TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

When TV Shows get Serious

One thing I don't see too often these days is the "Very Special Episode" of a show. Granted, in the past, they had this kind of thing all the time, s, here's some memorable examples.

-"Diffrerent Strokes"-The child molestor episode. It seems like these days, it's the pinnacle of the "special epiosode"

-"Saved By the Bell"-Jessie is hooked on Caffine pills

-"Boy Meets World"-Shawn becomes an alcoholic and abuses his girlfriend. Or Shawn's dad dies. Or Shawn joins a cult. Man, Shawn sure did go through a lot of shit on that show. No wonder he killed a bunch of people in the movie "Cabin Fever"

-"Fresh Prince of Bell Air"-Carlton buys a gun

-"Good Times"-JJ meets Janet Jackson's Penny character, and finds out she's abused by her parents

-"Punky Brewster"-Every Goddamn episode

Any other examples folks

Jesse singing, "I'm so excited" while Zack tries to hug her....the funniest shit I had ever seen, especially knowing it was supposed to be serious. Man, those were some innocent times, when the hardest thing you could get on was No Dose.

Fresh Prince - When Will's Dad comes back and Will meets him for the first time, then the dad leaves again

Ah yeah. That was also the loudest moment on Fresh Prince when he is yelling about how he will be better than him and Uncle Phil hugs him when he wants to know why his dad doesn't want him. That was the first time I felt that this acting thing might work out for Will Smith.

I love these shows, because the studio audience came looking for a regular laugh-a-minute taping and get caught with all that DRAWMUH~!. They then have no idea what to do.

Another to add, the Drunk Driving episode of Saved By the Bell when they went to the toga party and wrecked Lisa's(?) car.

how could you forget the post John Ritter death episode of 8 Simple Rules?

You know, I am a HUGE ritter fan and I didn't watch that ep.

Of and a different world around the end when they were doing serious eps every other week. Like the Slap happy boyfriend, when that guy tried to rape Freddy, Dwayne and Whitley when to LA around the time of the riots for their honeymoon(why the fuck whitley's rich ass went to fucking LA for their honeymoon is beyound me) the issues with interacial dating...itwas all so kewl....

then Kris Kross did a concert in the middle of the dorm.

Why are we stealing from DVDVR?

I'm not; it's just a fun topic

Guest LooneyTune

Jesse singing, "I'm so excited" while Zack tries to hug her....the funniest shit I had ever seen, especially knowing it was supposed to be serious. Man, those were some innocent times, when the hardest thing you could get on was No Dose.

I feel better for laughing at that now.

Family Matters - The gun episode when Laura gets held up or something at school by some degenerates. I haven't seen the episode in years, so I can't remember shit except Laura buying the gun from the dudes trunk.

Also, the episode when those gangsters trash Rachels place and beat the crap out of Eddie.

Fresh Prince - When Will's Dad comes back and Will meets him for the first time, then the dad leaves again.

Will should've known better than to trust Webster's uncle...

The Full House episode about child abuse OWNED

Weren't like 80% of Full House episodes "very special" episodes? I remember episodes about alcohol, crash dieting, drugs, and a LOT of them were about peer pressure.

"Growing Pains"- Matthew Perry, playing the boyfriend. He drinks, he drives, he wrecks, he's fine and then BLAM! He dies! Awesome!

I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO....SCARED!"

I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the episode. It's classic bad overacting.

The Full House episode about child abuse OWNED

Weren't like 80% of Full House episodes "very special" episodes? I remember episodes about alcohol, crash dieting, drugs, and a LOT of them were about peer pressure.

They usually had a message, but it was a soft message. Like not eating too much junk food, or staying out past curfew. Occasionally you'd see something which would be very special on another show, but it was par for the course for FH. That was just the way the show was. They had a few true special episodes. Drunk driving, death in the family (besides Pam), so forth.

Family Ties: When Alex's friend is killed in a car accident, and Alex is singing "Borbn to be Wild" with his dead friend, in a dream seguence in the kitchen.

Home Improvement: The middle kid, Randy didn't know if he had cancer.

Can't forget about the oil spill at Bayside HS.

Guest Salacious Crumb

How about MASH forgetting to be funny once the 80s hit?

I remember the racism episode of Family Matters (where someone spraypainted 'Nigger' on Laura's locker). I'm assuming it was during Black History Month/February sweeps.

The Fresh Prince episode about Will's father is pretty awesome. At least the ending, anyway.

Guest El Satanico

Scrubs does a great job of blending the comedy and dramatic. Of course, there's really nothing preachy, so it may not belong with these.

Guest netslob

I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO....SCARED!"

I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the episode. It's classic bad overacting.

really...i was embarassed FOR her.

I remember the racism episode of Family Matters (where someone spraypainted 'Nigger' on Laura's locker). I'm assuming it was during Black History Month/February sweeps.

there was another one where the son, Eddie i think his name was, got pulled over by a white cop for "being a black kid driving in a white neighborhood", and the father confronted the white cop and gave him this big speech.

"I wonder how that badge stays on...when it's pinned to slime."

ooOOOO, burn!!

They had a Fresh Prince like that too. That was a good one, Will got thugged out for the tv interview and he's like "YEAH, WE DONE IT! Yo, word to Big Bird..." There was more. Word to Big Bird was the important part, though.

Guest BrokenWings
Fresh Prince - When Will's Dad comes back and Will meets him for the first time, then the dad leaves again

Ah yeah. That was also the loudest moment on Fresh Prince when he is yelling about how he will be better than him and Uncle Phil hugs him when he wants to know why his dad doesn't want him. That was the first time I felt that this acting thing might work out for Will Smith.

I saw this episode again recently, and it gave me the chills. I've been trying in vain to find Will's monologue since. A great, great scene.

I remember a Different World episode about racism as well. I didn't watch that show but I remember liking it. Had to do with "Nigger" being spray painted on somebody's car. I liked it because they had each party tell their side of the story, which were comically biased.

I saw this episode again recently, and it gave me the chills. I've been trying in vain to find Will's monologue since. A great, great scene.

Here you go.

Will: Hey, you no what, you ain't got to do nothing, uncle Phil. You kow, ain't like I'm still five years old, you know? Ain't like I'm be sitting every night asking my mom "when's daddy coming home," you know? Who need's 'em? Hey, he wasn't there to teach me how to shoot my first basket, but I learned it, didn't I? And I got pretty damn good at it too, didn't I, uncle Phil?

Phil: Yeah, you did.

Will: Got to do my first date without 'em, right? I learned how to ride, I learned how to shave, I learned how to fight without 'em. I had fourteen great birthdays without him; he never even sent me a damn card. THE HELL WITH HIM!! (pause) I didn't need 'em then I won't need 'em now.

Phil: Will,...

Will: No, you know what, uncle Phil? I'm get through college without him, I'm get a great job without him, I'm marry me a beautiful honey and I'm having a whole bunch of kids. I'm be a better father than he ever was. And I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause it ain't a DAMN THING HE CAN EVER TEACH ME ABOUT HOW LOVE MY KIDS! (long pause) How come he don't want me, man?

Remember the show "Dinosaurs". I remember there was a just say no episode which said that kids need to stay away from drugs so that no more "special episodes" can get made. God, I loved that show.