TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Biggest Underachievers

They didn't have the talent, but Billy Gunn and Test spring to mind. They were given numerous chances and failed to make it big. Lex Luger has to qualify based on the Lex Express fiasco. The most expensive push in WWF history, and he still couldn't get over.

well he got over....WWE didn't capitalize on him. Which if they had, it wouldn't have changed the business or anything. But it would have got him more over.

Raven come to my mind....maybe?

It's hard to say underachiever or didn't use him right...it's hard to place blame.

Jeff Jarrett. At least, outside of the WWE. He did get over with the mysoginist gimmick in the WWE of course.

Dustin Rhodes was given a big push in WCW's early days, but he didn't make it 'big'. I can't remember him ever losing on PPV in the early 90s, until the NWA Tag Tournament Final in 92.

Guest LooneyTune

This may be a "on the fence" pick, but Sid Vicious in WWF.

1991-92: Hangs around for 4 months as a face, turns heel, feuds with Hogan, then... leaves.

1995: Hangs around feuding with Diesel and joins Corporation, then leaves.

1996-97: Finally wins the title (twice), both reigns not being very good, and then leaves again.

Shane Douglas - outside of ECW

Taz - Outside of ECW

Tune, I wouldn't say Sid was a dissappointment in the WWF. He never got to the level he did in WCW in terms of importance, but he got mega over in Summer 96.

I'll give you 91/92 though.

Guest jm29195
They didn't have the talent, but Billy Gunn and Test spring to mind.

Billy Gunn I agree with as he was given several big pushes through 99-00 and never got anywhere, Test on the other hand was hugelyover as a face and would have stayed over if he hadn't been forgotten following the Steph/HHH wedding and the T&A tag team, just listen to the reaction he got from the MSG crowd at the 2000 Royal Rumble..... He also was very over as a heel around December 01 but was again depsuhed for no apparent reason along with RVD when HHH and the NWO returned in Jan/Feb 02, listen to the reaction from the crowd at No Mercy 01 and Vengance 01, he even had a program going with the Rock during the time that was pretty decent..... Finally he was over with Keibler as a heel during September 03 but that was scuppered due to him getting foot broken by Shane O Mac with a botched Van Terminator- otherwise he'd have been a member of the Bischoff elimination team instead of Steiner I suppose....

I'm, not saying that Test isn't a bad worker (although certainly better than Masters, Snitsky, Reigns and Heidenreich) but that he would've stayed over and achieved something if not for unfortunate injuries and shitty (for him) politics...

You guys are too hard on Billy Gunn. He becomes Mr. Ass euphemistically as well as literally and everybody accepts it, but he wasn't that bad. And he was over in short bursts.

Guest LooneyTune

I disagree with the part about Test being over with Stacy. It's been well documented that Stacy is a heat sucking machine. The fans don't react to people she managed, just her.

As for Test before that, he was over, but not main event over (except for the late 99 run).

Guest jm29195

How about Buff Bagwell then, he was given tons of shots to get over big time and blew all of them?

Lex Lugar and Jeff Jarrett definatley, those are the main two.

Ahmed Johnson is another one, if he didn't get injured so damn much, he would have been a main eventer in the late 90's IMO.

Guest jm29195
Buff only had the superstar look, not the superstar talent.

Yeah but he was still pushed as a player and didn't achieve much if anything....

I guess you can add pretty much the whole of the TNA main event as people who were pushed to the top but didn't achieve as much as people (or they personally) thought they would...

Jarrett- was the worst drawing WCW champ ever, now practising nepotism in TNA

Nash- had a boring 1 year wwf title reign, drew poorly

DDP- given title in 99 and swiftly shunted back to midcard when he didn't draw...

Gunn- see above, numerous pushes failed

Waltman- pushed above his status in 2002 nWo, accomplished nothing, developed prima donna complex to crusierweights and Booker T, was fired over drug problem

Guest Salacious Crumb

Keiji Mutoh is the first guy to pop into my mind. Extremely talented yet was phoning it in for large parts of his career.

Juventud Guerrera. One of the better workers around yet constantly blows his spot up with his attitude and demons.

Barry Windham. Was at one point arguably the best worker in America but got lazy and phoned it in for the rest of his career.

Low-Ki is quickly becoming an underachiever.

I'll add Brian Lawler to the list. Sure, Too Cool were over, but he had potential to be a singles star and always screwed it up. He wasn't horrible in the ring, but he never excelled like he could have.

Guest LooneyTune

I see Brian Lawler as someone who was pushed because his daddy pretty much ran the area, and that also had influence in other promotions. I would dare say he was pushed (a lot) harder in Memphis than Dusty pushed Dustin in WCW.

Billy Gunn was only over until he started getting pushed. The biggest one is Owen, I think. From what I've heard he wasn't really forceful enough with his own career. Of course, a lot of these picks are due to politics so it isn't fair to criticise the workers.

Mark Henry-they've tried so hard with him, but to no avail.

Guest LooneyTune
Mark Henry-they've tried so hard with him, but to no avail.

I think it would be safe to say that his run as Sexual Chocolate was a way of trying to make him quit. They have him under contract for 10 years for 1 million per year, so it's like they have to use him. (see also: the bitch who won the diva search that has no talent for wrestling)

Lex Lugar and Jeff Jarrett definatley, those are the main two.

Ahmed Johnson is another one, if he didn't get injured so damn much, he would have been a main eventer in the late 90's IMO.

I'll second all of those.

I also agree with Owen and Mark Henry.

And what became of the Patriot? 3 months as the top face in the WWF behind Austin, and then nothing?

Im suprised that no one has mentioned The Ultimate Warrior. The guy was supposed to be Hogans successor and well... we all know what happened there now didnt we?

How is Mark Henry an underachiever? The dude's no good. When I think "underachiever", I think of a guy w/ talent who just dogged it and/or pissed it all away and/or didn't perform up to his talent level.

Guest JMA

I'd have to say Scott Hall. The guy had talent, a great look, he could talk on the mic, was over, and had some powerful friends backing him. Unfortunately, his "personal demons" got the best of him. It's too bad, he could've been a much bigger star than he was (which was still pretty big).

Guest LooneyTune
Tune, I wouldn't say Sid was a dissappointment in the WWF. He never got to the level he did in WCW in terms of importance, but he got mega over in Summer 96.

I'll give you 91/92 though.

You're right... now that I think about it, Sid was more unreliable than he was an underachiever, except for the 1991-92 run where he clearly could've been the next big thing in WWF.

I just find it amazing that had Sid played his cards right while in ECW he would of most likely become there champion and then he would of been the only guy to hold the WWE, WCW & ECW titles.

Guest LooneyTune

Wait... Sid was in ECW? When was this and how many matches did he wrestle?

This I couldnt answer, all I know is that he was there, after he left the WWE around Wrestlemania 13.

Guest MikeSC
Wait... Sid was in ECW? When was this and how many matches did he wrestle?

He was on one of their PPV's in 1999. I believe the one with Taz v Bubba Ray in the ME.

And the crowd LOVED him, showing that they were not even close to being smarks.

-=Mike