TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Thomas Haden Church cast as villain for Spider-Man

http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?t=32824

CHURCH CAST AS VILLAIN FOR SPIDER-MAN 3

Press Release

Thomas Haden Church, who was most recently nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in Sideways, has been cast as Spider-Man's new archenemy in the next chapter of the Spider-Man adventure, it was announced by director Sam Raimi and producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

Spider-Man 3, which is scheduled for release on May 4, 2007, will reunite the successful team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films. The franchise has grossed more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales and the new film will again reteam director Raimi, producers Ziskin and Arad, and actors Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Kirsten Dunst as M.J.

Production on Spider-Man 3 is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the on-going relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," said Raimi. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis and we all look forward to working with him."

The identity of the new villain is being kept secret and while speculation is rampant about which character is being called into action, the studio will not comment on the casting beyond confirming Church.

Since his star-making role in Sideways, Church has been in demand. The actor is voicing one of the characters in the upcoming animated film Charlotte's Web, and he recently appeared in Columbia Pictures' Spanglish. Church previously appeared in such other films as George of The Jungle, 330 Miles to Graceland and Tombstone. In 2003, he also starred in, co-wrote and directed the comedy Rolling Kansas. From 1990 to 1995, Church played Lowell Mather in the TV series Wings, and starred in the Fox comedy Ned and Stacey from 1995 to 1997.

Guest Vitamin X

Ned and Stacey! THAT'S where I knew Thomas Hayden Church from originally. I kind of enjoyed that show.

Wonder how long they can keep the Spiderman franchise going? Hopefully the quality doesn't disintegrate as with the Batman and Superman movies..

I see him playing Eddie Brock.

That's the most likely prospect, since we haven't actually SEEN Brock yet.

And if I may speculate based on that, we're probably looking at a really, really abbreviated version of the Alien Costume saga (which should be 2-3 movies on it's own). Maybe something where it ties into Oscorp and Harry Osborn.

Ned and Stacey! THAT'S where I knew Thomas Hayden Church from originally. I kind of enjoyed that show.

Wonder how long they can keep the Spiderman franchise going? Hopefully the quality doesn't disintegrate as with the Batman and Superman movies..

I heard this is the last movie

The main thing, to me anyway, is keeping Dunst and Maguire. Two great casting choices, young, good actors, look the part, etc...

Dunst is a terrible MJ. I don't buy her as a model, an actress, or someone Peter would lust after for whatever reason.

Guest Vitamin X
The main thing, to me anyway, is keeping Dunst and Maguire.  Two great casting choices, young, good actors, look the part, etc...

Dunst is a terrible MJ. I don't buy her as a model, an actress, or someone Peter would lust after for whatever reason.

I certainly wouldn't lust after her for any reason.

Seeing as Dunst is a model, and actress, and on the cover of innumerable periodicals, I think you're out of your fucking mind.

Dunst was sexy as hell in part one.

Then in part two, she looked horrible and made me want to cry. Her breasts were dropping to her stomach, her face looked like she had been starved for a few months in a dark hole somewhere and her hair was a mess. It was a downgrade that only Lara Flynn Boyle has managed to achieve.

As for Church, I have no idea who he is playing. What's the name of that shapeshifter guy?

Guest Fook
As for Church, I have no idea who he is playing. What's the name of that shapeshifter guy?

The Chameleon, which would be kind of interesting to see on the big screen.

As far as villians, the end of Spiderman 2 pretty much stated that they were going to have Harry Osborne become the Green Goblin or (since they do oftentimes change things for the movies) the Hobgoblin. They've also introduced Conners, so they could also go the Lizard route. I don't know where Church would fit in.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

i say either sandman, elctro, or that guy with the fish bowl for a head(mysterio?)

Guest Fook
He seems like he'd be a perfect Carnage...just dye the hair red. The only problem with that is they haven't done Venom yet.

I would love to see Carnage, but they can't do Carnage without Venom, and Venom needs a HUGE backstory.

Hopefully the quality doesn't disintegrate as with the Batman and Superman movies..

Unless somebody, on a whim, takes Raimi off it and puts another director on the project, I wouldn't be too worried.

Spider-Man 2 was less successful than the first but was still a huge hit.

I could see the Venom symbiote being something that Oscorp was working on, then gets loose. Viola! No alien symbiote saga, and everything is kept nice and simple.

If they decide this is the last SM then that would be an awesome way to set up the inevitable Venom spin-off (much rumored). Osborne creates the suit to kill Spidey, but the suit gets away or some shit.

The main thing, to me anyway, is keeping Dunst and Maguire.  Two great casting choices, young, good actors, look the part, etc...

She looked good in Bring It On.

I could see the Venom symbiote being something that Oscorp was working on, then gets loose. Viola! No alien symbiote saga, and everything is kept nice and simple.

Pretty much what they'd have to do. Although in the comic-book world I think Oscorp creating an uber-powerful living symbiote seems to make less sense compared to an alien costume acquired in another dimension. Uber-powerful sentient robots, that's another story.

Movie-wise, keeping Oscorp in the middle of things would make more sense than the comic version, or even the cartoon version.

I thought Spidey 2 was better. And to the poster that said that Dunst looked terrible in 2, I always took that as intentional. Showing that she has had some tough times (struggling actress).

What struggles?

The billboard she was on? The off-broadway play she was in? The rich hero boyfriend she had?

About the only struggles Dunst was protraying was her struggles to only eat one stick of gum a day.

Mary Jane became successful and suddenly now she's looking horrible? Spiderman should have just cut his losses and let the machine rip her to shreds.

Seconded

Dunst is one of my least favorite actresses today

I thought Spidey 2 was better.  And to the poster that said that Dunst looked terrible in 2, I always took that as intentional.  Showing that she has had some tough times (struggling actress).

What struggles?

The billboard she was on? The off-broadway play she was in? The rich hero boyfriend she had?

About the only struggles Dunst was protraying was her struggles to only eat one stick of gum a day.

Mary Jane became successful and suddenly now she's looking horrible? Spiderman should have just cut his losses and let the machine rip her to shreds.

Or maybe the part where she was working in a diner for chump change?