TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaYourCar

Harry Potter Movies

I personally thought book 5 had too much integral plot points and they wouldn't be able to cut it down, but they did it somehow. And that was the longest one.

Still, the more movie the better as far as I'm concerned.

Technically, if they went the flashback route and flashed back to some of the stuff that didn't make the cut in previous movies, they probably could. Although I don't think I would pay three times to see the same movie. I think two would be a fresh idea though. They would make a fucking killing at the box office, even moreso.

I finally saw Order of The Phoenix last night and I was really underwhelmed by it. It seemed such a let down after the awesome 3rd and 4th films. It's almost as if nothing happened in the film.

Granted I've never read the book, and my old man assures me they missed out a bunch of stuff, including explaining about the actual Order of The Pheonix.

I finally saw Order of The Phoenix last night and I was really underwhelmed by it. It seemed such a let down after the awesome 3rd and 4th films. It's almost as if nothing happened in the film.

Granted I've never read the book, and my old man assures me they missed out a bunch of stuff, including explaining about the actual Order of The Pheonix.

Yeah, it feels like they didn't get across the whole point of the OotP. They mentioned it of course, but in the book it was A LOT more specific about how a war is really going to start.

I agree, but I had the same problem with the book. Nothing much happens in Order of the Phoenix. It is basically just an exercise to get the Ministry to acknowledge Voldemort's existence, and even then the Ministry is pretty much useless anyways. Aside from

Black's death

we end up pretty much in the same spot at the end of the book that we were at the end of Goblet of Fire. The next two books are much better.

I must have read the ending in the Ministry and recovering the Prophecy 7-8 times when the book came out because I really was able to draw myself into that scene. I was underwhelmed with how it turned up on screen.

I always thought the book was more about the characters than the stories. Harry's growth into a man, Ron's triumphs on the Quidditch pitch, Harry/Sirius' relationship etc.

I've always described that book as "all politics" which is not really a knock on it. It's probably my second favorite of the books. My rank is basically:

And, as far as sheer, unbridled hated, Umbridge is one of the better villains to come along in quite some time.

I think GoF is the worst one. NOT because it is poorly written or anything; the plot is stupid. Voldy has "Moody" make sure Harry gets into the Tourney and makes sure he wins it. Just so he can touch a port key.

WHY DIDN'T "MOODY" JUST HAVE HIM TOUCH SOME FUCKIN RANDOM CUP AND BRING HIM THERE? I know he wanted him to make it look like it was an accident or some shit, but still. The plot is just wayyyy to far fetched. I enjoyed the book and all, that just realllllly bothers me.

Mine is:

5 and 6 flip all the time. And the only reason I have 2 above 4 is I love how JK introduced Horcruxes soo early in the series. It's one of the few movies/books/TV shows where I enjoy every single part. For example, I don't like Buffy Season 1. It's horrible. But GoF isn't horrible (it just has a silly plot), I just like it a lot less than the others.

Ha ha. It is pretty silly. But y'know, there's usually a few absurdities here and there. I just enjoy the structure of the tournament. I like the Quidditch World Cup. I like Krum, and Fleur. Hermione is finally acknowledged as attractive. There's a lot of book 4 I like.

I've read some explanations as to the portkey thing before. I can't really remember if any of them made sense. Likely a lot of it was Voldemort suffering from Bond villain syndrome, ie, the need to be excessively theatrical (and he does display that trait often). There's tons of it on the HP Lexicon site.

Actually, come to think of it, if the plan had succeeded, and Voldemort had returned via the portkey to Hogwarts, with Harry's corpse, and appeared before the assemblage of three schools, slaughtering them all and probably Dumbledore sheerly by taking him off guard... bearing in mind that everyone thinks you've been dead for 13 years... that is quite the masterstroke.

The plan was to have him be "re-born," then kill Harry. If Harry didn't make it back, then no one would have known that Voldy was back.

I think JK just had this cool idea in her head and wanted to write about it. It is cool, just silly.

Well, I mean the plan to be reborn and kill Harry.

If he had followed that up with what I described in the last paragraph there, I would have liked it. Oh well.

Yeah, Tom Riddle employs a Supervillain nonsensical plot of doom. There were easier ways to get him to the graveyard. Only fanwank I can think of, he wanted to toy with Harry.

It does work on one level though.

Harry is in a tournament, while dangerous, is still just a competition. Harry as a person is outgrowing this kind of thing, he needs to go on the path to putting an end to Riddle. So, no time for games, I got a war to fight. Heck, even Ron and Harry play chess in the first book, eventually, they find themselves facing a more dangerous version in the climax of the book. Then there's the Quidditch games, and multiple times Harry is put into life threatening situations when all he wants to do is play a sport, but he has the weight of the wizarding world on his shoulders.

Games becoming war, outgrowing games, having to confront evil.

Well, it's official- Deathly Hollows will be two movies: From Yahoo:

Last 'Harry Potter' Book Becomes 2 Films

Thursday March 13 5:50 AM ET

Harry Potter was the center of seven novels, but he'll star in eight films. The final book in the wildly successful series will be made into two films, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

Producers are expected to announce Thursday that J.K. Rowling's last "Potter" installment, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," will be split into two parts on the big screen. The first film is slated for release in November 2010, with part two following in May 2011.

"It was born out of purely creative reasons," producer David Heyman told the Times. "Unlike every other book, you cannot remove elements of this book."

ADVERTISEMENT

The two final "Potter" films will be shot concurrently, much like the blockbuster trilogy based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy novel "The Lord of the Rings"

Another famous Tolkien tome, "The Hobbit" is also being split into two live-action movies set for back-to-back shooting to begin next year.

Filming on the sixth "Potter" flick, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," began in September.

"It's been brilliant," said star Daniel Radcliffe. "It's also, I think, the funniest of the films so far."

The "Potter" film franchise has pulled in $4.5 billion at the worldwide box office.

Well, it's gonna suck because of the wait, but I have high hopes. Despite all of the camping, there was a lot to put in- the wedding, Godric's Hollow, Malfoy Manner- not to mention the final battle.

But with Yates? I didn't like what he did with Order, but maybe since he has two movies, he will be able to do a better job at telling the WHOLEE story.

But with Yates? I didn't like what he did with Order, but maybe since he has two movies, he will be able to do a better job at telling the whole story.

I don't agree with this decision, and I also don't think the two movies will do as well they hope.

But it's two more Potter films, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Has Yates been confirmed for the final movie? I loved a lot of the things he did with Order, looking forward to seeing how the sixth one looks.

Yeah, it's been confirmed.

One thing that's been bugging me about Order- in the movie, Umbridge blasts open the entrance to the Room of Requirement. So now Yates has to explain why the Carrows DON'T do that when NEville is hidding out in Hallows.

I just re-read Deathly Hallows and there are so many parts in that book that are going to be hard to mess up on film. Those are going to be the two best films in the series, I think.

The saddest part is all the hand-wringing about how this is some kind of dark omen about how Things Are Getting Worse. What? Getting stabbed in a bar fight is something new now? Just narrowing it down to actors being stabbed to death in a London pub, didn't Christopher Marlowe die that way over four hundred years ago?