TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jm29195

The Simpsons Question

"Put $5000 on the Lakers. Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator. My house is dirty; buy me a clean one. Did you send those thousand roses to Bea Arthur's grave?"

"Yes, but I keep telling you she's still--"

"I don't want to hear the end of any sentences!"

Woman: [over intercom] George Carlin on three.

Krusty: [answers it] Yeah?...Lawsuit? Oh, come on. My "Seven Words You

Can't Say on TV" bit was _entirely_ different from _your_ "Seven

Words You Can't Say on TV" bit. ...So I'm a thief, am I? Well,

excuuuse me! [to his accountant] Give him ten grand.

Woman: Steve Martin on four.

Krusty: Ten grand.

Well, I know a lot of these lines so well because of the dvds. Which is, you know, only up to season ten.

I'd still call 9 the last great season. 10 was 50/50. 11 was not so good, but had a handful of great episodes (tomacco, 'Saddlesore Galactica'... which I know a lot of people would even call worst episode ever, but I love that one. Because it's so bad, really. That had to be intentional.)

Not to go off on a tangent here, but I'm wondering if the Cake song "The Distance" will be intact in the season 11 dvds, for 'Saddlesore Galactica'. They always dub over it in reruns, but it was in the original airing.

Season 11 also had "Behind The Laughter" which I think is the last truly great Simpsons episode.

Next week on Behind The Laughter...Huckleberry Hound

Huckleberry Hound: I was so gay but I couldn't tell anyone.

Season 12 was the first outright bad season. But I think the Simpsons is like pizza, even bad pizza isn't all that terrible. Almost everything since Season 10 with the exception of two or three episodes has paled in comparison to The Simpsons glory years.

Well, I know a lot of these lines so well because of the dvds. Which is, you know, only up to season ten.

I'd still call 9 the last great season. 10 was 50/50. 11 was not so good, but had a handful of great episodes (tomacco, 'Saddlesore Galactica'... which I know a lot of people would even call worst episode ever, but I love that one. Because it's so bad, really. That had to be intentional.)

Not to go off on a tangent here, but I'm wondering if the Cake song "The Distance" will be intact in the season 11 dvds, for 'Saddlesore Galactica'. They always dub over it in reruns, but it was in the original airing.

Comic Book Guy acting as a hardcore Simpsons fanatic while the town loudly exclaims "NO!", they do not care what he thinks, lends to your theory.

Another favourite from A Milhouse Divided.

Kirk: Sure. Divorce. Hey, you got it toots! And here's a picture even you can figure out! [draws a circle in a rectangle] It's a door! Use it!

Homer: That's a door!?

I think nostalgia plays a part in it. The Simpsons currently is far from a 'bad' show, if you treat it as a stand-alone episode in TV. But when you compare it to the older seasons... well, even the goofier stuff that'd get ridiculed today worked back then, put it that way.

I was watching the episode where they went to the Ranch on vacation the other day and it was a perfectly funny episode. Didn't enjoy it as much as the older seasons and some bits were absolute duds (Maggie dancing to Britney Spears, the car kicking into the air like a horse at the end), but it was still a good show. And I don't know why, but The Moe Syzlak Connection song at the end always cracks me up.

From "A Tale Of Two Springfields" (Season 12)

Homer: Television broken?

Bart: No. There's a badger in there.

Homer: Badger my ass, it's probably just Milhouse. *crawls into doghouse* Milhouse ... Milhouse!

*the badger attacks

Homer: Yep. It's a badger, alright.

Lisa: How did the badger do that without ripping your shirt?

Homer: What am I, a tailor?

German Managers: Attention workers, we have completed our evaluation of the plant. We regret to announce the following lay-offs, which I will read in alphabetical order... Simpson, Homer. That is all.

Is it 'car hold' or 'car hole'? Because when Moe says it, it sounds like 'hold', but when Homer says it later, it sounds like 'hole'.

I'm pretty sure it's car hole, at least that's how I've always heard it whenever Moe or Homer said it.

German Managers: Attention workers, we have completed our evaluation of the plant. We regret to announce the following lay-offs, which I will read in alphabetical order... Simpson, Homer. That is all.

Mmmmm.....the land of chocolate!

A really underrated and one of my favorite episodes, Dead Putting Society. The entire episode is just great. Especially Homer's rant about naming his club.

"YOUR PUTTER'S NAME IS CHARLENE!"

"Why?"

"Because it IS."

And I don't know why, but The Moe Syzlak Connection song at the end always cracks me up.

Yes! That's probably the only bit from the past 5 or so seasons I can quote off the top of my head. The episode itself isn't that great but I crack up whenever I hear that song "Moe Moe Moe. How do you like me? How do you like me? Moe Moe Moe? Why don't you like me? Nobody likes me!"

I'm kind of curious to hear everybody's thoughts on The Principal and The Pauper? A lot of people think it's the moment the show jumped the shark but I'm not so sure myself. Part of me thinks it was just a parody of "shocking episodes" and it's not like the changes lasted more than an episode like Barney becoming sober (Which was around the time I stopped watching regularly).

According to Ken Keeler the episode is some master plan to show how small minded the internet (at the time a "small community of fans", much like Springfield is a small community) can be in regards to a slight change in someone you've known for years, and it worked. That's what I took out of his DVD commentary, anyway.

Wikipedia says...

This episode is about a community of people who like things just the way they are. Skinner's not really close to these people - he's a minor character - but they get upset when someone comes in and says 'this is not really the way things are' and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. And when the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.

According to Ken Keeler the episode is some master plan to show how small minded the internet (at the time a "small community of fans", much like Springfield is a small community) can be in regards to a slight change in someone you've known for years, and it worked. That's what I took out of his DVD commentary, anyway.

Wikipedia says...

This episode is about a community of people who like things just the way they are. Skinner's not really close to these people - he's a minor character - but they get upset when someone comes in and says 'this is not really the way things are' and they run the messenger out of town on the rail. And when the episode aired, lo and behold, a community of people who like things just the way they are got mad. It never seems to have occurred to anyone that this episode is about the people who hate it.

The DVD commentary brings up a few good points actually. My opinion was pretty much summed up on the DVD commentary too (yes, I'm a nerd, shock horror) by either Josh Weinstein or Bill Oakley. As an actual stand alone episode of The Simpsons, it's perfectly good and the story itself is interesting. But it is a pretty 'out there' idea compared to most episodes. Most of the episodes that are a little different, you can usually tell before they come on. Shows like the Spinoff Showcase or Behind The Laughter, you know it's something different coming up. This one, it kinda sneaks up on you, just a normal episode and then suddenly 'what the hell, Skinner's an imposter, where did that come from!?' I think that's why most people who hate it do hate it. Which I guess proves Keeler's point.

I mean I like the episode fine, I like the story fine, but I'm still not keen on the general idea that Skinner isn't Skinner, but I don't know why exactly.

[Homer goes to the post office to intercept the harsh mailing he sent to Burns.]

Homer: "Hello! I'm Mis-ter Burns. I be-lieve you have a pac-kage for me!"

Postal worker: "Okay, Mr. Burns, what's your first name?"

Homer: "I...don't know."

[Homer turns and leaves.]

The DVD commentary brings up a few good points actually. My opinion was pretty much summed up on the DVD commentary too (yes, I'm a nerd, shock horror) by either Josh Weinstein or Bill Oakley. As an actual stand alone episode of The Simpsons, it's perfectly good and the story itself is interesting. But it is a pretty 'out there' idea compared to most episodes. Most of the episodes that are a little different, you can usually tell before they come on. Shows like the Spinoff Showcase or Behind The Laughter, you know it's something different coming up. This one, it kinda sneaks up on you, just a normal episode and then suddenly 'what the hell, Skinner's an imposter, where did that come from!?' I think that's why most people who hate it do hate it. Which I guess proves Keeler's point.

I mean I like the episode fine, I like the story fine, but I'm still not keen on the general idea that Skinner isn't Skinner, but I don't know why exactly.

That commentary was fun, since the writers or whoever were so defensive about the concept. They really spent the 1st half utterly whining about how people trash the episode.

Homer: Hi Marge, hi kids, hi Santa's Little Helper...wait a minute, that isn't Santa's Little Helper.

Marge: This is Laddie. Bart won him at a church festival two counties over.

Lisa: In a truth telling contest, right Bart?

Bart: I may have fibbed a little bit.

This episode is priceless. Easily one of my favourite episodes.

Homer: Hi Marge, hi kids, hi Santa's Little Helper...wait a minute, that isn't Santa's Little Helper.

Marge: This is Laddie. Bart won him at a church festival two counties over.

Lisa: In a truth telling contest, right Bart?

Bart: I may have fibbed a little bit.

This episode is priceless. Easily one of my favourite episodes.

Homer: Well, crying won't bring him back, unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can either sit here crying and eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell enough like dog food to make your dog come back, or you can get out there and find your dog!

Bart: You're right! I'll do it! (runs out)

Homer: Rats! I almost had him eating dog food.

"Knife goes in, guts come out"

"'You have to answer 1 question about Japan' \

'Is the answer Japan?'

'Actually, it is.'"

Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo is one of my favorite episodes.

The George Takai cameo is great.

I love when I'm listening to the commentary for an episode, hear a joke on the show I really like, and hear "That's a John Swartzwelder line." Guys so great.