TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball

Roberto Hernandez has been solid. Mike DeJean pitched well last year; I haven't been following them too much. But Looper has killed it.

Mark Teixeira is starting to heat up, his second two-run homer of the game for a 10-1 run lead. As one sided as the score is it should really be even worse for the Yankees, Texas leaving a ton on base, notably Hank Blalock with 8 so far.

Ugh. Maddux was rolling along and was through 6 2/3 innings in under 70 pitches. A couple of cheapie hits, pass ball, stolen base and a double ties it at two. All of this with two outs. The worst part is it could be 3-2, but Lee was thrown out trying to steal in the inning before, which was followed by Aramis drawing a walk and Dubois doubling.

Man, you've gotta be kidding me. Cubs take the lead on a Patterson homer; Lee doubles, Aramis flies out and what does Dusty do? Pinch hits Macias for Dubois, just because he can bat left-handed. Of course, the Bucs make a pitching change and bring in a lefty. Christ, that fucker is stupid.

And right on cue, Latroy gives up a solo homer and we're tied. This closer situation needs to be fixed. Hawkins can't get it done with a lead of only one. Hope Dusty's happy that he brought in a guy who was batting .071 for a guy hitting .333.

And with only 101 pitches, I see.

Bucs lead now and with the bottom of the order up, looks like it'll be another trip below .500 for this maddening group of Cubbies. Let's try and make Mesa throw some pitches, though, okay?

And with only 101 pitches, I see.

Bucs lead now and with the bottom of the order up, looks like it'll be another trip below .500 for this maddening group of Cubbies. Let's try and make Mesa throw some pitches, though, okay?

Yep. And gets the win with Walkers game winning hit in the bottom of the tenth against Brad Lidge.

I hate how the Cubs will seemingly be done, make a comeback and then it falls short. Patterson K's with the tying run on third to end the game. Dusty needs to go and we need to get LaTroy into the set-up spot.

If his last two games are any indication it certainly looks like Mulder's gotten over whatever caused him to completely fall apart over the second half of last season.

I really think Dusty is praised by the media because he's the "anti-moneyball" manager, he promotes small ball and focuses on "intangibles" Plus he's a "player's manager", which all the ex-player analysts seem to love. Chris Russo has praised Dusty for years as being "easy to play for" and that he "brings out the best in mediocre players" His moves in the playoffs in 2000 against the Mets were some of the worst I've ever seen. I don't care that he is a "good motivator" he is terrible at in-game decisions, he has been his entire career as a manager, not just now.

I'm convinced this team will not contend unless Hawkins is moved into the set-up role and Dusty goes. The former is probably going to happen, but the latter, fat chance. He's one of the worst managers I've ever seen in the game and the fact that he continues to be praised sickens me.

I don't think they have a chance with him as the closer. But from the sounds of the press conference that followed the game, they may be changing that. I just don't see how anyone can watch a single Cubs game and still defend Baker and praise him as a genius.

I think the Cubs window was 03-04. I just can't see them advancing to the playoffs this year, unless they get some major help in July/August.

I think the Cubs window was 03-04. I just can't see them advancing to the playoffs this year, unless they get some major help in July/August.

I don't think that's true. They were a more talented team in '04 than in '03. They just got lucky and hot at the right time in 2003. People act like this team has gone to hell without Sosa and Alou. They're not playing well right now, but it'd be no better with those two. Alou's played one game and Sosa's not doing a whole lot in Baltimore so far. It really boils down to Dusty.

And on the Braves game, Chip Carey just said the Yanks placed Wright on the DL.

The way the Braves are playing right now, I can see them going on one of their classic runs, like 23 of 30 or something similar. 5-0 Braves bottom of the 1st

I don't think they have a chance with him as the closer. But from the sounds of the press conference that followed the game, they may be changing that. I just don't see how anyone can watch a single Cubs game and still defend Baker and praise him as a genius.

He got two outs and gave up a HR to a good power hitter. Even good pitchers give up runs. Before this, Hawkins had not allowed a run in his last five appearances. If you can find better closer, that's great. The problem is, I don't see who is around that is both better than Hawkins, and available. Instead of fretting about Hawkins, I would worry that the Cubs are going to overpay for a piece of crap like Jose Mesa.

So here is a little game for all of you Cub fans. Come up with a reasonable trade proposal that would net your team the proven closer you need.

Guest Smues
The way the Braves are playing right now, I can see them going on one of their classic runs, like 23 of 30 or something similar. 5-0 Braves bottom of the 1st

It's possible, but usually those don't happen until late June.

Well, now that the NL East games are out of the way - this is their chance. They aren't going to run off a streak like that when they have a long division game stretch.

He got two outs, but not before giving up the homer and walking the winning run. I know closers don't always get the job done, but it seems like unless Hawkins has a lead of at least two, he'll blow it. Something I have noticed, though, is the blown saves seem to happen at home.

So here is a little game for all of you Cub fans. Come up with a reasonable trade proposal that would net your team the proven closer you need.

I'm one of the people who thinks Hawkins needs to be moved to the set-up role where he excells. But off the top of my head, the Cubs don't have anyone that could fill the closer role. I think there are maybe five truly dominant closers that are almost always lights out, so I don't expect them to land such a closer. People say they should've gone after Benitez and Percival, but judging by their performances so far, I'd say it was a better bet that they didn't.

Al would make a better Cubs fan than any of us on the board since he's always able to put a positive spin on bad situations. It's just becoming clear that Dusty at the helm isn't going to get the job done.

Al would make a better Cubs fan than any of us on the board since he's always able to put a positive spin on bad situations. It's just becoming clear that Dusty at the helm isn't going to get the job done.

It's a skill you have to have to survive as a baseball fan, honestly.