TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Spring Training

Teams started reporting today. Big shock Gammons is at the Red Sox camp.

Realistically what is something you'd like your team to have. Another power hitter, a better closer, things like that.

A power hitter would be nice, but I'll take a good #3 starter.

Guest Failed Mascot
Don't worry. He'll be in Red Sox uniform by the trade deadline.

I'm not going to act cocky and say he will, but if he did join the staff I'd orgasm. Ben Sheets, Curt Schilling, Matt Clement, and a healthy David Wells and Wade Miller thrown in would just be killer. The team would still have Arroyo and Wakefield too. Of course expecting anything out of Wade Miller until at least July is unrealistic.

On the Indians...

Well... Pitching-wise, the Kevin Millwood signing might be a dark-horse boon for us. His numbers, while not stellar, are solid. Hopefully if he has a good season, he'll stay on for a year or two more.

The three-headed monster of Sabathia, Millwood, and Westbrook might be more powerful than people think. I am not, however, too keen on Scott Elarton in the starting rotation.

Howry, Rhodes, and the return of Bob Wickman will give the Tribe 'pen the stability it didn't have last year.

Aaron Boone at third doesn't intrigue me. Seems we're just plugging a gap until something better comes along. The Vizquel move was expected, but we really don't have anyone to fill the hole. Peralta and Phillips are painfully young. And while Alex Cora has experience at the position, he's not all that great himself.

Broussard, Belliard, and Hafner should have solid years once again. The power production for this team (such that it is) will come from Juan-Gone and Hafner, with probably 30 bombs a piece. Casey Blake might be a sleeper longball threat, possibly chalking up 20+ for the year.

This team will have to rely more on the arms than the bats once more, and with the Eric Wedge "Small Ball" philosophy in place, it could happen. The Tribe can easily finish a few games above .500, and second in the AL Central. With the seeming diluting of talent baseball-wide, the Tribe might be in the hunt for the Wild Card spot into the late games of the season. As long as the bullpen holds for the long haul, the 2005 season may turn out good like Shapiro told us several years back...

The power production for this team (such that it is) will come from Juan-Gone and Hafner, with probably 30 bombs a piece.

Gonzalez hasn't played more than 82 games in any of the last three seasons. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guest Failed Mascot
what is something you'd like your team to have.

Ben Sheets

Do you have any idea how much you sounded like a Yankee fan right there?

I've been a fan of Ben Sheets for 3 years though. If it makes it any better I want Doug Meinketuqhagefd back and Kevin Millar gone.

Ben Sheets

I've been a fan of Ben Sheets for 3 years though. If it makes it any better I want Doug Meinketuqhagefd back and Kevin Millar gone.

Completely agree.

I like Millar and he definitely has the better bat overall, but Minky was THE MAN with the glove and deserved to be this team's starter all year.

Ben Sheets

Keep a close eye on Roberto Petagine during Spring Training. He could be the Sox' first baseman this season.

Guest Failed Mascot

I heard he's suppose to have a nice glove and gap power to the opposite field. We shall see though.

34 and bad knees though...still should be decent off the bench. hear if his knees can handle it he may get time in RF against LHP'ers to spell Nixon.

...snip!... Doug Meinketuqhagefd ...snip!...

Somehow that is amazingly funny...

Gonzalez hasn't played more than 82 games in any of the last three seasons.  I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm kinda going off of the one season (2001) he was with the Tribe. Played 140 games, batted .325, hit 35 bombs. I know he's 35-36ish, but he may have a year or two of good bat left.

Besides, I'd like to think that at this critical of a juncture for the Indians, they wouldn't be throwing money away on someone that can't play the majority of the games.

Realistically what is something you'd like your team to have. Another power hitter, a better closer, things like that.

A reliable utility OF and backup 2B, a full season from Tony Womack, a productive Jason Giambi, a productive Mike Stanton, a healthy Kevin Brown, Wright and Pavano not disapointing.......not too much to ask :P

Completely agree.

I like Millar and he definitely has the better bat overall, but Minky was THE MAN with the glove and deserved to be this team's starter all year.

Granted, Mientkiewicz is good with the glove but I wouldn't deem Millar as David Ortiz in the field. Millar can field adequately enough and is much better with the bat than Doug. The big question is whether the RC between Millar and Mientkiewicz would outweigh the RA by the two in the field.

Guest Failed Mascot

Also it doesn't deserve its own thread so I'm just going to throw it in here. Rich Gedman is going to be managing the new baseball team In Worcester. Its of the Canada/America league or some shit. So if anybody wants a Rich Gedman autograph just lemme know!

It will be interesting to see how Sheffield and Giambi get along after this article

Why is it that Bonds is villified, but Sheffield gets a free pass for exactly the same bullshit story?

On another note, Travis Blackley of the Mariners is out for the season. For what it's worth, it opens a potential slot for Felix Hernandez.

More Buster Olney goodness...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1992665

Individually, Bobby Abreu, Jim Thome and Pat Burrell are all capable of producing good numbers. But between them, the trio mustered 309 walks and 390 strikeouts, with 1,530 at-bats, and that's a ton of plate appearances without contact. Maybe they just don't work well together.

The FUCK? The offense finished third in the league.

But Albert Pujols complained during the offseason about nagging injuries, Jim Edmonds turns 41 this season, and Edgar Renteria -- an underrated member of this attack -- is gone.

Hah.

But Albert Pujols complained during the offseason about nagging injuries, Jim Edmonds turns 41 this season, and Edgar Renteria -- an underrated member of this attack -- is gone.

Hah.

The hell? Is it 2010 already?