TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Best/Worst songs for commencments/senior sendoffs/

Personally, for college/high school stuff I'd go with Garth Brooks' "The River" yeah its country music but it speaks to the whole "Closing one chapter and beginning a new one" that the end of a college or high school year should be about

"And I will sail my vessel/till the river runs dry/like a bird upon the wind/these waters are my sky/I'll never reach my destination/if I never try/so I will sail my vessel/till the river runs dry..."

Billy Joel's "I Loved These Days" is good only for the last verse

"And so before we end, and then begin/lets drink a toast to how its been/A few more hours to being complete/A few more nights on satin sheets/A few more times I get to say/I loved these days"

Any version of "Forever Young" or "My Way" (the Anka (sung by Sintara, Elvis, Sid, ect) written one) works, Somehow "American Pie" kind of works (well if you went to Fairfield or Iona maybe) Beatles "In My Life" is another good one

Going back to Garth Brooks, "The Dance" is WAY to sad for anything that is meant to be a happy occasion so that goes on the "Bad" list. Also on the bad list, can "Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance)" be banned from EVER being used in this context? Almost as bad as "Born In The USA" being used as a "Pro America" context. All because Seinfeld used it in the final episode I guess...

Steve

Guest Fire and Knives

That fucking Green Day song must never be used ever again. You know which one.

Cotton Eyed Joe

My senior class should have used that. It would have been better than LIVING IN AMERICA.

I mean seriously, the hell???

As for me, I always wanted to be sent off to "Future so bright, I gotta wear shades" cause it would be so painfully bad and corny that I would love every minute of it.

Time of your life (Good Riddance)-Green Day

I Will Remember You- Sarah McLachlan

The Graduation Song- Vitamin C, this song especially because I swear to christ for the past five years since its release the stupid ass pop station here in Sacramento edits in graduation messages from seniors of the local high schools and literally you are made 10 points dumber by listening.

I personally would like Social D's Story of my Life, Ball and Chain, Don't Take Me for Granted, or I Wasn't Born to Follow

The Graduation Song- Vitamin C, this song especially because I swear to christ for the past five years since its release the stupid ass pop station here in Sacramento edits in graduation messages from seniors of the local high schools and literally you are made 10 points dumber by listening.

Chicago did that in 2000, I haven't been keeping track since I eschewed mainstream radio and all that.

My class had "I Will Remember You" and I did not like it.

I was always a fan of "Time to Say Goodbye" featuring Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli.

Partially in Italian, I can't understand 66% of what is said, but damn if it isn't the prettiest thing I've ever heard.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

My class song was "Your Time is Now" by John Mellencamp, Indiana's own.

I voted for Nirvana's "Rape Me."

We had "I Will Remember You" as well, which was pathetic because 1) it's so cliche, and 2) the class the year before us used the exact same song. We looked like a bunch of fucking copycats.

My nomination was the Green Acres theme song, which would have been appropriate in so many ways. Sadly, it only got two votes.

Don't You Forget About Me by Simple Mind

It's a great high school grad song.

Freebird was our grad song (and they left out the solo too, another reason why I did not vote in Student Council elections)

Ours was "One Sweet Day" by mariah Carey and Boyz-II-Men.

I was like, mutha fuckas, we aren't DYING. We are leaving school. Fuck this place. I told everyone all I wanted to say, and honestly I didn't want those fuckers to hold me and I'm glad they are gone far away, so far away.

I didn't actually go to my graduation so I don't know what it was. I always thought it should be something upbeat, not this sad stuff. Like "See You Later, Alligator". Our mascot was Gators, so that would have worked.

The week before graduation, my class had this video yearbook type thing looking back at our years at Joliet Catholic set to the tune of 10,000 Maniacs "These are the Days", which the class before us also used. Then, to be totally unoriginal, our graduation song was "I Will Remember You." I was kind of hoping for Skid Row's "Get the Fuck Out", but I was shot down by my classmates.

I wanted 'Alice's Restaurant' in high school.

"Good Riddance" is the worst. Just the fucking worst. My 8th grade class used 'end of the road' just like every other class in the country that year.

Our year had Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye. Which, while I like the song, I didn't feel was the best. But it was down to that versus Cat Stevens' Wild World, and it was Buckley who won out.

Lonely Road of Faith - Kid Rock

Hybrid Moments - Misfits

i used them to make a music video with pictures and clips of our highschool days last year when i graduated. Everybody loved it so those two became our songs. They even played the video at the graduation which was pretty cool.

Can't believe I forgot a classic Doo Woop song (I THINK its the Drifters but don't quote me) "Save The Last Dance For Me" During the last month or so of college that song was one of the ones in my head for a while

Billy Joel's own swan song to actual singing "Famous Last Words" is a good one

Going back to country for Clint Black's "Leaving Here A Better Man" and Kathy Mattea's "Walking Away A Winner" work in a way

If you want a fun, offbeat country song, Tim McGraw's "My Next Thirty Years" could work going back to why I like "The River" so much, kind of a "moving forward" song as opposed to remebering the past as many songs on this thread are, and that is what I always thought a graduation should be, just looking forward to that next chapter. Sure the years were fun and will always be a part of you no matter what you do or where you go (in that vein I think a part of you is still in that place that you graduated from whether you were a athlete, student gov member, or just simply on a class roster everyone who ever went there left a unerasable mark on that place) , but there is still so much to be written and said in a life.

In that vein, maybe The Animals' "We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place" works!

Steve

Had the green day song for senior year.

Had "Time After Time" for eighth grade. I actually like that song though, so it wasn't that bad.