TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haws bah gawd

The Rock is Done with WWE

I believe there's a bit of confusion with the posters who say that Rock doesn't need the WWE anymore.

Sure, the Rock doesn't need the WWE to succeed anymore. Did that stop him from doing the last two Wrestlemanias on his request? The facts are that the Rock WANTS to wrestle, and was willing to do a whole host of matches for Mania that were to be considered "special" (Rock/Sting and Rock/Cena, among others), but the WWE didn't budge on their plans with doing the JBL program.

Regarding the interview...if it is true...Dwayne Johnson would never be open and final about the contract situation. In my opinion, he's simply using "I'm done" comment as a negotiating tactic to show the WWE the levity of a mistake they're making by leaving him on the sideline for a show he should be headlining.

Meltzer also implied that the reasoning behind Vince's unwillingness to sign Rock to a contract extension can be attributed to the rise of power of Rock's political ally, Triple H.

"Ally" may not be the word in their situation.

Guest netslob
Meltzer also implied that the reasoning behind Vince's unwillingness to sign Rock to a contract extension can be attributed to the rise of power of Rock's political ally, Triple H.

"Ally" may not be the word in their situation.

yeah...since when are they Allies?

Here's the whole post by Meltzer...

The Rock loves wrestling. That much I can tell you without any question. For a guy whose schedule is as insane as it is, you have no idea how much time he spent mentally thinking about and coming up with ideas for Wrestlemania this year--ideas that would both mean box office and be entertaining and it was of prime concern the matches wouldn't stink. It's not happening, but it's not by his choice.

As he told me last month, "It was an oddly quiet ending, without any interaction or communication from the front office or the old man (Vince). Surprising to say the least, especially after eight years."

The decision points to the rise of power of his political rival, and that's not Steve Austin.

I can't believe they would be stupid enough to let The Rock walk away all because they wanted him to job to Bradshaw. I really miss The Rock and I hope they can work this out soon

If Vince believes, or is convinced by someone, that he doesn't need Rock, he'll let him walk away. If Vince thinks someone isn't useful to him anymore, he'll cut them loose, regardless of whether he's right or wrong.

If Vince believes, or is convinced by someone, that he doesn't need Rock, he'll let him walk away. If Vince thinks someone isn't useful to him anymore, he'll cut them loose, regardless of whether he's right or wrong.

But, to release someone of the magnitude of the Rock, especially with the backlash going to be felt by his loyal fans, the casual fan and the outside media, the convincing had to have come from Vince's inner circle.

...and we remember what happened to Vince's right-hand man last October.

Rock talks to Dave Meltzer? PLEASE let him do WOL.

That would be awesome. I'm sure if Rock has time, he'd do it. He did a long Torch Talk with Wade Keller and The Torch a few years ago that was a good read...

But, to release someone of the magnitude of the Rock, especially with the backlash going to be felt by his loyal fans, the casual fan and the outside media, the convincing had to have come from Vince's inner circle.

He let Hulk Hogan go. He let Randy Savage go. He let Roddy Piper go. If Vince believes that someone, regardless of how big they are, is of no use to him any more, he'll let them go.

Guest Loss

Not good news. I realize that all good things must come to an end, but Vince has ended his relationships with almost all of his biggest stars on a sour note. I can't think of any stars he's ever had, aside from HHH or Undertaker, where there's never been any sort of strain at all.

And weren't The Rock and Patterson very close? (Not in that way)

That certainly couldn't have set well with The Rock

He let Hulk Hogan go.

OT: What has been proven about the conditions behind Hogan leaving in 1993?

He let Randy Savage go.

...because he felt that Savage didn't serve a purpose as an active wrestler anymore.

He let Roddy Piper go.

None of his releases fit the same terms as the Rock's release - he also never released Piper during the peak of his star power.

If Vince believes that someone, regardless of how big they are, is of no use to him any more, he'll let them go.

The Rock is of "no use" to Vince because he believes Austin can be a suitable replacement to the Rock's role in the film industry.

If he wants to believe that, as delusional as it sounds, more power to him.

Not good news. I realize that all good things must come to an end, but Vince has ended his relationships with almost all of his biggest stars on a sour note. I can't think of any stars he's ever had, aside from HHH or Undertaker, where there's never been any sort of strain at all.

...that's because they never ventured far from the nest.

All it's going to take is for one of these movies to bomb out. I thought Walking Tall might do it, but it managed to hold on and make enough dough, I guess.

I'll put my bets on Spy Hunter, because movies based on video games do badly 90% of the time.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

One bombed movie doesn't neccesarily end a career. With the possible exception of Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks; most a list hollywood stars have endured a bomb or more in their career

Guest Quik
Yes, but Rock is basically a one-trick pony, at least at this point. If people don't like his macho hero act, he doesn't have anything to fall back on.

Right now, Rock's hollywood career has about as much substance as Vin Diesel's.

Agreed. Could you imagine seeing the Rock in a movie where the trailer doesn't show him walking in slo-mo before he hits someone? He can't do anything but action flicks. Something will suck, and he'll be back.

Yes, but Rock is basically a one-trick pony, at least at this point. If people don't like his macho hero act, he doesn't have anything to fall back on.

Agreed. Could you imagine seeing the Rock in a movie where the trailer doesn't show him walking in slo-mo before he hits someone? He can't do anything but action flicks. Something will suck, and he'll be back.

Or maybe he'll run for governor of Florida...

Be Cool isn't an action movie.

The Rock is the next coming of Stallone and Schwarzenegger, not Richard Gere.

There's no interest to see Rock out of the action film mold, and there's no reason for him to do so.

Well, this sucks to say the least. Instead of the occasional entertaining Rock promo we're just going to get HHH, week after week, month after month, year after year.

Man I miss the Rock already. Screw his movies, the best talent he has is cutting a live promo infront of a lively audience.

HAHA from Metlzer's news update today:

Huge headline. Rock says he's no longer under contract with WWE and won't do Wrestlemania. For more of today's breaking news, set your clocks back three-and-a-half weeks.

It's true, the Observer usually nails it before news breaks mainstream...

I'm glad some here alluded to Rock's movies. The Rock is big time and I kind of don't get Vince's mindset here, but Vince has been down this road before. Everyone who has left Vince and wrestling has eventually stunk up the joint. Maybe he's counting on that track record where Rock comes back in a couple of years. Rock did use a lot of the wwe network to push his movies. Either way, can't blame the guy for picking the movie industry. I mean he sees where his predecessors have ended up(early grave or crippled).

*Little rant over***

Both men will do business again(I say when business picks up). Maybe Vince actually sees The Rock as a detriment to moving forward. When guys like Orton and so on get bigger(this is hypothetically speaking of course) the bigger the money matches down the line. Rock/JBL is kind of a jabronie match for Mania in all honesty. Rock/Sting is Mania worthy. Didn't Rock want to face Savage last year?

http://playboy.com/magazine/interview/therock.html

In an excerpt currently up on the Playboy website, The Rock is asked if there was any tension between he and Vince McMahon about his departure from World Wrestling Entertainment:

"Never. By the time this article comes out, I'll be done with him contractually, but Vince and I are very close. We worked together, my grandfather worked for his dad, and my dad worked for him. He's been as supportive as a dad to me. He knew I loved being in The Mummy Returns. I told him I wanted to break into films with The Scorpion King but that I'd wrestle as well.

I grew up in wrestling. I am proud that my grandfather and dad wrestled. But when I filmed The Scorpion King I worked through the week, and on Sunday I would fly somewhere to do Raw or a pay-per-view. I had no days off, and it almost killed me. I wanted to give 110 percent to acting, and after that I realized I'd have to choose."

Guest jumpingbombangel

I don't think it's being mentioned that Rock isn't getting any younger, and while he may still have a few years left in the ring, he also has enough money now to where he wouldn't have to work a day in his life again if he so chose. Even though Rock will be sorely missed (especially around Wrestlemania), he should think of his future and his body. I wouldn't blame him if he never stepped foot in a ring again.

Now, it'd be great to see him in some sort of booking or office capacity (maybe be a Raw or Smackdown commentator)...but the guy has had his run in the ring, and it was a great run. The problem with older wrestlers who have peaked is they just don't know when to quit. I think/hope Rock does. Either sticking around Hollywood or just relaxing in retirement both look and sound a lot better than the third option.

As far as the WWE needing him back...well, hell, they have HHH, don't they? ;)

Guest Deadbolt

Well Rock was a big star, but he was never WWE’s biggest. As Vince put it, Rock was good, but he wasn’t Stone Cold Steve Austin. Rock could wrestle rings around Steve, but Austin’s drawing power was unmatched bar Hogan. I still feel Rock will be around for at least one show a year, and probably one or two Raw appearances.

I agree about Austin being more loved than Rock. That's obvious unless you count the female fanbase for The Rock. However, bringing up Austin is just more salt to the wound because he might have stayed too long as well(really that whole co-GM crap). The Rock might be getting the "go home" heat he was somewhat getting in 2002 if he was still full-time. I mean Triple H(I know the man is hated here) for all intents and purposes reached that "go home" heat in 2002-2003 along with Austin(somewhat). That's where Hulk Hogan had these guys beat. He would disappear and return at different times. Hogan was "go home" heat in late 1991-1993 before jumping to wcw for the Flair program.

Guest Brian
Well Rock was a big star, but he was never WWE’s biggest. As Vince put it, Rock was good, but he wasn’t Stone Cold Steve Austin. Rock could wrestle rings around Steve, but Austin’s drawing power was unmatched bar Hogan. I still feel Rock will be around for at least one show a year, and probably one or two Raw appearances.

Clarify.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I think he was saying; The Rock could outwrestle Austin and Austin would still be over more...

at least thats the only logical explanation i got.