TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Royal Rumble '91 question

I remember the WWF advertised Andre the Giant's return for the 1991 Royal Rumble for a long time, including in the WWF Magazine. The Toronto Sun even mentioned Andre's return a week or two before the event. So what happened? Was Andre in no condition to wrestle, or did something else come up? And were there plans for Andre after the Rumble?

Considering Andre didn't wrestle after that at all, I'm guessing he was in no condition to wrestle. Not sure about the second question, though.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I would really doubt they had much in mind for the guy other than a feud with Earthquake maybe, But even then I think everyone pretty much knew he could barely walk.

Considering Andre didn't wrestle after that at all, I'm guessing he was in no condition to wrestle.

Actually, I don't believe that's true. From what I've read, Andre's last match was just a month before he died, and it was a comedy match in All Japan with him teaming with Giant Baba. I think. I could be completely wrong about that.

Guest LooneyTune

Andre was basically the same state of health as he was in his final days in WWF in 1990. Barely able to do anything in the ring without hanging onto the ropes, which is why he was booked in tag matches the rest of his career.

On a similar note, were Andre's crutches real or a gimmick? I was always under the impression that it was a work.

Im pretty sure they were real, myself.

He wasn't on crutches at WM 7. He didn't start showing up on tv in crutches until Earthquake attacked to build up him being in the Bushwackers' corner at Summerslam.

I think everyone is right about Rumble '91. He just wasn't healthy enough to get in the ring.

Guest LooneyTune

The crutches were used to develope an angle where Andre refused to sign Jimmy Hart as his manager/weasel/whatever, resulting in Earthquake destroying his left knee/ankle/whatever.

His last match was a tag match in All Japan, though, teaming with Giant Baba. It may actually have been a six man tag with someone else, now that I think about it. Like someone else said, it was very shortly before his death.

He wasn't on crutches at WM 7.

I'm sure he was, didn't he come out to help Boss Man?

He did come out, without crutches (check the tape-well if you have it lol) He walked,ok he lumbered down the aisle.

Then Perfect proceeded to oversell an andre punch with a 360 flip.

The best part was after the match andre was walking away when bossman came up behind him, tapped him on the shoulder and andre got this look on his face that was priceless, then realized who it was and shook his hand.

Guest LooneyTune

He didn't start using crutches until Earthquake kicked his ass in July.