TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

This week in Baseball

Hes in a no win situation if they ask him to go down. If he says no, everyone will know all he cares about is money.

It's not like that. If Giambi goes to AAA, the Yankees save money they would had paid to Major League Baseball, via the luxury tax. Giambi is paid the same either way.

Guest StylesMark
Hes in a no win situation if they ask him to go down. If he says no, everyone will know all he cares about is money.

It's not like that. If Giambi goes to AAA, the Yankees save money they would had paid to Major League Baseball, via the luxury tax. Giambi is paid the same either way.

I think he means it in the way that, it will show Giambi will NOT go down to AAA and improve, and that he'd rather sit on the bench, serve no use and collect the same $.

I don't know, who are the other 'rivals' in the East divisions?  I know the Mets/Yankees, obviously, but are the Os and Phillies each other's rivals each year?  I'd rather the Jays play Florida, because of Delgado.

The Marlins have to play TB in the battle for "least supported team in the state of Florida."

Far and away won by the D-Rays.

D-Rays only get talked up on the Tampa radio stations (duh). I'm a two hour drive from the Tropicana Eye-sore and the D-Rays are only mentioned in passing on the "Sunshine State Sportscenter Update" at :03 of every hour. The Marlins get entire segments on them by the morning guy and afternoon guy.

I think he means it in the way that, it will show Giambi will NOT go down to AAA and improve, and that he'd rather sit on the bench, serve no use and collect the same $.

I don't think that's entirely fair. There's a world of difference between AAA and the Majors and besides, it is obvious that this move is little more than a cost cutting measure for the Yankees. Right now Giambi is 7th on the Yankees in OPS, ahead of Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui, John Flaherty, Tony Womack, Robinson Cano, Bernie Williams, Andy Phillips, and Bubba Crosby, all of whom do not seem to need to go to Columbus to work on their hitting. Giambi is also second on the club in OBP, behind only Derek Jeter and Rey Sanchez (16 at bats).

Amusing article from the Philly Daily News as Tomas "Career .303/.358/.661" Perez is now complaining about playing time.

MILWAUKEE - Jimmy Rollins finally got his day off.

Tomas Perez, to his surprise, rode the bench, too.

Perez spent the first 32 games of the season swallowing the presence of Placido Polanco as a bitter pill that comes with the business of baseball. Polanco has taken many of Perez' at-bats and starts at second and third base after surprising the Phillies and accepting arbitration over free agency.

But when Polanco started at shortstop Monday instead of Perez, who considered himself, at least, Rollins' only real backup, Perez took action.

Perez spoke with manager Charlie Manuel before last night's game. He wasn't angry, and he wasn't confrontational - but he wasn't the cheery, shaving-cream pie guy, either.

"He just wanted to know where he stood," Manuel said. "Polly played shortstop [Monday] night. Tomas was kind of concerned about that."

Manuel said he decided to play Polanco instead of Perez, a .321 hitter at the time and 6-for-16 in May, because Polanco had been making good contact (even though he was 3-for-20 in May, then went 0-for-4 Monday).

"What can I do? I don't make up the lineup," Perez said.

Manuel's reluctance to play Perez runs much deeper and is rooted as much in Perez' versatility as in Manuel's bench situation. Perez can play every position on the field except perhaps centerfield and has, as a backup; Polanco has mainly been a starter for the past five seasons. Perez is a switch-hitter, so he can be used to pinch-hit against any matchup; Polanco is a righthanded hitter. And, entering last night, Polanco was a career .293 hitter; Perez, a .247 hitter.

Still, when Perez agreed in October to return to the Phillies' bench for a sixth and seventh season he figured it would be him, not Polanco, platooning with Chase Utley against tough lefty pitchers, at least early in the season. He figured it would be him, not Polanco, getting playing time at third base if David Bell needed a day or two off.

And then, Polanco returned.

Perez entered last night with just 28 at-bats and he got 16 of those in place of first baseman Jim Thome, who landed on the disabled list May 1 with a back strain. So, if Thome is healthy, Perez is muddling along at, say, a dozen at-bats.

Perez doesn't regret his decision to return to the Phillies, and he doesn't hold it against Polanco.

"I know it isn't his decision who's going to play," Perez said. "He's got a job to do. I've got a job to do. And I've got a tough job."

"We talk about it all the time. Every day," said Polanco, who has stumped for a trade since the beginning of spring training. "It isn't fair for him. When I said, 'This situation isn't going to work,' I didn't mean it just wouldn't work for me."

As a $4.6 million backup vs. Perez' $700,000 salary, there is little room for sentiment from the Phillies or Polanco.

"He understands that I have to play," Polanco said. "But he doesn't understand why he doesn't play more."

Which is why Perez met with Manuel, who has worked with a short bench since Thome and Kenny Lofton didn't immediately go on the DL, and since Pat Burrell missed a series with a groin strain. Having a two-man bench or a three-man bench instead of a five-man bench, "That does cut into Tomas' at-bats," Manuel acknowledged. "Listen, I'll tell you what: We want to keep Tomas happy. He's a big part of our team."

He's not a big enough part for his liking.

Who the hell does Tomas Perez think he is? He can't hit worth shit and if he didn't hit people in the face with pies he would already be released. I bolded the scary part as I am worried they steal some ABs from Utley against LHs by playing Perez at 1B, while Thome is out to appease the important offensive juggernaut that is Tomassssssss Perezzzzzzzz.

Don't listen to what Manuel says in this situation. He needs to keep Perez comfortable and appease the media. I would worry that Ryan Howard is going to sit on the bench if he does not start hitting soon. I just wish the Phillies would realize Todd Pratt is their best 1B option against lefties.

Reading the article again I also enjoyed this quote from Peanuthead

-"He understands that I HAVE to play," Polanco said. "But he doesn't understand why he doesn't play more."

Nice to know that apparently a line of .316/.253 (honestly, how the hell do you slug .253?!?)/.569 is enough to make Polanco think he absolutely has to be in the lineup.

Send that message Cholly, complain about the lineup and we'll be sure to get you in the next game.

from today's order:

2. P Polanco 2B

7. T Perez, 1B

8. T Pratt, C

9. C Lidle, P

They are facing a lefty again, but that was addressed last week as to why Perez is still shit compared to Utley against LHP.

Send that message Cholly, complain about the lineup and we'll be sure to get you in the next game.

from today's order:

2. P Polanco 2B

7. T Perez, 1B

8. T Pratt, C

9. C Lidle, P

They are facing a lefty again, but that was addressed last week as to why Perez is still shit compared to Utley against LHP.

With a lefty pitching for the Brewers and a groundball pitcher on the mound for the Phillies, Polanco should be starting anyway. And of course, he rewards the decision with a solo HR. Pratt starts at catcher because Lieberthal caught last night at eight, just thirteen hours ago. It is customary to use your backup catcher in a day game following a night game.

That leaves Utley, Perez, Offerman, and Ryan Howard. And Perez has the best statistics against lefties of that group. Of course, we could always get creative and play Jason Michaels at first, but I guess that kind of outside the box thinking is why I'm not a manager.

I don't have a problem with Polanco at 2B as long as 1B is open for him to slide into. And Pratt was just mentioned because I copied the whole chunk of order.

Perez has some more pop in his bat against lefties, Utley has the edge in OBP against lefties over the last three years however. But I do not see the point of getting Perez in the lineup when Utley has been right with Abreu as the best hitters over the last month. Also, if Utley is going to be the 2B of the future you have to start letting him see some lefties otherwise his numbers will never improve.

Also, I am really not a fan of getting the guy in the lineup the day after he complains. After all the bitching Polanco did to get in the lineup at the beginning of the season, they are really starting to get a just complain about your time and you'll get in a game attitude.

Yankees are killing Moyer, 6-5 Yankees.

Pavanos really weird today. 4 Ks through 2 innings, but 5 runs. Why are you always right Al? Can't for once, your stats about periperals(sp) and hits allowed, and how Pavanos year was in luck to his great D, be you know, wrong?

:)

Honestly, there is not that much bitching from Perez. Yes, he is dissatisfied about the lack of playing time, but what player is not? It is not like he pulled a Derek Bell and announced "Operation Shutdown." And I think a manager needs to make decisions regardless of what shows up in the papers. Without that article, Perez still starts today.

And while we're talking Phillies, I love the latest promotional technique. Announce all three games against the Red Sox are "sold out," and then continue to offer tickets in a package that requires you to buy tickets to six other games.

Yankees are killing Moyer, 6-5 Yankees.

Pavanos really weird today. 4 Ks through 2 innings, but 5 runs. Why are you always right Al? Can't for once, your stats about periperals(sp) and hits allowed, and how Pavanos year was in luck to his great D, be you know, wrong?

:)

They're wrong all the time. The Yankees pitching sucked last year despite great peripherals. :)

I'm still pretty pleased with the Yankees pitching right now. RJ has been terrfic lately, Moose has been great lately, Beside today, Pavano has looked decent, Brown has sucked, and Wang has been terrific. I honestly expect Brown to continue to right his ship for some reason, maybe for the fact he still has great stuff.

Yeah, I just got that email from them about that promotion. I might consider it. I found 17 games was to much last year from where I live, but I might do 7 games.

If Schilling pitches does he get booed for not being a Phil or cheered because he was begging to be a Phil a couple offseasons ago?

Yeah, I just got that email from them about that promotion. I might consider it. I found 17 games was to much last year from where I live, but I might do 7 games.

If Schilling pitches does he get booed for not being a Phil or cheered because he was begging to be a Phil a couple offseasons ago?

Booed, cause that's what we do.

Cheered. The Philly fans always loved Schilling.

This is one hell of a frustrating Phillies team to watch. Single, taylor made double play ball gets booted, pop up, another taylor made dp ball is booted, k. No runs. More lost opportunities.

Of note to Sox fans, I'm going up to see Pawtucket play the Red Barons tonight. Abe Alvarez is the Red Sox's scheduled starter.

Pawtucket is my hometown :)

Look out for Catcher Kelly Shoppach, been hitting well and making himself useful trade bait come July.