TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Strange Wrestling Exits

I can't believe I forgot "I respect you, bookerman!" which was to be a worked shoot but ended up as a real shoot

Actually, Pillman attacked the Dungeon of Doom on Nitro a couple of weeks after that incident. He was also supposed to be a part of the Uncensored main event, but refused after he realized that it would be the worst match ever.

Guest LooneyTune
Isn't the rumor that Warrior ran directly from the ring right out the door at SummerSlam '91, ending that run? If that's the case, that's my personal favorite.

I don't know... I find that to be a little exaggerated. But this is Warrior afterall, so it might be true.

Steve McMichael getting bleach thrown in his eyes on Nitro in Feb of 99 by Hogan, never to be heard/talked of/seen from in WCW again.

Ha. Me and a friend always talk about that. We said it'd be great that if they were at that arena they'd do a skit where Flair is walking in the back and he finds Mongo rubbing his eyes from the bleach, even thought it happened five years before (we talked about it in 2004). Mongo could ask him if he was still a member of 4H, and Flair'd tell him he now hangs out with Triple H (big Mongo reaction), Randy Orton (big reaction "the son of the cowboy?"), and Batista. Mongo could then go, "Whooooo?"

He'd then turn around to find HHH, Orton and Batista and the big man would go, "Batista." Mongo would go, "You're the new horsemen?" Batista would go, "No...we're Evolution" and then give Mongo a spinebuster.

That's the kind of cameo I want to see Mongo in.

Chris Candido has a strange exit from WCW in 2000. See the thread.

He comes in, they put the Cruiser title on him and bring in Tammy. Short reign, he ends up losing the thing to Daffney. He starts jobbing around, getting squashed 30 seconds into "gauntlet" matches against Nash and Steiner. Seems like he's on his way out. Then they do a very brief Triple Threat gimmick with Douglas/Bigelow/Candido, and he gets a couple wins. His last match he and Bigelow got a win over Bagwell. Then he disappears.

Guest netslob

i remember Brian Lee's exit from ECW being a little abrupt. he turned on the Triple Threat and sided with Rick Rude, and made out with Francine in the process. then...nothing. the only other time it was ever mentioned was when Rude cut an interview on Douglas, and made some allusion to "Francine having one foot in Brian Lee's bed." a month or so later, Lee shows up on WWF tv as "Chainz" of the DOA. i always felt somewhat unresolved with that.

Guest LooneyTune
How about Malenko's departure...

The Catch as Catch Can match, which he loses...then he's gone.

The joke RD Reynolds had about that was quite funny. "Maybe he just wanted to leave WCW as fast as he can."

Then in a move that really was stupid, Marc Mero was on the UK PPV "Capital Carnage", which was covered by Jim Ross saying he was finishing his contractual agreements.

I haven't read the whole thread, so not sure if this was mentioned but when Mr.Perfect beat Ric Flair in the losers leave match Vince McMahon said after the match "I've been told that Ric Flair will have to complete his contractual obligations over the weekend, but after that it's all downhill from there."

Then in a move that really was stupid, Marc Mero was on the UK PPV "Capital Carnage", which was covered by Jim Ross saying he was finishing his contractual agreements.

I haven't read the whole thread, so not sure if this was mentioned but when Mr.Perfect beat Ric Flair in the losers leave match Vince McMahon said after the match "I've been told that Ric Flair will have to complete his contractual obligations over the weekend, but after that it's all downhill from there."

Plus the fact that the match really happened before the 93 Royal Rumble...which Flair was in.

Guest LooneyTune

I can understand the person competing on house shows (or stuff that isn't being taped for television like Flair and Savage did), but the Mero thing was on a UK PPV. I know people in the states didn't see it until it was released on video, but that's a little sloppy.

Guest jm29195

It's not like WWE are adverse to changing cards for British ppvs at the last minute, the card for Insurextion 03 was changed about 3 times in the week prior to the ppv with main event at one point being Steiner/Nash vs HHH/Flair (in June 03!!!)

Guest PlatinumBoy
-Arn Anderson WWF

This is strictly the AA character, not sure if he's ever been part of the security detail that holds back wrestlers since, but the last time we saw him he was being peeded on by Steve Austin (also the last time we saw Austin for a while as well)

Actually Arn came out later as AA when Flair wrestled Vince for Raw and Smackdown control. He came out when Flair had Vince in the figure four and told Vince to submit, then out comes Brock who punks Arn out, Arn leaves, and Brock F-5's Flair for a Vince win. This was also the night Austin left.

Other than that, Arn WAS part of the gaggle of officials who separated JBL and Eddie Guerrero after their match at Judgment Day 2004.

What about Hogan's Mr. America gimmick. When Vince came out and explained that he took the mask off at a house show, where cameras were present thus providing grounds for his release. (Now I do remember Hogan walking out two weeks before this)

Guest LooneyTune

Hogans final WWF appearence was the June 24th, 2003 taping of Smackdown from MSG. The footage that McMahon had aired the next week, because Hogan had quit following the previous weeks taping.

That whole Mr. America thing was just weird. not to mention stupid.

I loved the Mr America gimmick. Whatever it took to keep HULK HOGAN making his entrance to Real American, instead of Voodoo Chile was fine with me.

Chris Candido has a strange exit from WCW in 2000. See the thread.

He comes in, they put the Cruiser title on him and bring in Tammy. Short reign, he ends up losing the thing to Daffney. He starts jobbing around, getting squashed 30 seconds into "gauntlet" matches against Nash and Steiner. Seems like he's on his way out. Then they do a very brief Triple Threat gimmick with Douglas/Bigelow/Candido, and he gets a couple wins. His last match he and Bigelow got a win over Bagwell. Then he disappears.

He broke his arm and Bischoff fired him for daring to be injured.

No, Benoit was not.

Arn was, and apologized for "making a mistake" (Sid's leg under rope during Crossface tapout) and announced that "it's like the match never happened."

That pissed me off so much, as I hadn't been online that day and had yet to have heard of benoit quitting wcw, though the rumors before the ppv sugested he was upset.

Guest JMA

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bret Hart's departure from the WWF. That was probably the most surreal thing that I had seen up until that point in wrestling (there were things later on that were even crazier).

Matt Hardy's dismissal from WWE was also strange (both on and off-screen).

Guest jm29195

Nathan Jones' exit from WWE, he waited until they flew to Australia and then just skipped a show and went home, refusing to come back because he didn't like the lifestyle....

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bret Hart's departure from the WWF. That was probably the most surreal thing that I had seen up until that point in wrestling (there were things later on that were even crazier).

Matt Hardy's dismissal from WWE was also strange (both on and off-screen).

This actually reminded me of Owen's death, with them being Harts and all. That's about the strangest wrestling exit, not to mention most tragic obviously.

Anyone remember Chris Jericho's last WCW TV appearence? I seem to remember him jobbing to Booker T and Scott Steiner before they took him off TV. 

Jericho was in the US title tournament in March 99. He does a clean job to Booker, then during the Spring Break Nitro asks to be put back in by Flair. Flair puts him back in and he does another clean job, this time to Steiner, via the Steiner Recliner.

At GAB 99 at the WCW.com internet table!

I thought it was pretty surreal that Nash and Goldberg both lost looser never wrestles for WCW matches again matches and both adhered to the stips....

I guess both were set to make comebacks eventually, but of course, WCW went out of business.

And yes, Jericho's last appearance was at GAB 99, when Sting and Rick Steiner fought all the way over to the WCW.com table.