Box Office Report

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Next week:

1. Star Wars: Episode III

2. Madagascar - $55 million

3. The Longest Yard - $25-29 million

4. Monster-In-Law

5. Crash

Star Wars will remain on top until Mr. And Mrs. Smith take it down.

If Mr. and Mrs. Smith does any business, it'll be because of the publicity surrounding Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's affair. I'll admit that the movie looks cool, but summer time (June-August) box office success requires an appeal to the teenage demographic. I could be wrong, but I don't see this movie appealing to that audience for some reason.

Which MIGHT be a draw, but I don't think the average 16 year old is going to want to fork over his hard borrowed-from-Dad money to see a couple of married people fight for 2 hours. Most kids get enough of that at home.

- Summer

- Big budget

- Explosions

- Lots of action

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Angelina Jolie

- Lots of action

- Angelina Jolie

I think that'll be enough to get the morons into the theatre.

Trust me, this movie will easily gross over $130 million.

There have been quite a few animated flops in the last few years.

What are you talking about? You know that Magadascar is a CGI film, right? There hasn't been one CGI movie that didn't do well. There have been PLENTY of animated films that didn't do well, but those were drawn by hand.

Every CGI movie and how well they did:

Robots - $125,614,860

The Polar Express - $162,753,127

The Incredibles - $261,437,578

Shark Tale - $161,412,000

Shrek 2 - $436,721,703

Finding Nemo - $339,714,367

Ice Age - $176,387,405

Monsters Inc - $255,870,172

Shrek - $267,652,016

Dinosaur - $137,748,063

Toy Story 2 - $245,823,397

A Bug's Life - $162,798,565

Antz - $90,757,863

Spanglish, also a supposedly "serious" film that was really a comedy, didn't do well either.

That is because the studio marketed it as a drama and fans don't seem to buy him as a serious actor. So you can't count that as a comedy that didn't do well.

Out of all of the comedies that he stared in since the Wedding Singer, when he became a draw, only 1 out of 7 didn't do well. I don't think 8 Crazy Nights counts because it was a cartoon. It isn't the same thing.

Basically, when Sandler does comedies, they do well. He is draw when it comes to that.

You'll never convice me that either Jolie or Pitt are box office draws. I'm not questioning their talent, just their ability to get people to pay money to see them.

Considering the publicity of their personal lives, there might even be a backlash against them that will HURT the film.

Nah, I don't think Mr. and Mrs. Smith will do 130 million type business. I have to pose the question: What was the last Brad Pitt movie that did that sort of business? Ocean's 12 did about 125 million domestic but that's not a Pitt vehicle exactly, all sorts of draws there. And aside from the first Tomb Raider (which was sold more to the video game market) what sort of hit has Jolie been in?

Basically the movie looks kinda like a cross between Prizzi's Honor and War of the Roses, neither of which exactly lit the world on fire from a money standpoint.

I have to think Longest Yard will debut ahead of Madagascar. Madagascar is a cartoon yes but it just doesn't look like much to me, I may be wrong. Also I haven't seen anywhere near the ads for it that Longest Yard has had. Sandler can still certainly draw when he does the pictures his fans like to see him in, and this looks more like that than stuff such as Spanglish and Punch Drunk Love. Unlike Jim Carrey, Sandler's fans just don't accept him in such roles, or maybe he's just not a good enough actor to pull it off.

Fuck it, I hope ROTS stays on top for a long while. We need an uber dominanat box office megahit.

I read that dispite Star Wars, the total Box Office was down 6% from this week last year. I know SW pretty much canibalized all the box office from all the other movies and kept some people away, but I would have thought it would have gone up instead of being down for the 13th straight week.

Shrek 2 came out last year this weekend and made $108 million.

Oh, and CGI movie that "bombed" for a CGI movie : Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius ($80 million total).

I read that dispite Star Wars, the total Box Office was down 6% from this week last year.

Ultimately, theater owners will blame everything but the real cause for their decline in business...

TICKET PRICES ARE TOO DAMN HIGH!

Spanglish bombed because it sucked a dick and was a terrible film.

And Robert Jerk- Little Nicky was 5 years ago so that doesn't help your point. Spanglish was marketed as a family drama, not a Sandler comedy so that doesn't help your point either.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith is going to be bomb, just like every other film with intense scruitny about people getting together seems to bomb.

- Summer

- Big budget

- Explosions

- Lots of action

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Angelina Jolie

- Lots of action

- Angelina Jolie

Constantly pointing out that the movie has Brad Pitt and Jolie doesn't help your point, it only hurts it in fact.

Jolie hasn't had a hit film in years (not counting Shark Tale) and Pitt doesn't draw well domestically. More overseas.

And 100 other summer films all have explosions and action- will they make 130 mil.

And Mole's list forgot Final Fantasy which was a huge flop.

Yeah FUCK PAYING AN EXTRA TWO DOLLARS

it's not just ticket prices though...I went to see Hitch with my wife (I don't go to the theater often) and it cost us (including a large popcorn and two medium drinks) almost 30 dollars...now imagine if we went to a kid movie with my daughter, there's at least another 10 bucks right there...anymore, why bother going, it's going to be out on DVD in 6 months anyway...

it's not just ticket prices though...I went to see Hitch with my wife (I don't go to the theater often) and it cost us (including a large popcorn and two medium drinks) almost 30 dollars...now imagine if we went to a kid movie with my daughter, there's at least another 10 bucks right there...anymore, why bother going, it's going to be out on DVD in 6 months anyway...

Jesus man what time did you go? Try hitting up the matinee showing, $5.50 for ROTS Friday afternoon. That's the only time that I will go to the theater myself.

Spanglish bombed because it sucked a dick and was a terrible film.

And Robert Jerk- Little Nicky was 5 years ago so that doesn't help your point. Spanglish was marketed as a family drama, not a Sandler comedy so that doesn't help your point either.

For some reason also I thought "Mr. Deeds" and "50 First Dates" had bombed, but when I checked the returns I saw that I was wrong. Yeah, now that I've done the research I see that my point was wrong.

I'll put it another way...

Why should I pay $16+ for my wife and myself to see a movie in a crowded room full of strangers and have half of them talk through it while listening to babies cry?

I've become quite fond of drive-ins and dollar shows in the last few years. Even if the movie sucks, you don't feel as ripped-off because at least it was cheap.

FF7 fans were the only people who paid to see the movie. As the casual anime fans don't and will not watch a movie with japanese hippie themes about robots being alive/plants & animals have feelings too/religion. Also just because a RPG can put an hour of cut scenes in a game does not mean they can spin it off into a real movie.

The big money makers in animated features are Pixar or Dreamworks. Not everybody wants to see a Disney musical anymore and features based on tv cartoons has somewhat a limited audience....but Nicktoons rulz.

Guest El Satanico

Mr. and Mrs. Smith will do well. It looks like a good entertaining movie, and it's the first action film released after Episode III, so people will be hungry for some action.

The Affleck/Lopez thing was an exception, not a rule. Can't assume that a couple or rumored couple in the "news" will create backlash.

Guest Vitamin X

I'll put it another way...

Why should I pay $16+ for my wife and myself to see a movie in a crowded room full of strangers and have half of them talk through it while listening to babies cry?

I've become quite fond of drive-ins and dollar shows in the last few years. Even if the movie sucks, you don't feel as ripped-off because at least it was cheap.

It's pretty simple, just don't go to the movies when it's too busy. Catch an early or late showing, preferably late to avoid the babies crying. Besides, you can usually make a complaint to a theatre if it's ruining your experience, and at least get a raincheck or something if it bothers you that much.

Well, that's your problem: You should never buy concessions at the movie theatres. Just sneak in some candy and/or cans of soda into the theatre and you'll be fine if you really want something to snack on while watching the movie.

I guess I just don't find it too big of a deal when I usually pay $7 with my student ID or $6 if I go to a matinee showing (which I'll only do on weekdays otherwise on the weekends the theatres get all crowded up with kids and annoying cheapos)

Well, that's your problem: You should never buy concessions at the movie theatres. Just sneak in some candy and/or cans of soda into the theatre and you'll be fine if you really want something to snack on while watching the movie.

Or, I dunno, go 2 hours without eating/drinking something? Is it really that hard to do?

Guest El Satanico

Or, I dunno, go 2 hours without eating/drinking something? Is it really that hard to do?

No, but some people like to snack and drink during movies. Unless you simply love popcorn, fountian drinks or those nasty nachos with fake cheese, you shouldn't buy food at theaters.

Most theaters don't even really care about food being snuck in. They frown on stupid shit like buckets of chicken and whole pizzas, but other than that and glass containers theaters are alot more leniet than they once were.

- Summer

- Big budget

- Explosions

- Lots of action

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Explosions

- Brad Pitt

- Angelina Jolie

- Lots of action

- Angelina Jolie

Constantly pointing out that the movie has Brad Pitt and Jolie doesn't help your point, it only hurts it in fact.

Jolie hasn't had a hit film in years (not counting Shark Tale) and Pitt doesn't draw well domestically. More overseas.

And 100 other summer films all have explosions and action- will they make 130 mil.

This coming from a guy who thought "Raise Your Voice" was a great piece of work.

Point? Don't need one. It's a given. You'll see...

Because pointing out that I liked a movie is a great way to discredit my point on how I think a movie will do.

Jolie isn't a draw, her last hit film was 4 years ago.

Pitt isn't much of a draw either, domestically at least.

The movie will do okay but I don't think it's going to be a big blockbuster hit.

Oh, and CGI movie that "bombed" for a CGI movie : Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius ($80 million total).

Umm, your definition of bombed and my definition of bombed are completly different. A bomb would be if the movie only made $20 million or less.

JNBG cost $25 million to make, so it gave Nick $55 million (not including DVD sales, but we aren't counting that). This movie wasn't a bomb at all. But nice try.

You started a box office report thread after only one day

I simply saw a report on another site, thinking it was the box office report, and I posted it.