TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

One and Only Star Wars Geekiness Thread

Guest Vitamin X
When it comes to Order 66, Jango Fett's "They'll do thier jobs well, I guarantee that" line now has more meaning, as someone pointed out. That shit faced smirk had made after he said that line said it all. His clones took out the Jedi, the same people the Mandalorian warriors.

MANDALORIANS~! This is a pretty helpful guide for anyone who's played any EU Star Wars games and wanted them connected to the movies->

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dates_in_Star_Wars

It goes from the beginning to the last known chapter in the EU. Includes everything from the books, the movies, the games, everything. It was especially interesting to see how the Sith and the Jedi developed their own views on the Force.

damn thats a whole lot of info dude, thanks a lot for posting that.

I liked that they had another Mandalorian in the Marvel Comic (Fenn Shysa). Basically he was an ally who was a minor romantic rival of Han's for Leia's attention, but it was cool nonetheless.

thank goodness for the EU, because it took the ball that was Star Wars and ran with it. Thank goodness Lucas did that, even if he was doing it to line his own pockets.

I only read the original Zahn Trilogy when it came out. What would be some other worthwhile EU books/seriers?

P.S. Thrawn was so the shit, and was actually a pretty admirable villain. He won by just completely outthinking the new Republic, or whatever the government the rebels set up is called.

I only read the original Zahn Trilogy when it came out. What would be some other worthwhile EU books/seriers?

P.S. Thrawn was so the shit, and was actually a pretty admirable villain. He won by just completely outthinking the new Republic, or whatever the government the rebels set up is called.

Yeah Thrawn was the shit.

Personally, I like the Han Solo series (prequel series that follows Han from childhood all the way up to his first appearance in ANH). Also really enjoyed the X-Wing series. Series of 9 paperbacks that followed Wedge Antilles through Rogue and Wraith Squadrons after ROTJ. Introduced many characters that are used in other books, such as Corran Horn, Booster and Mirax Terrik, Iella Wessiri, and Gavin Darklighter (among others).

Definitely the X-Wing series. Of the two authors, I prefer Allston to Stackpole as his characters have more flair and he makes better use of humour. Corran Horn who features prominently in the Stackpole books is pretty bland compared to the heroes in Wraith Squadron. Some of them are borderline insane.

Another good series is the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin which includes alot of the early stuff about Han's career, from his entrance/expulsion with the Imperial Academy to the final flameout with Lando that is touched upon in ESB. Most of the big events are in there (meeting with Chewie, winning the Millenium Falcon, signing up with Jabba, etc.) Probably the most interesting part of the books is the Godfather-esque relationships between the various Hutt families. Jabba is actually given a real character here.

Definitely the X-Wing series. Of the two authors, I prefer Allston to Stackpole as his characters have more flair and he makes better use of humour. Corran Horn who features prominently in the Stackpole books is pretty bland compared to the heroes in Wraith Squadron. Some of them are borderline insane.

Another good series is the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin which includes alot of the early stuff about Han's career, from his entrance/expulsion with the Imperial Academy to the final flameout with Lando that is touched upon in ESB. Most of the big events are in there (meeting with Chewie, winning the Millenium Falcon, signing up with Jabba, etc.) Probably the most interesting part of the books is the Godfather-esque relationships between the various Hutt families. Jabba is actually given a real character here.

Agreed. I always laud the Han Solo Trilogy to a great degree. Next to Zahn's trilogy its the best one out there. If Zahn's trilogy is #1, then the Han Solo Trilogy is #1a.

I liked Corran Horn from the jump, though yes, Wraith Squadron is more entertaining. The X-Wing series is 9 books long, but it is worht every page.

Yeah Stackpole was pretty good with his part of the series (mainly the Bacta War part), but Allston was great at showing Wraith Squadron as a bunch of last chancers who would have been drummed out long ago if it weren't for the fact that the Rebellion needed everyone they could get. I'm still pissed about him killing *edited for content* though. They were just so bitter and sarcastic about everything. But between Face Loran, Kell Tainer, Falynn Sandskimmer, and basically the entire squadron, I hope they had a pshrink handy. Allston really let Wes and Hobbie shine in Starfighters of Adumar though. It might be my favorite of the series.

Edited to save Justice's eyes. I kept the description since it could apply to a couple of people in Wraith Squadron.

I bought the first Thrawn trilogy when it came out and I enjoyed it, even if it didn't really feel like Star Wars. I couldn't get over the ysalamiri as one of the worst plot devices ever or the "just happen to have Luke's hand" stuff. But it made up for it with the awesome character of Thrawn. he felt like a Star Wars villain even if none of the other new characters fit.

Then I read the Jedi Academy Trilogy by Kevin J. Anderson... and I decided then and there that I had better ways to spend my time than reading any of the expanded universe stuff. It was just... bad. In every way.

Besides, for me it doesn't add anything to the story to know the EU stuff. It's not like Lucas paid any attention to it when he was making the the prequels.

Oh, and as long as I am ranting on the EU, I almost got back into it when they changed publishers and decided that all of the novels would tie together in one long story arc... then i found out about the yuzhon-vong or whatever their names were. Living beings outside the Force kind of messes with the whole cosmology of the Star Wars universe, doesn't it?

I can never get spoiler tags to werk so....

SPOILERS

Have just got back from seeing ROTS, loved it, definatly in the top 3.

Things I liked:

The fact the jedi could have stopped the turn of Anakin if they had just listened to him, or shown him some trust and appreciation. Example, after having the visions of Padme dieing he goes to Yoda for some advice and comfort. Yoda just blows him off with the usual guff about letting go of what he loves, when what Anakin really needs is some support. Same goes for Mace, if he had just shown a bit more trust in Anakin, he could probably have convinced him to let him stop Sidious.

Leading on from above, the fact that Sidious had a point, the Jedi where arrogant and distant. It wasn't till too late they realised they were vunerable, and their teachings had flaws.

Order 66, made me think of the Night Of The Long Knives, using a military force to do your dirty werk and then stabbing them in the back when they outlived there usefullness.

Christopher Lee, with one expression conveying the nobility of Count Dooku's aristocratic background, instead of begging for his life and telling Anakin of Palpatines treachery, taking the killing blow like a man.

Little background details, like the prototype Star Destroyers with the Republican colours, Clone Troopers walking around with there masks off all looking like Fett.

What I didn't like:

Obi-Wan leaving his friend to die in agony, I don't believe Kenobi would let him suffer like that.

I would have liked to have seen seen more of Bail Organa setting up the rebellion, maybe for the TV series.

More Grevious and Dooku would have been nice.

By the point that battle took place, Vader had killed Younglings and others, betrayed the council and even Force Choked Padme....

They weren't friends anymore.

Dames

I can see that, but I just don't get the feeling that it would be in Obi Wans nature or a Jedi's nature to let anyone truley suffer like that. Plus Kenobi tells Anakin not to try the leap that allows him to defeat him, I don't think in his heart he truely wants to kill him while there may be a chance to save him

"I couldn't get over the ysalamiri as one of the worst plot devices ever ..."

Well, if you think about it now with the prequels...perhaps the ysalamiri just block out the Midichlorians' contact with a human, thus making thier awareness of The Force dulled to an extent that they can't use it.

That's my theory on the subject, anyway.

There comes a point where someone is just so far gone you have to do what you can to stop him. That was Obi-Wan's stance, as Anakin showed during that duel that anything they had as friends was long gone when Anakin turned to the dark side.

I think that Obi-Wan should have killed him, but that would have destroyed the reason for the Trilogy in the first place.

And the Jedi Academy was pure, unmitigated garbage. Stackpole writing I, Jedi made it only slightly more palatable. Understand that there are really crappy EU novels.

And do NOT get me started on the New Jedi Order series. That was a horrible idea the whole way around, from the concept to the execution. I refused to read any more of it after the first three novels.

Its your opinion, Kaertos, but I think Zahn captured the Star Wars atmosphere almost perfectly.

Hmm...maybe someone can help me out here...

How many different mixes of the Imperial March are there?

I have the Original, Rage, and Leviathan mixes...

Are their any others?

Guest Askewniverse
I can see that, but I just don't get the feeling that it would be in Obi Wans nature or a Jedi's nature to let anyone truley suffer like that. Plus Kenobi tells Anakin not to try the leap that allows him to defeat him, I don't think in his heart he truely wants to kill him while there may be a chance to save him

You could argue that it wouldn't be in a Jedi's nature to help a Sith. Anakin Skywalker ceased to exist by the time Obi-Wan confronted him on Mustafar. As Yoda told Obi-Wan, "The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader."

Christopher Lee, with one expression conveying the nobility of Count Dooku's aristocratic background, instead of begging for his life and telling Anakin of Palpatines treachery, taking the killing blow like a man.

That wasn't taking it like a man, that was him being shocked by the realization that Palpatine had been playing him all along to get to Anakin, and that he was ultimately expendable.

I would have liked to have seen seen more of Bail Organa setting up the rebellion, maybe for the TV series.

Those scene's were shot, and will most likely be on the DVD.

And I don't think Obi-wan would kill Anakin, because it is against the Jedi code to kill an unarmed (no pun intended), defenslis person like Anakin was at the end of the duel. To do so would be to give into his anger.

Yeah, in one of the versions I believe he was supposed to cry out "You promised me amnesty!" after he says "Kill him."

I don't like the idea of seeing it. In the opening titles of ANH, it says that the Rebels had won their first victory against the Empire when they got the Death Star plans. Are we supposed to believe that they got their asses kicked across the galaxy for 20 years and managed to survive?

My impression from the originals is that there was a lot of discontent within the Imperial Senate, but that they had only managed to pool their resources into an organized rebellion rather recently. Sort of like how tension was strong in the US for years before the South finally seceded.

They did film the scenes, but I do think it is better that they aren't in there. ROTS is about the Empire first and foremost. ANH is about the Rebellion.

Nice picture of Ackbar.

I dunno about the TV series. They really should go back to the Rebellion Era and do some stories there... if they adapted the Han Solo Trilogy and did it well, they would make a killing.

Note of interest- in the novelization, Padme is talked into signing a petition demanding that Palpatine give up his emergency powers and return control of the Republic to the Senate. This petition is signed by 2000 senators (except for Bail Organa, for reasons that elude me) and presented to the Chancelor. Shortly after (or right before) he names himself Emperor, we learn that most of the signees have been arrested or have dissapeared, and that Padme is only safe because she's with Anakin. PAdme talks Bail out of signing the bill, and tells him to fight for justice inside the system.

Another note of interst- while reading the 'Making Of' book for Ep 3, you can really se how little everybody likes Jar Jar. From the producers asking (hopefully) if Jar Jar gets a death scene, to Lucas joking that Jar Jar was reassigned to Alderann (which was later blown up), it becomes clear that EVERYBODY hates him.

Guest JMA

My favorite part of the movie was when Obi-Wan just LEFT Anakin to burn. He didn't try to help him or put him out of his misery--he just walked away. It was a very dark moment for Obi-Wan, whether it was justified or not.

Guest SP-1

I've wrestled with Obi-Wan in light of the prequels. And from what I've come to with myself regarding him, I think it works for him to walk away. I think that last verbal exchange between them sealed his perception that Anakin Skywalker had been betrayed and murdered by the person of Darth Vader. He seems to view them as distinct entities in the Original Trilogy and I can see that moment defining that for him.

Guest JMA
I've wrestled with Obi-Wan in light of the prequels.  And from what I've come to with myself regarding him, I think it works for him to walk away.  I think that last verbal exchange between them sealed his perception that Anakin Skywalker had been betrayed and murdered by the person of Darth Vader.  He seems to view them as distinct entities in the Original Trilogy and I can see that moment defining that for him.

I agree, SP. I think that he's partially correct in viewing Anakin and Vader as too seperate personalities to an extent. However, I also think that part of the reason he thinks that is because he still can't accept that his student would become so dark and twisted.