TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Sports Misconceptions

Stolen from general wrestling.

Many people think Donnie Moore's HR to Dave Henderson was the game winning HR in the 86 ALCS. When in fact the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the ninth. The Sox ended up winning in 11.

Stolen from general wrestling.

Many people think Donnie Moore's HR to Dave Henderson was the game winning HR in the 86 ALCS. When in fact the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the ninth. The Sox ended up winning in 11.

Also worth noting it was only game five, and there were two games left.

A lot of people think it was Jim Kelly that led the Bills through the 93 playoffs (including the big comeback win over the Oilers), but was Frank Reich, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, people think Bill Buckner's infamous botched fielding was in Game 7, but it was Game 6.

The 1980 US hockey team beat Russia in the Semis, not the finals of the medal round.

When did Michael Jordon kick Craig Ehlo in the head? Now I know it was in the playoffs but not sure which round or what game.

A lot of people think that Carlton Fisk waving his home run fair in the '75 World Series means something.

One of the most overrated "great moments" in sports history.

I'm not sure about this (I was seven at the time it happened) but I thought Wayne Greztky's high stick was caused in game six to force a game seven, not the series.

Guest Vitamin X

That 4th and 26 was what ended the Packers' season, when in fact it was their lack of aggressive play-calling to finish regulation, and their dumb play in OT that lost them the game.

The Shot by Jordan on Ehlo was only a 1st Round clincher in 1989, not the Eastern Conference Finals in 1992. Plus, Larry Nance was supposed to help Ehlo on Jordan but he must have been the smartest one in the building as he wanted no part of that highlight.

Another one is The Fumble (Browns/Broncos '87 AFC Championship). The Browns actually got the ball back after Denver conceeded a safety but could not convert on a hail mary at the end.

What do you expect? It's Cleveland.

Plus, Larry Nance was supposed to help Ehlo on Jordan but he must have been the smartest one in the building as he wanted no part of that highlight.

Or he was out getting some smack.

Here's one. That year Duke beat UNLV in the Final Four which wasn't the championship game...

For as much as I love Cleveland, I can't argue w/ ya there. Shitty teams, shitty weather, & a shitty economy don't make for a fun combination. Fuck Boston/Chicago/any other city that thinks or thought they were cursed . . . CLEVELAND IS CURSED!!!

Scott Norwood was paid $3,000 and given a lifetime supply of Bugles Corn Snacks by the General Mills Corporation for missing the potential game winning field goal in the super bowl against the Giants. The CEO of General Mills denies these allegations.

John Paxson is actually a robot who was made by his brother Jim Paxson as a way he could collect 2 NBA paychecks.

Shawn Dunston actually moonlighted as a Rugby player in Australia. He was said to be the Michael Jordan of Rugby.

Antoine Walker was caught in a love affair with the son of Danny Ainge. Ainge traded Walker in an attempt to break up the lovers. It was not meant to be.

Tom Osbourne was a Hologram.

CM Funk told me all this stuff so it has to be true.

Randy Moss will never win anything.

Fixed.

The Oilers won their last Stanley Cup in 1989-1990 season, not 1990-91 season.

I don't know how the fuck people get confused over that one.

Guest Vitamin X

For as much as I love Cleveland, I can't argue w/ ya there. Shitty teams, shitty weather, & a shitty economy don't make for a fun combination. Fuck Boston/Chicago/any other city that thinks or thought they were cursed . . . CLEVELAND IS CURSED!!!

Man, ESPECIALLY Boston, what with all their major sports teams in the playoffs (thankfully for them hockey wasn't in season so they could witness a disappointing Bruins season..), winning championships in two of them.

It's almost like being an L.A. sports fan in the 80's, what with the Lakers, Raiders, and the Olympics in town.

Now Chicago on the other hand, can certainly make a case for it, but Midwesterners aren't nearly as bitchy as New Englanders.

Now Chicago on the other hand, can certainly make a case for it, but Midwesterners aren't nearly as bitchy as New Englanders.

Boston wasn't cursed. The Red Sox were cursed. That is, if you buy into that bullshit.

But the city itself- nowhere near cursed. The Celtics won 16 rings, obviously what the Pats have done, and the Sox. BTW- Bruins made the playoffs last year, too. Not really a disappointing season, if you ask me.

I'm not bitching, that's for damn sure. I don't hear many people bitching anymore, actually- so it's kind of a moot point to make.

Anyway- misconception. The Red Sox have won 1 World Series to the Yankees 26. They've actually won 6. And it seems to me that a lot of people didn't know what the "1918" chant was actually referring to.

Steve Nash was born in South Africa, a fact that the Canadian sports media tends to gloss over whenever they talk about him, making it seem as if he's BC born-and-bred.

Jaromir Jagr wasn't a great player simply because he played with Mario Lemieux. He won all his scoring titles in years where Mario didn't play either all or most of the season.

Guest Mosaicv2

You forgot Philly... the city that win championship once every 60 or 70 years.

Guest Salacious Crumb

A lot of people seem to think that Jerry Rice was on every one of the 49ers Super Bowl teams.

Guest Mosaicv2

Man, ESPECIALLY Boston, what with all their major sports teams in the playoffs (thankfully for them hockey wasn't in season so they could witness a disappointing Bruins season..), winning championships in two of them.

It's almost like being an L.A. sports fan in the 80's, what with the Lakers, Raiders, and the Olympics in town.

Why do people say the fans of Boston and New England bitch all the time... they DON'T... they DEBATE... their's a differnce. Now Philly, now that's the city that whines and bitches all time... sok?@!

You forgot Philly... the city that win championship once every 60 or 70 years.

Not since 1983, and the current drought is the longest at 22 years (longest out of all cities with 4 pro sports teams...)

A lot of people seem to think that Jerry Rice was on every one of the 49ers Super Bowl teams.

It's forgotten by many people that the 1984 49ers went 15-1.

BTW- Bruins made the playoffs last year, too. Not really a disappointing season, if you ask me.

Finishing with 100+ points, and then blowing a 3-1 series lead to hated, long-time rivals (and losing the final 2 at home) was pretty fucking disapointing.

Guest Vitamin X

I felt the last Stanley Cup playoffs we had were pretty much an abomination as a whole, though. Calgary deserved a title. Or another one for the Avs. Or Kings.

Guest Mosaicv2

Bucky Dent's homer in the '78 playoff game; many people felt that was the game winner, but I actually thought the Reggie Jackson homer off Bob Stanley help seal the deal for the Yanks. Why, because the game could have been tied at 4... but it was 5-4.

Bucky Dent's homer in the '78 playoff game; many people felt that was the game winner, but I actually thought the Reggie Jackson homer off Bob Stanley help seal the deal for the Yanks. Why, because the game could have been tied at 4... but it was 5-4.

I agree. I saw the game on espn classic last year and that hit me, though I had read about it before. Reggie doesnt get any credit for that does he?

Buckener gets too much hate, I mean it was a wild pitch that tied the game actually.

Is that his fault too?