TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Biggest Underachievers

Guest MikeSC
ECW fans cheering Sid was something I never quite understood.

They were marks.

Like ALL fans.

-=Mike

...Remember, they cheered the even LESS talented New Jack...

Guest LooneyTune

I'm not surprised, really. The NWA, then a "wrestling oriented" promotion, had fans going nuts for Sid in 1989-1990, even when he was doing the least bit of work in the ring.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Sid was just one of those mysteries in wrestling. He was insanely over for most of his career.

Guest LooneyTune

At least the ECW "mutants" were smart enough to boo the Bushwackers. How can anyone cheer for two marching idiots who licked people?

At least the ECW "mutants" were smart enough to boo the Bushwackers. How can anyone cheer for two marching idiots who licked people?

heh I always loved the Bushwackers actually. They are kind of a guily pleasure of mine.

Guest Hass of Pain

Shawn Stasiak. The guy had everything. He has a great look, great genetics, great family history in the business and he was athletic as all hell. I don't know what was missing, it looked like his self confidence, but it's a shame.

Guest LooneyTune

No doubt about the weirdo part. For some reason, he was tape recording conversations backstage, which lead to his original firing (or maybe the second).

Guest JMA
ECW fans cheering Sid was something I never quite understood.

Sid was always strangely over for some reason. I remember him getting cheered over Hulk Hogan and Shawn Michaels in the past.

Guest LooneyTune

No offense to Michaels, but I would hardly consider him one of the most over faces in wrestling. He's never been loved much in MSG (WWE's favorite local), and is hated beyond imagination in Canada. That's just to name a few places (and countries).

Guest jm29195
And what became of the Patriot? 3 months as the top face in the WWF behind Austin, and then nothing?

He suffered a nasty arm injury that basically ended his career...

Sid was booked superbly in his first run with NWA/WCW. That really helped. They made him look like a true monster, put over the powerbomb, he had enough charisma to get fans into his matches. How he managed to carry his popularity on to ECW and the WWF fans I don't know.

No offense to Michaels, but I would hardly consider him one of the most over faces in wrestling

He was though. Survivor Series 95? Rumble 96? IYH 2? The event where the barricade collapsed under the weight of fans trying to reach out to him (which I forget the name of)? IYH 7? Mania XV? Summerslam 02? You could argue Survivor Series 98, when the crowd were chanting for him.

Those are just off the top of my head and just the biggest reaction. Outside of MSG and Canada, he generally gets a good-very good reaction. I still don't understand the arguement against because it's clear he was over...and over doesn't just mean crowd pops.

To answer why ECW fans cheered for Sid...

Maybe after he attempted to stab Arn with the scissors, they thought "He's Hardcore, He's Hardcore."

Either that or they liked his "Sycho" (yes, I'm using the WWF/E Spelling) promos.

The event where the barricade collapsed under the weight of fans trying to reach out to him (which I forget the name of)?

IIRC, that was IYH International Incident in July 96.

He was on one of their PPV's in 1999. I believe the one with Taz v Bubba Ray in the ME.

Actually Sid was on the first three ECW PPV's of 1999.

He hammered John Kronus at Guilty as Charged, the Dudley Boyz & Spike Dudley at Living Dangerously and Justin Credible, Lance Storm & Judge Jeff Jones at Hardcore Heaven.

He also got put through a table by Sabu at Hardcore Heaven.

Sean O'Haire

He's more a victim of circumstance. He would have been pushed hard in WCW, and probably would have gotten over big time. WCW going out of business put an end to that.

He goes to the WWF, doesn't shake hands (or whatever BS reason), gets jobbed out & sent to OVW, where he bulks up, taking away the "big man who can fly" mystique about him that made him unique. Also working against him was the fact that Bischoff had big plans for him in WCW.

That's not to say he had the talent to go far, as he was probably OK (at best). He could have been a big star, but there was stuff largely out of his control that worked against him. Would've been interesting to see how he turned out had WCW not gone under.

Guest LooneyTune
The event where the barricade collapsed under the weight of fans trying to reach out to him (which I forget the name of)?

IIRC Part II: I remember most of those fans beeing teenage girls and boys and no males over 16.

I'm sure a pretty boy would get cheered by a bunch of bitches, because they are pretty boys. I'm just saying, Michaels was no where near the level of over for his position in the company in 1995-96 (except for the teenyboppers). Yes, he was over, but not "Superman over" like Sting or Hogan where they could get away with murder and still be cheered (unless they cut a very bitter and mean promo to turn heel, which Hogan did).

Also since I'm on Hogan, no, I don't consider the 1991-1994 years to be very good for him, because he hadn't changed up his gimmick sinced 1982, and thus grew old on fans.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The WWF completely ruined them. They were excellent brawlers before going there.

Guest LooneyTune

I can't believe they went from vicious heel savages to marching morons over night.

I really can't agree with the Lex Luger comment. He was always a name and he made millions of dollars. That sounds like a success to me.

IIRC Part II: I remember most of those fans beeing teenage girls and boys and no males over 16.

Agreed, That Hardy Boyz, Jeff in particular were hugly over but there fan base was mostly 13 year old teeny bopper girls.

Guest Salacious Crumb

HHH was a lot to do with the downfall of Jeff Hardy. His heat was never the same after the whole I.C. Title thing in 2001.

HHH was a lot to do with the downfall of Jeff Hardy. His heat was never the same after the whole I.C. Title thing in 2001.

Thank you Triple H for doing another service for the Sports Entertainment world.

I'm sure a pretty boy would get cheered by a bunch of bitches, because they are pretty boys. I'm just saying, Michaels was no where near the level of over for his position in the company in 1995-96 (except for the teenyboppers). Yes, he was over, but not "Superman over" like Sting or Hogan where they could get away with murder and still be cheered (unless they cut a very bitter and mean promo to turn heel, which Hogan did).

Also since I'm on Hogan, no, I don't consider the 1991-1994 years to be very good for him, because he hadn't changed up his gimmick sinced 1982, and thus grew old on fans.

I have to disagree with that. Shawn was VERY over in 95, not just with teeny girls. But once he turned face, they ruined his character and tried to turn him into another Hogan (liek they did wtih Diesel's wwf title run).

Hardys were over with a large majority of the crowd , even the guys, cuz of their insane moves as well as the girls appeal. But they overstayed their welcome and Jeff in aprticular fell apart, thus by the end oly the girl still cared.

Then again all of this is IMO, so take it with a grain of salt.