I was finally able to get into brutal death, Agent can get into KD

speaking of which, it's almost October (or ROCKtober, as Agent derisively said to me a few years ago when I brought this up) which means it's time for my annual binge where I load all my KD/MF CDs into my booklet MP3s onto my iPod and try to listen to all of them over the course of the month

Saw Opeth/High on Fire/Nachtmystium last night.

Nachtmystium is fucking amazing. The only song I knew was "Assassins," and that's because it was announced before they played it. Just amazing black metal with a solid thrash undertone, and just a little bit of sludge thrown in to muck it up. Wonderful shit, and I can't believe black metal could actually translate this well live.

High on Fire are fucking horrible. If I just didn't like them before, after their 45-minute set last night I abso-fucking-lutely hate them. The opening song was alright...primarily because it was the only tune that didn't sound identical to everything else. Literally: I-FUCKING-DENTICAL. They close with "Devilution," and people go crazy.

By now I'm not in the best mood. I'm not a fan of Opeth, and High on Fire were so terrible that I didn't want to be there anymore. Alas, my girl loves Opeth.

Opeth...blech. Never been too much of a fan to begin with (not a huge fan of prog in general), but I pinpointed exactly what I dislike about Opeth: their songs are all long with no rhyme or reason. It always starts amazing, goes into a decent verse, and then breaks into some going nowhere clean noodling with an ambient pseudo-lead over it. It doesn't help that Akerfeldt just stands still while playing, and the only person really getting into the songs at all was the keyboard player (everybody was still save for him and the drummer, who cannot stay still simply due to the nature of his job in the band). Better than the time I was dragged to Tool, but that's only because I somewhat like "Deliverance" and a song or two off of Blackwater Park. I did get a nice chuckle over Akerfeldt admitting that "Black Rose Immortal" is a bad song. When somebody in the front row yelled out for it in-between songs, Akerfeldt just flat out went "no, you only like 'Black Rose Immortal' because it's a long song...it's a SHIT song." That made me happy. Now, if they take away most of the clean parts that serve as nothing more than to break up the flow of their songs? Opeth would increase their quality tenfold, easily. You can be technically skilled on your instruments and with your song structures without being dull and boring. Chuck Schuldiner figured it out with The Sounds of Perseverance, and he had brain cancer. What's your excuse, Akerfeldt? Stick to Bloodbath, please.

Drive home, blast music I would've rather seen, and just smile at the knowledge that my girlfriend bought my ticket since she knows I'm saving my money for Rock and Shock in a few weeks.

Speaking of which...the lineup for the first 2 nights is great.

Friday night is focused on Children of Bodom, The Black Dahlia Murder, and Obituary. Night two is all about GWAR. Unfortunately, night 3 is ICP, which will bring about the bulk of the people who should be prohibited from reproducing.

Nachtmystium is fucking amazing. The only song I knew was "Assassins," and that's because it was announced before they played it. Just amazing black metal with a solid thrash undertone, and just a little bit of sludge thrown in to muck it up. Wonderful shit, and I can't believe black metal could actually translate this well live.

High on Fire are fucking horrible. If I just didn't like them before, after their 45-minute set last night I abso-fucking-lutely hate them. The opening song was alright...primarily because it was the only tune that didn't sound identical to everything else. Literally: I-FUCKING-DENTICAL. They close with "Devilution," and people go crazy.

By now I'm not in the best mood. I'm not a fan of Opeth, and High on Fire were so terrible that I didn't want to be there anymore. Alas, my girl loves Opeth.

Opeth...blech. Never been too much of a fan to begin with (not a huge fan of prog in general), but I pinpointed exactly what I dislike about Opeth: their songs are all long with no rhyme or reason. It always starts amazing, goes into a decent verse, and then breaks into some going nowhere clean noodling with an ambient pseudo-lead over it. It doesn't help that Akerfeldt just stands still while playing, and the only person really getting into the songs at all was the keyboard player (everybody was still save for him and the drummer, who cannot stay still simply due to the nature of his job in the band). Better than the time I was dragged to Tool, but that's only because I somewhat like "Deliverance" and a song or two off of Blackwater Park. I did get a nice chuckle over Akerfeldt admitting that "Black Rose Immortal" is a bad song. When somebody in the front row yelled out for it in-between songs, Akerfeldt just flat out went "no, you only like 'Black Rose Immortal' because it's a long song...it's a SHIT song." That made me happy. Now, if they take away most of the clean parts that serve as nothing more than to break up the flow of their songs? Opeth would increase their quality tenfold, easily. You can be technically skilled on your instruments and with your song structures without being dull and boring. Chuck Schuldiner figured it out with The Sounds of Perseverance, and he had brain cancer. What's your excuse, Akerfeldt? Stick to Bloodbath, please.

Drive home, blast music I would've rather seen, and just smile at the knowledge that my girlfriend bought my ticket since she knows I'm saving my money for Rock and Shock in a few weeks.

Speaking of which...the lineup for the first 2 nights is great.

Friday night is focused on Children of Bodom, The Black Dahlia Murder, and Obituary. Night two is all about GWAR. Unfortunately, night 3 is ICP, which will bring about the bulk of the people who should be prohibited from reproducing.

Funny thing...most longtime fans aren't too happy that Per is very jumpy onstage.

Opeth is one of those bands that you either flatout love everything that they do or your not going to be into them. I really like the clean parts, as they help pace and guide the songs. What I like most about Opeth is how their songs just kind of wander, changing in mood and style. I can totally respect their sense of ambitiousness and not wanting to make prototypical metal albums.

Akerfeldt can be hysterical on stage. He has great timing and delivery for comedy.

I love Nachtmystium. Their new album is my pick for Metal album of the year, and their previous one (Instinct: Decay) is pretty awesome too.

Yeah, Opeth's Akerfeldt can be hilarious on stage. Refuses to take himself too seriously, very laid back and self critical. When I caught him a few years back he was making fun of one of their videos for "Ghost Reveries." laughing about how it was full of metal cliches like bad lighting, snakes, and cockroaches for no real reason.

Teaching the crowd to growl along.

His trademark "Shut the Fuck Up" and some funny stuff about Lutes.

"The Michael Jackson Song..."

I don't know I like Opeth because the playing and arrangements are epic without being masturbatory, at least in comparision with most technical or progressive metal. Their stuff always seems more purposeful and tasteful, can't say I find them boring at all. Very interesting and involving music, Akerfeldt plays and sings with much more feeling than flash. Opeth is the opposite of Dream Theater. Wow. "Blackwater Park" and "Damnation" are just masterpieces in my book.

I just find them boring LIVE, really. My favorite parts are when Akerfeldt does his little comedy routines in between songs. I've always been entertained by that. If High on Fire wasn't so awful (and my girlfriend wasn't being a drunk fuck and ignoring me all night) I'd have probably enjoyed it a lot more. Didn't help that I was exhausted and just wanted to go home and sleep, either.

10/10 and 10/11 are Rock and Shock, which should be good. Half of the people that I was going to go with had to drop out for various reasons (read: not enough money), so it looks like the hotel room me and my girl rented will mostly be devoid of post-show partying. And then GWAR's coming back up in December with a different tour than Rock and Shock this year (2 years ago they played with Red Chord and Municipal Waste up here, and then toured with them, so hopefully they ditch Mushroomhead and get the Waste back with them, considering the bands are friends with each other).

Sooooooo...Barnes or Corpsegrinder?

Agreed, although ironically, I think the Barnes era albums were their best (I mean, that was before he blew out his voice, but even compensating for that).

I've met Corpsegrinder a few times at Tampa shows. Cool dude.

Agreed, although ironically, I think the Barnes era albums were their best (I mean, that was before he blew out his voice, but even compensating for that).

I'm the same way. I do think that my gore metal days are past me.

^True to about everything between this post and my last. The Barnes-era was better musically, but Fischer's the better vocalist in every which way. Seems like he's the better frontman, too, considering all the footage I've seen of Barnes has him just with one arm one holding his ribs the whole time like he's Aaron Lewis about to shit out bad Thai food.

Picks for AotYC? Only one I've heard that even impressed me beyond "wow, didn't know they could still do that" was the new Zimmers Hole. I need to pick up Assassins though, especially after seeing them last Friday and falling in love. Was the new Black Dahlia this year or last?