TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Spring Training

Early news out of Mets camp is that Willie Randolph has banned facial hair for the season.  The "Yankeeization" of the Mets continues

So Mike Piazza has to get rid of his beard? They were married just a short time ago.

LMAO

that was a good one

please dont try to Yankeeize the Mets we Yanks fans work so hard to ignore them lol

anyhow

I wont play fantasy booking here, but I hope the Yanks have a good year.

and as long as Boston falls back to Earth Ill be able to at least laugh at them again.

remember you got what you wanted you bragged too much about it, get ready for the curse of the Mietnkiewicz (I named it simply due to the whole ball ownership thingy not for much else)

I could be wrong, but I THINK I'm right this time. I was having this argument over AIM with a Sox fan over Jarret Wright. I understand hes only had 1 good year, and a whole lot of bad years. But then the guy told me hes "worthless." I can understand the Yanks overpayed him, I can understand hes a HUGE injury risk, and I can understand the move wasn't actuallu smart, but will somebody tell me if I'm wrong by thinking the word "worthless" next to Jarret Wright is totally stupid?

Guest Failed Mascot

I wouldn't say worthless but its definately high risk. Worthless at this point would be a pitcher like Rick Helling.

I'd call Wright a marginal #4/5 and I think that's being generous. His top 3 IP?

192.7 at 22, 133.7 at 23, and 186.3 at 28(last season). He's never thrown for more than 90.3 IP otherwise.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd realistically be hoping for 130-150 IP. At worse, I'd expect a 40-50 IP season.

I could be wrong, but I THINK I'm right this time. I was having this argument over AIM with a Sox fan over Jarret Wright. I understand hes only had 1 good year, and a whole lot of bad years. But then the guy told me hes "worthless." I can understand the Yanks overpayed him, I can understand hes a HUGE injury risk, and I can understand the move wasn't actuallu smart, but will somebody tell me if I'm wrong by thinking the word "worthless" next to Jarret Wright is totally stupid?

I don't think the word "worthless" belongs besides Jaret Wright, either. High-risk? Maybe not by a pure performance standpoint. Injury-wise? Isn't everyone a high-risk?

As an Indians fan, I can tell you that Wright had -major- upside when he was pitching with us his first year. Yes, he did fall off, but look at his last season: 15-8 and a 3.28 ERA with the Braves in 32 starts. He threw 186 and a third, which was the most he's thrown since his sophomore season with the Indians. He gave up less hits than innings pitched (168), he didn't give up that many taters (11), and his Ks to walks ratio is not that bad (159 K / 70 BB).

Jaret Wright will be a high-quality, though not superstar, pitcher that can be servicable for several more years.

...Too bad he's with the Yanks. :|

Injury-wise? Isn't everyone a high-risk?

no

Basically all I was trying to say is that anything can happen to anyone at any given time.

So maybe not everyone's a high-risk, but there's always the chance.

Injury-wise? Isn't everyone a high-risk?

no

Basically all I was trying to say is that anything can happen to anyone at any given time.

So maybe not everyone's a high-risk, but there's always the chance.

There are players that just simply get injured more and are high risk. See JD Drew, Ken Griffey Jr., Cliff Floyd, Jose Reyes and quite a few pitchers (including the aforementioned Wright and Kevin Brown).

I know spring training isn't obviously not the regular season, but Tanyon Sturtze defintley showed his hot streak of last season was a full time thing.

;)

EDIT: Dammit, thats supposed to be a wink.

Whatever you do, pay no attention to Spring Training pitching performances, especially this early.

I would like to say that having XM Radio is a godsend. I was able to listen to my first Phillies game since October.

Guest LooneyTune

I would be more worried with the batting right now than the pitching (although it's probably too early to declare anything). I know it's spring training, a.k.a warm-ups disguised as a real game, but THREE hits? Come on... they were playing the Pirates.

The Pirates pitching looked alright, but like Alkeiper mentioned, you really can't judge pitching by the spring training performances.

Guest Failed Mascot

somewhere right now Derek Lowe is crying over what Bruiser said.

Guest Mosaicv2
Was it 4 straight errors for the Dodgers?

2 errors in the 9th... one was a leadoff single, the other was the one that brought the winner run home.

Whatever you do, pay no attention to Spring Training pitching performances, especially this early.

I would like to say that having XM Radio is a godsend. I was able to listen to my first Phillies game since October.

On that note, Mike Mulder and Pedro Martinez pitched poorly in their debuts with their new teams today. I agree that no one should EVER pay attention to how pitcher's pitch in spring training. Too many times, I've seen pitchers just hurl fastballs over the middle of the plate and not even try to give away their stuff.

So I guess his Balco shipment finally got delivered. $1500 for a ticket to a fucking SPRING TRAINING game.......insanity.

So, did the Yankees show their Wang off?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let that Wang guy that pitched tonight make the roster. A mine-full of comedic gold just WAITING for someone to dig it out.

Guest Mosaicv2
Giambi homers AT Ft. Myers!

Take that Red Sox bitches~!!!

:D

It's only a spring training game... please.

Guest Mosaicv2

Well... I just saw it on ESPNEWS... Yankees over Red Sox 9-2, wonderful now I have to hear a "YAWNFEST" between Red Sox fans and Yankees fans bitching about teams :bonk:

Anyone else catch Kenny Mayne's Sportscenter piece previewing this game? Classic.

Kenny Mayne is stupidly funny sometimes. The bits with the kid Yankee fans was cute though.

the cut of him 'crying' at their stories was a bit much though.

Did you see the thing from yesterday?

The 4 year old complaining about the Yankees never winning a WS while hes alive.

Awesome.

hahaha

wish I'd seen that

Guest Failed Mascot
Giambi homers AT Ft. Myers!

Take that Red Sox bitches~!!!

:D

It's only a spring training game... please.

Its all he'll have to celebrate this season. Don't ruin it for him.

By the way, I whole-heartidly approve of your avatar and member title combo.