TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Well, I just got busted

I just got an email from a WWE lawyer saying I have to pay WWE a settlement because I sold some tapes of RAW episodes on ebay (making a huge total of about $70 on my sales), and that if I don't pay they will take me to court. Watch out what you do, kids, these people take this shit seriously. B-)

Yeah, I would NOT advise anyone to sell bootlegs on ebay . . . I guess they have a staff of 4-7 people who hunt auction sites for bootleggers all day. How much is the settlement?

According to the document I'm not allowed to reveal the sum of the settlement or else they could rescind it and take me to court...

But it's between $250 and $350 so I'll let you take a guess. :)

Ouch . . . well, at least it's not in the thousands.

Yeah, it really could have been worse. I just laughed when I got the email though, because I sold like 5 tapes of RAW on ebay while there are tons of other people selling RAW tapes on Ebay right now, no problem whatsoever.

See, this is why BitTorrent is BAD, and newsgroups is GOOD. Much less paper trail, and BitTorrent makes your fucking IP ADDRESS public while you're connect.

Buy a decent newsgroups provider, kids. alt.binaries.pro-wrestling has the same files, with a faster download, without any "upload to download" crap, and a lot less fear.

See, this is why BitTorrent is BAD, and newsgroups is GOOD. Much less paper trail, and BitTorrent makes your fucking IP ADDRESS public while you're connect.

Buy a decent newsgroups provider, kids. alt.binaries.pro-wrestling has the same files, with a faster download, without any "upload to download" crap, and a lot less fear.

THis is ture, but Bit Torrent is far easier to use. Download the program, click the file, download, simple as that. I considser myself to by quite computer savvy, and even I find trying to navigate the newsgroups and download files from the binaries to be a pretty complicated ordeal.

Guest Failed Mascot

Tell them you were selling paper cups and each one came with a videotape for free. That's an easy loophole around it. You're allowed to tape it for personal use or for others(like family) if you don't profit off of it. So for now on just sell Paper cups that come with free wrestling tapes.

Tell them you were selling paper cups and each one came with a videotape for free. That's an easy loophole around it. You're allowed to tape it for personal use or for others(like family) if you don't profit off of it. So for now on just sell Paper cups that come with free wrestling tapes.

Actually, it's not. eBay themselves have a rule against this. It may have worked once upon a time, but once it became obvious that some sellers were making a killing selling Bic pens that just happened to come with tons of bootleg footage, eBay was quick to make a rule against it.

I got kicked off of eBay for a month in 2002 for having a pair of bootleg tape auctions shut down and I learned my lesson. Haven't even attempted to sell any sort of illegal footage since. It's just not worth the hassle. Just because others get away with it doesn't mean you should go ahead with it. Justice may seem to be lacking, but when you get caught, "well, he did it, too" doesn't really fly.

THis is ture, but Bit Torrent is far easier to use. Download the program, click the file, download, simple as that. I considser myself to by quite computer savvy, and even I find trying to navigate the newsgroups and download files from the binaries to be a pretty complicated ordeal.

Not really. NewsBin is easy enough to set up. You plug in the addresses of the news servers of your provider and how much you can download from each every day/week/month/whatever, and tell it what group to go to. It visits every server to get a listing of articles from every server and puts them together into one unified listing.

Viewing by subject line, I just select a large block of messages that all start with the same (ie. WWE_WrestleMania_20-VCD or whatever) and click download. It downloads files from whatever available server it can. I walk away. You can easily max out your modem on downloading, don't need to upload anything.

It requires a bit more setup the very first time, and it's certainly more expensive, but I don't care if I have to pay a newsfeeds company a few dollars every month if it means McMahon doesn't send me a letter demanding thousands.

Yeah, it sucks I have to cough up a few hundred, and some people I've talked to told me I just should have ignored the email because they wouldn't go after a guy who just sold a couple of RAW tapes on Ebay, but I decided not to take the risk and just deal with it. It sucks, but that's what happens.

So anyways, anyone want some tapes of RAW from 1996 or 1999? B-)

Can't anyone do something about the False Advertising WWE has been doing? Both New Years Resolution and Royal Rumble 2005 have "Extra Match" listed on the back, and there is not extra match on the disc anywhere...

I know its minor, but if enough people cared, something could probably be done about it.

Hey JotW, maybe you can help. I got Newbin Pro 4.3, and I can get lists of everything, but when I try to download anything it gets queued. Think you'd be able to help me out?

edit: Well, I was able to at least get a few random pictures to download, but when I tried to get any adult stuff, for some reason it would say it downloaded, the file would be there, but there was no data in it, they were 0 bytes. Any ideas here?