TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY~!

Just wanted to wish everyone a safe and happy St. Patrick's Day. Anyone got any plans?

We're doing an Irish dinner of beef stew and soda bread, then pint after pint of Guinness. Plus, my baby sister is coming in from Chicago. She can't go to the bars yet, so we're just gonna hang out at the house with a few friends and family.

Slainte.

--Brunzell

Gonna drink some Smithwicks (pronounced smitticks), which is an ale from the makers of Guinness. It tastes like Bass but way better. And I like Bass.

Will likely have some Guinness, too, because Guinness is always great.

Seriously, Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone, even those I don't like. :) Enjoy the day, people.

Gonna drink some Smithwicks (pronounced smitticks), which is an ale from the makers of Guinness. It tastes like Bass but way better. And I like Bass.

I just went to one of the Guinness Legacy rollout events the other night. Smithwick's is solidly good stuff, and I'm guessing it'll make a fantastic Black & Tan.

And, hey, Flik - it just started at Midnight. You've got a whole day of pinching ahead of you!

Slainte!

Edited by Ace309

And, hey, Flik - it just started at Midnight. You've got a whole day of pinching ahead of you!

Slainte!

YES! I LOVE TODAY!

...hm... I need something greeny for today. No pinching me, no siree.

Happy St. Patrick's Day all.

Guest DonVito
I think the only green bottle I am going to be having today is an ice cold Mountain Dew bottle.

Heh, at least it's green, right?

I'll throw down another Guinness for you since you won't be drinking.

Guest Vitamin X

I'll celebrate St. Patty's with my Irish girl in California next week..

But this time I get to sit at home and drunkenly rage at the Lakers getting assraped by the Heat.

Guest ian.

What exactly is the purpose of St. Patrick's Day?

I'm not being sarcastic and shit, I just haven't figured it out.

Guest cosbywasmurdered

The Irish Kilt Tradition

Kilts do not appear to have become a symbol of Irish nationality as did they became in Scotland. The authors and poets who helped create the romantic history of Scotland in the late 18th and early 19th century did not do the same for Ireland. (These writers influenced a young Princess Victoria and many others in England.) The kilts worn by Irish pipers and dancers appear to have little relationship to the actual kilts worn by the Gaelic people of Ireland. The current Irish kilt appears to be a copy of the short kilt fashioned by an Englishman in the 18th century and embraced by a generation of romantic poets and authors and even Queen Victoria herself. Unlike Scotland there appears to have been no real revival of kilt wearing in Ireland beyond ceremonial occasiins or ethnic events. The British Army did adopt a kilt uniform for some Irish units. I'm not sure when this oc cured, butsome Irish units in World War I did wer kilts.

It's a Gaelic thing not just a Scottish thing.

You better wear green, YNA, or all your hardcore badass sXe friends will kick your ass. Because sXe is HARDCORE.

//rant

Ian: the purpose of St. Patrick's Day is to celebrate one's Irish heritage. I believe Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, though I may be wrong. Whatever the holiday originally entailed, it's now become a day for drinking and wearing green. Everybody drinks, Irish or not (unless they're sexy like YNA), and wears green. If you're not wearing green, prepare to be pinched by drunken Irishmen. Also, you'll hear the phrase "kiss me, I'm Irish" thrown around a fair deal, and today it might actually work. So yeah, basically a big drunken cultural celebration. It is a big deal, though. I know buses in Minneapolis are free today, and some cities even hold parades. Bars are generally open earlier too. It's a big deal.

I've always laughed at St. Patty's being in the middle of Lent, given the high percentage of Irish Catholics, but I'm sure there's some significance to the date. Hopefully someone else'll know more.

You know what, look at B. Brian's original post to see what more of the cultural aspect is all about. Not being Irish, I guess I'm more an outsider looking in. There IS more to it than booze and groping.

What exactly is the purpose of St. Patrick's Day?

I'm not being sarcastic and shit, I just haven't figured it out.

Here it's to get drunk, and for people to celebrate their Irish heritage. Over in Ireland, it's actually a religious holiday.

Guest cosbywasmurdered
Ian: the purpose of St. Patrick's Day is to celebrate one's Irish heritage. I believe Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, though I may be wrong. Whatever the holiday originally entailed, it's now become a day for drinking and wearing green. Everybody drinks, Irish or not (unless they're sexy like YNA), and wears green. If you're not wearing green, prepare to be pinched by drunken Irishmen. Also, you'll hear the phrase "kiss me, I'm Irish" thrown around a fair deal, and today it might actually work. So yeah, basically a big drunken cultural celebration. It is a big deal, though. I know buses in Minneapolis are free today, and some cities even hold parades. Bars are generally open earlier too. It's a big deal.

I've always laughed at St. Patty's being in the middle of Lent, given the high percentage of Irish Catholics, but I'm sure there's some significance to the date. Hopefully someone else'll know more.

History CHannel Bio on St. Patrick

That and the other links there should tell you anything you want to know about St. Patrick and the history of the Holiday.

The corned beef is cooking at home, the cabbage is ready to be added to the pot when I return and there is a six pack of Bass waiting for me.

Happy Saint Patty's Day to all!

Edited by Kaertos

I'm Irish and straight edge...today doesn't mean anything for me

Hey another Irish posters on these boards. You still in Ireland or what?

Yay happy St. Patricks Day!!! (Even though the Irish parades always suck)

Yeah alot of Irish people use it as an excuse as a day where they are allowed to break their lental vows (even though nobody really does it anymore).