TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Does the public know it's no longer WWF?

I was watching a story on hip-hop beefs tonight, and The Source magazine was asking the question "Is hip-hop turning into the WWF?" A motorcycle maagzine featuring Bill Goldberg also called him WWF Champion. In 2002 Jay-Z described his battle with Nas as some "WWF typoe of shit." Many people will give you wierd looks if you call it WWE.

It's been three years, and people still don't know.

Even when WCW was hot, you had mainstream media calling it 'WWF'. It's just ingrained in pop culture that wrestling = WWF. All the advertising in the world wouldn't be able to 'get the F out'.

In an ironic twist, WCW had one thing on MTV in 1998, where two wrestlers would come out and they would have a selected video. Then people would vote for their favorite video. To advertise this they showed clips of the Headbangers, Stone Cold, and others, and the voice over said "Join the stars of WCW..." and I'm thinking, "Those people are in the WWF!"

Guest Hass of Pain

It probably has something to do with the fact that around 99% of the American population doesn't give a shit about professional wrestling under any name. Sad but true.

It probably has something to do with the fact that around 99% of the American population doesn't give a shit about professional wrestling under any name. Sad but true.

You may think he's exaggerating, but I did the math, and that figure's actually pretty close.

Well, yeah.

About 4 million people regularly watch Raw.

About 4 million regularly watch Smackdown.

1/3rd of that 8 million watch both. So that's 6.64 million viewers.

The US population is about 290 million.

6.64/290= 2.29%

So no less than (but possibly more than) 97.7% don't give a shit about the WWE.

I still have some friends who still call it The WWF all the time. I used to try to correct them but have given up on it since its a loosing battle.

Well the thing is WWE just has this inherent gay sound to it...I can't hardly bring myself to say WWE either. My brother flat out refuses, he just calls it the WWF to this day. Much like when the Oakland Raiders were the LA Raiders, people still just called them Oakland and they eventually moved back. Same deal here, through force of will everyone just call WWE the WWF and they'll eventually pay off the panda fuckers and go back to what they should be.

I haven't seen it as WWF much, myself.

However, it's almost, 99% of the time always listed as "WWE (formerly known as the WWF)", just to make sure that the reader or listener gets that associated mental image of cartoon character gimmicks, chairshots, and worked fights.

Guest jumpingbombangel

Most casual wrestling fans who watch on and off still call it the WWF. Most older people I know who have been watching for years and years will call it WWF even though they know of the name change.

Look at it like how some people will always call diapers "Pampers" and soda "Coke"...they know of the difference but rarely make the distinction in conversation.

When I talk about wrestling, it sounds weird when WWE comes out of my mouth. But when I talk about the past, I'll say WWF.

Also, with wrestling, there's still a lot of people that watch occasionally, but not every week or will watch part of the show, but not go through from start to finish. I'd say the total audience is probably just over three times the amount that watch one of the shows in a given week.

If that's the case, then there are still 20 million people that follow wrestling to some degree. That leaves roughly 93% of America doesn't give a shit about wrestling whatsoever.

i refuse to say wwe.

I'm conditioned to always say WWE unless quoting from, say, a promo. Yes, that means that according to me Bret Hart was a five-time WWE Champion.

Yeah but WWE is something that has no rhythm to it, it doesn't sound right coming out of your mouth. When I first heard it I actively winced at how horrible it was. If I was Vince I'd have blown up the wildlife HQ rather than changed my company's name. Or just thrown a couple million at them, or kept them tied up in court forever. ANYTHING but what they actually did.

Like when people used to say, "the WCW."

You mean Bret Hart?

And people, just call it WWE. Get over it. WWF is never coming back so stop being so stubborn about it.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave
Yeah but WWE is something that has no rhythm to it, it doesn't sound right coming out of your mouth. When I first heard it I actively winced at how horrible it was. If I was Vince I'd have blown up the wildlife HQ rather than changed my company's name. Or just thrown a couple million at them, or kept them tied up in court forever. ANYTHING but what they actually did.

Go with the flow, you get used to it.

Guest MikeSC

The name is lame.

-=Mike

...Not that there were much better options than WWE...

I don't know about that, Mike. Remember Dusty Rhodes' Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling? WWF should have changed their name to the Turnbuckle Wrestling Federation!

Guest MikeSC
I don't know about that, Mike. Remember Dusty Rhodes' Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling? WWF should have changed their name to the Turnbuckle Wrestling Federation!

If they had any balls, they'd name themselves the Shizz-nit.

-=Mike

...I understand the Hunter Wrestling Federation was the #2 option...