TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

The future of RAW

Guest Brian

Sources in the cable industry confirmed a few days ago that WWE has finalized its deal with the USA Network for Raw and the rest of WWE's cable package.

WWE sources say the deal may be announced tomorrow.

If only they could get the F back then we could simply forget about the past few years.

Screw the F, get the attitude back.

Please?

Maybe they will get a little more edge back now that they are back on USA. If they do maybe I'll start watching again(though I don't have much faith they will).

Please no more Katey Vick or Pro-Choice Gene Snitsky skits.

RAW on Universal HD!!! YES!

USA Network does HD??????

USA is owned by NBC which also owns Bravo which had Bravo HD which was turned to Universal HD late last year.

If you look at their lineup tonight, it was a Monk marathon in HD.

It wouldnt be hard for them to simulcast RAW in SD on USA and in HD on UHD.

Now it's time to bring back Silk Stalkings and put it on after RAW.

You jest, but I'm SO down for that.

You know, once Raw moved to TNN, I forgot what channel USA was on my cable. And after that happend, I never watched the shows that I gew to like- Monk, The Dead Zone, hell, even Walker, Texas Ranger. I'll be glad once it gets back on USA.

Of course, you realize that Raw will be pre-empted by Westminster again.

Will the possibility of "Vince McMahon: The Ride" help USA Network land a TV deal with World Wrestling Entertainment? The network is laying out plenty of inducements -- including an affiliation with parent company NBC Universal’s theme parks -- in its negotiations.

Unfortunately, the network is not laying out a lot of money.

USA Network lost WWE’s main attraction, Monday night prime time matches, to Spike TV in 2000. But with WWE’s ratings fading on Spike, which has found the off-network rights to CBS hit CSI a more reliable investment, new Spike President Doug Herzog is not pursuing a new deal with WWE Chairman McMahon, though he does have the right to match any USA offer. (USA Network would not comment on the negotiations, and a WWE spokesman could not be reached.)

SEC filings show that WWE was collecting $31 million annually from Spike TV, but WWE sold the ad time itself. Industry executives say that USA isn’t offering any big hike in the fee, instead relying on deal sweeteners, such as matches carried on NBC U’s Telemundo Spanish-language network; wrestling specials on NBC; and wrestling-based attractions and promotions at Universal’s theme parks.

When USA Network lost the rights five years ago, Spike offered its own enticements, including a plan to publish wrestling books and schedule a wrestling-based reality show on Viacom sibling MTV. But Spike also tripled WWE’s license fee.

WWE isn’t quite the treasure it was back then, when USA Network rushed to court to try to stop Spike (then called TNN). Ratings are down by almost half, from a peak Nielsen household rating of 6.0 to 3.4 today.

However, the Monday matches remain one of the biggest draws on cable and are a magnet for young male viewers, so rasslin’s hardly on the ropes.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...s&referral=SUPP

Industry executives say that USA isn’t offering any big hike in the fee, instead relying on deal sweeteners, such as matches carried on NBC U’s Telemundo Spanish-language network; wrestling specials on NBC; and wrestling-based attractions and promotions at Universal’s theme parks.

Now, that's kind of interesting. Even having three or four shows a year on NBC could be a big boost to the WWE's exposure, and it would be a neat change from Raw, Smackdown, and PPVs.

Industry executives say that USA isn’t offering any big hike in the fee, instead relying on deal sweeteners, such as matches carried on NBC U’s Telemundo Spanish-language network; wrestling specials on NBC; and wrestling-based attractions and promotions at Universal’s theme parks.

Now, that's kind of interesting. Even having three or four shows a year on NBC could be a big boost to the WWE's exposure, and it would be a neat change from Raw, Smackdown, and PPVs.

Or maybe they could bring back Saturday Night's Main Event as sort of a Clash of the Champions-type show. They would probably have to cut down their PPV's, though.

Like the specials on CBS?

Give me a break.

It's the same song and dance every contract.

One item of interest

wrestling-based attractions and promotions at Universal’s theme parks.

TNA is in trouble.

Or maybe they could bring back Saturday Night's Main Event as sort of a Clash of the Champions-type show. They would probably have to cut down their PPV's, though.

The official WWE/USA press release on Business Wire

The press release came out. It's a three-year deal. Raw will also air in Spanish on Telemundo. At least two specials per year will air on NBC Saturday late nights, I assume in the SNL slot.

Guest Ronixis

DAMN that was quick.

Now what the hell happens to Smackdown? You know that UPN is not going to keep the show and NBC might not have enough confidance on Saturday Nights. Bravo? (That would be weird) Sci-Fi (Makes no sence unless they use the Post Trampolines they had in RingRave-coming on I am fetching on something here) Synication? (only if the 10 major markets air it on a consistent basis)

Hmm...

Guest Coffey
DAMN that was quick.

Now what the hell happens to Smackdown? You know that UPN is not going to keep the show and NBC might not have enough confidance on Saturday Nights. Bravo? (That would be weird) Sci-Fi (Makes no sence unless they use the Post Trampolines they had in RingRave-coming on I am fetching on something here) Synication? (only if the 10 major markets air it on a consistent basis)

Hmm...

F/X?

DAMN that was quick.

Hmm...

F/X?

Isn't FX part of FOX though?

I don't know what is in the USA NETWORK family anymore.

I'd guess Smackdown will just be on Thursday on USA or it stays on UPN.

notes from Scherer:

In addition to the information sent out earlier today by WWE in their press release, there are some other tidbits about their new deal with NBC Universal that were included with the filing that WWE turned in to the Securities and Exchange Commission.

- Raw begins airing in October on USA, Telemundo and possibly on Mun2.

- In addition to the two 90 minute specials on NBC, there will be at least one yearly, one hour special on the USA Network.

- WWE will receive rights fees for their programming. USA will sell all of the advertising and keep the revenue from the sales. WWE will no longer sell the advertising.

- WWE expects revenues of about $37 million from advertising sales for the fiscal year that end on 4/30. Of that, they will net around $13 million. That will be gone on the new deal.

- NBC Universal has committed at least $8 million to a multi-platform ad campaign to promote the launch of the programs on USA.

- WWE will remain on Spike through the end of September, then start on USA.

Guest Just Looking
Great! Now they can be pre-empted every year for the Westminster Dog Show.

Bravo has the dog show now, so Raw is safe.