TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Offseason Stuff

Greg Oden insists he is going to college regardless of the rule:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...oden/index.html

There is no doubting this: If Oden is in next year's NBA Draft, he will be the first player selected. Yet, Oden still says -- still insists -- he will play in college. He even has a short list of schools (Indiana, Wake Forest, Michigan State and Ohio State) he is considering and will visit in the fall. "When I go to college, I want to study accounting," he told me.

"When?" I replied. "There's no doubt?"

"I will go to college."

(go state)

I really wanted to see Oden play. I know ESPN 2 broadcasted a game or two of his. From what I've seen, he has a Shaq like body, as in when Shaq was in high school body, not the on again, off again tub of goo he has been known to become in the last several offseasons.

The one game I saw of his, when he was a sophomore, he played very passive and didn't really stand out in any way other than being the big guy in the middle. He rebounded and defended well but didn't do much of anything on offense. The defense was collapsed on him the whole time, and Oden just took it and allowed his teammates to take advantage, wasn't really demanding or getting the ball, so it was hard to gauge his skills. I didn't come away super impressed, but it was only one game.

ESPN's Insider Chad Ford's 3rd Mock Draft...

1) Milwaukee-Andrew Bogut : A mock draft is supposed to tell you who the Bucks are going to take … not who they should take. I still believe that Marvin Williams should be the No. 1 pick in the draft, but all the chatter I'm hearing out of Milwaukee is that the Bucks are leaning strongly in Bogut's direction. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad pick. Bogut has the chance to be special and he's a low-risk player. But I'm still not convinced it's the right decision.

2) Atlanta- Marvin Williams:There's talk that the Hawks want Deron Williams and are flirting with him at No. 2. He's a great point guard, but he's the wrong Williams at No. 2. If the Hawks really want Deron, they should swap with the Blazers or Hornets, both of whom would love to get their hands on Marvin. Otherwise you take Marvin and trade the other guys on the team that play the same position.

3) Portland- Chris Paul: The Blazers won't take Paul at No. 3. If, for some reason, they own this pick on draft night, Gerald Green would be the guy. So why is Paul the pick here? Because it's now almost a foregone conclusion that the Blazers are going to trade this pick. It could be to the Hawks, Bobcats, Jazz, Raptors or Lakers … but the chances of Portland selecting at No. 3 seem very slim at this point. Anyone else in this position will be deciding between Paul and Deron Williams.

4) New Orleans- Deron Williams: The Hornets have a greater need at small forward. They'd love to move up and get Marvin Williams and they're flirting with swapping with Utah and taking Danny Granger. If they stay here, Williams is the guy. They think he's a big upgrade over Speedy Claxton and Dan Dickau. It's hard to argue with that.

5) Charlotte- Danny Granger: The Bobcats are trying to move up in the draft to get their hands on Marvin Williams or Paul. If Paul, Marvin and Deron Williams are off the board, the team will choose between potential (Green) and immediate impact (Granger). Given Bernie Bickerstaff's track record last year, don't be surprised if it's Granger.

6) Utah- Channing Frye: Call this a hunch. The Jazz still are trying to move up to get a shot at Paul or Deron Williams. If they're unsuccessful, they'll try to address their other need for a big, athletic shot blocker. For months they were high on Vazquez, but have cooled considerably in the last week. That leaves Frye as the most logical choice. He hasn't worked out for the Jazz, but that doesn't mean they won't take him. He'd be a good fit in Utah.

7) Toronto- Gerald Green: This is a dream scenario for the Raptors. Green could go as high as No. 3 and he'll get long looks from both the Hornets and Bobcats. If he falls here, the Raptors would get a potential star to pair with Chris Bosh. He reminds many scouts of Tracy McGrady and for good reason. He's a few years away from being that player, but the potential is well worth it. If he's gone, Raymond Felton, Fran Vazquez, Frye and Granger would all get serious consideration

8) New York- Fran Vasquez: Sources claim that the Knicks made a promise to Frye and shut down his workouts. It may have been too little, too late. Other teams are on to Frye and the chances he makes it to the Knicks have now diminished. If he's not there, the Knicks will still look to go big. Vazquez is the other big guy who could come in and play right away.

9) Golden State- Ike Diogu: The Warriors want Frye or Granger, but if those two are off the board, they'll look for the next-best power forward. Sean May, Hakim Warrick and Chris Taft will all get looks here as well. Diogu gets the nod because of his length (he has the reach of a 7-footer, a la Elton Brand) and shot-blocking ability.

10) LA Lakers- Martell Webster: There is talk, a lot of talk, that the Lakers have promised high school center Andrew Bynum that they'll take him if they keep their pick. Bynum sure looks like Shaq, and he's worked out well, but it's just a little too much to believe right now. It would be years before Phil Jackson would give him a whiff of playing time. Until we get to the bottom of the Bynum stuff, we're moving Felton out and Webster in. With Jackson running the show, the Lakers are going to need a big shooter. Webster is the best on the board. Think of him as a young Glen Rice.

11) Orlando- Sean May: The Magic like Webster as well, but also feel like they need a tough scorer and rebounder in the paint, and May should be a perfect fit. Though he's a little undersized to play his natural position (center) in the pros, he should be fine paired with Dwight Howard.

12) LA Clippers- Yaroslav Korolev: We're torn. We've heard two names associated with the Clippers all month. One is Korolev, who Russian sources claim received a promise from the Clippers. The other is Antoine Wright, whom Dunleavy fell in love with early in the draft process. Whom to choose? Our Clippers source told us in Treviso that there were certain players they'd take in front of Korolev. Is Wright one of them? We're still sorting it out, but until we hear otherwise, we've got to go with Korolev here. Given the latest revelations about the new NBDL minor league, Dunleavy can bring him over and get him some valuable experience in the D league.

13) Charlotte- Raymond Felton: This is a real steal for the Bobcats if they can land Felton here. The Bobcats need a point guard badly and he's a local kid to boot. He's the fastest point guard in the draft baseline to baseline, has improved his outside shooting and is an excellent floor leader. A major upgrade over what they have now.

14) Minnesota- Antoine Wright: There are lots of different ways the Timberwolves could go here. Bynum, Joey Graham and Charlie Villanueva could also get looks. It will be tough for them to pass on Wright's versatility and perimeter shooting – especially with Latrell Sprewell heading into free agency.

15) New Jersey- Hakim Warrick: He's not Kenyon Martin, but he's long, athletic and runs the floor. Plus, he has the experience to contribute immediately. With Jason Kidd running the show, Warrick should get a lot of dunks.

16) Toronto- Andrew Bynum: The talk is that he's going to either the Lakers or the Timberwolves. But if he falls this far, Raptors GM Rob Babcock will be tempted. The Raptors desperately need a big man with size and toughness. Bynum has that. He's blown people away in workouts with his skills, soft touch and intelligence. He may be a few years away, but landing two potential stars in Green and Bynum to team with Chris Bosh could completely turn the Raptors around in a couple of years. If Bynum's off the board, Croatian point guard Roko Ukic has turned a lot of heads in Toronto.

17) Indiana- Martynas Andriuskevicius: The Pacers do need to find a replacement for Reggie Miller's shooting, but will likely try to do that with a veteran in free agency. Guys such as Francisco Garcia and Rashad McCants are possibilities, but neither would likely be able to crack the lineup next year. Andriuskevicius could go much earlier than this, based on potential, but it's been tough to find a place for a guy who physically is still a good two years away from being able to contribute. He needs a team willing to be patient. No one has a better track record of that over the years than the Pacers. Now that teams will be able to send players down to the D League, the risk is minimized. This is a long-term project for a team that doesn't have a lot of holes to fill.

18) Boston- Joey Graham: The Celtics were flirting with taking an international player (such as Ersan Ilyasova or Andriuskevicius) and stashing him overseas, but it's tough to see them passing on Graham, a big, physical small forward who tested out as the best athlete in Chicago. He could step in and immediately help the Celtics next season .

19) Memphis- Julius Hodge: Hodge might not be the greatest shooter in the draft, but he has all the intangibles Jerry West loves in his players. He's tough and versatile, and he seems to want it more than most guys on the floor. The Grizzlies believe he'll be a point guard, at least part-time, in the pros. It looks as though they'll lose Earl Watson to free agency and wouldn't mind losing Jason Williams in a trade, so the position is a need. Hodge has earned good reviews in every workout and seems to have moved himself up with every one. West has a history of ignoring convention, which explains why a player like Hodge would go this high

20) Denver- Ersan Ilyasova: With multiple picks, the Nuggets plan to leave at least one guy in Europe for a few years. Many believe Ilyasova was the best young prospect in Europe before a severe ankle injury kept him out most of the year. His workouts went well enough in Chicago to secure his place in the mid-first round.

21) Phoenix- Johan Petro: Petro has the size and talent of a lottery pick, but he has been very slow to develop it, which has caused some NBA teams to worry. Petro is probably another year or two away from helping a team even if he does develop. However, if he ever gets it, he could be the perfect center in the Suns' system down the road.

22) Denver- Francisco Garcia: The Nuggets opt for upside with their first pick and go with need for their second. The team needs perimeter shooting badly, and Garcia can deliver. He's not the greatest athlete in the world, but he can stroke it and plays with the passion George Karl likes in his players. High school guard Monta Ellis is also a possibility here. The Nuggets love him, but would Karl ever play him?

23) Sacramento- Rashad McCants: McCants might be the toughest guy in the draft to project. On talent, he's easily a top-10 pick, maybe top-five. But just about every team in the league has uncovered a number of red flags on the background check. He's going to have to prove to teams that whatever problems he had at North Carolina are behind him. If he does, he'll go higher. If he doesn't, he'll slip down to a team like the Kings, who need that help at the two and are willing to take the risk on such a talent.

24) Houston- Wayne Simien: The Rockets could use a tough rebounder with experience, and Simien fits the bill. Concerns about injuries and size are the only things keeping him out of the lottery. He's one of the few guys who isn't afraid to go inside and bang, but also has a nice perimeter game. He has worked out really well just about everywhere

25) Seattle- Jarrett Jack: Jack could be off the board in the mid-first round, but it's conceivable he could slip all the way to here. He's a very good point guard prospect who just needs to cut down on his turnovers. With Antonio Daniels set to bolt in free agency, the Sonics will have a strong need for a backup point guard with size and toughness

26) Detroit- Ryan Gomes: Gomes is a skilled forward, an inside-outside scoring threat who reminds some scouts of Corliss Williamson. He started his career at the four, but played really well at the three this year. He's a good offensive rebounder, has extended his range to the NBA 3-point line and is a good passer. He also has a 7-foot-2 wingspan.

27) Utah- Roko Ukic: He has had a great year in Croatia and wowed scouts at the Reebok Eurocamp. Could go as high as No. 16 to the Raptors and will get long looks from the Celtics and Nuggets. A little wild for Jerry Sloan's taste, but he's long, plays defense, and is very tough and experienced. If he could shoot, he'd be a much higher pick. Look for the Jazz to leave him overseas for another season or two.

28) San Antonio- Charlie Villaneuva: Villanueva has the skills of a lottery pick but proved to be a bit lazy and unreliable at UConn. He could go as high as the late lottery or he could slip all the way to San Antonio. He has all the offensive skills to be a perfect fit for the Spurs. And head coach Gregg Popovich is the right coach to motivate Villanueva to play some defense.

29) Miami- Mile Ilic: Ilic surprised a lot of people by keeping his name in the draft. He's a young, talented, big man who has really come on of late. Recently had an impressive 24-point, 10-rebound, two-block performance in front of a number of NBA scouts during the Serbia playoffs. Apparently that sealed the deal. Ilic doesn't have a buyout this year, so he may not come over right away. The Nuggets and Knicks are other teams who have shown a lot of interest in him.

30) New York- Andray Blatche: Blatche has been under the radar all year, in part, because he's insisted on not playing like a 7-footer in order to show NBA scouts that he's versatile. Blatche has been referred to as a poor man's Kevin Garnett and he has enough skills to be an intriguing pick for the Knicks at 30. He runs the floor well, can handle the ball, has 3-point range on his jumper and is an excellent rebounder. He may be a year or two away, but eventually he and Vazquez could give the Knicks a much taller and more talented front line.

Feed off of that.

BTW, if any of you are wondering what any of these guys is all about, put in a request here and I'll post the scouting report of the player(s) that you want to know more about.

Terry Porter fired by the Bucks. Word is Flip Saunders will be their new coach.

I believe it was part of the trade that sent Marbury to New York from Phoenix.

It was the Nazr Mohammed for Malik Rose trade. They recieved a 1st round pick this year (Phoenix's) and one next year (San Antonio's).

According to RealGM, Quentin Richardson has been traded to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future conditional number one draft pick. Pending league approval, it should be announced following tommorrow's game.

Link~

Very good trade for the Suns, IMO.

According to RealGM, Quentin Richardson has been traded to the Knicks in exchange for Kurt Thomas and a future conditional number one draft pick.  Pending league approval, it should be announced following tommorrow's game.

Link~

Very good trade for the Suns, IMO.

If this is for real....

I'm not thrilled about this deal, I'll miss Kurt, and Q just signed a big contract too, but given that Isiah was hellbound on moving KT this is probably the best we could get for him talent wise. A 3 guard lineup of Marbury, Crawford and Richardson is going to put up a TON of points, and give up just as many. Ariza should still get his minutes at the 3 because both Crawford and Richardson can slide over from their starting positions, so we've got some flexibility there. Houston is the wildcard, but I have a feeling he's going to come back and look like Knicks/Rockets era Glenn Rice, which won't be enough to beat out any of those guys. Sweetney should be able to get 30 minutes a game now, which is definitely a good thing, he had the second best efficiency rating on the team behind Marbury, and I guess this means we're locked on Frye as we now have nobody taller than 6-9 on the roster unless you count Bruno Sundov, which I don't.

Great move for the Suns. The playoffs proved they had too much offense and not enough defense, and this improves them not just because KT is one of the best defenders in the league, but because now Shawn Marion can go back to the three, where he's a lockdown defender, instead of getting abused in the post by guys like Dirk and Duncan.

Roy, we're in for a long season...the Knicks most likely will take big men in the draft and start them right away and we know how bad that's gonna go...is there a reason why Isiah is hesistant on bringing big men over, maybe he's banking on the draft alone, I dunno?

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Now I see the Knicks picking up the sissy... err, I mean Channing Frye at number 8, and then hoping that somebody like Taft or even Villaneuva (Which I doubt) falls to them at 30.

BTW, is Andrew Bynum still in the draft?

Well, I love that fucking trade. A guy like Thomas that can bring some toughness up front, hit the midrange jumper, crash the boards....goood.

And with the trade of richardson, I guess that shows they are going to throw some cash in the direction of Joe Johnson, so I am happy. Its amazing. A guy who I absolutly hated on my teamfor years is pretty much the key to their success now.

Good first offseason move for the suns.

I like the trade for both teams. It covers each teams needs.

The Knicks get a SG/SF that plays to Marbury's strengths (setting up outside shooting), he's young (25), can rebound at his position, and can run the break a bit. Although this guarantees we're taking Frye or another big man at 8. Frye, Taft, Villanueva, Bynum, Blatche, either one or two, whoever slips should be drafted by NY.

The Suns get that interior presence to help out Amare. Kurt is a solid guy, and would fit very well with a contending team like the Suns. He'll hit the jumpshot, grab a few defensive boards, and play solid D. I'm happy for him. He was good here in NY, and I wish him luck.

Yes, NBT4:20, Andrew Bynum is in this draft. He, along with Gerald Green and Martell Webster are the high school guys who are probrably going to go in the first round.

I like this trade for the Suns more than the Knicks. The Suns being able to move Amare back to 4 is huge. Plus Thomas has a great mid range game that will really open things up for Amare on the block one on one, where he is virtually unstoppable. KT also brings the tough to a team that gets the soft tag just because they run a lot.

As for the Knicks, they now have a 3 guard rotation that could end up bickering over time. There may be potential trouble if Crawford or Q have a problem coming off the bench.

Q-Rich will play the 3. But Crawford would have no problem backing up the 1 and 2; he knew that when he came over here with Houston already here.

So the Knicks are so going to cut Allan Houston, because if they don't use the time to do it now, they are retarded.

There are talks that the Mavs might cut Michael Finley.

This new rule of allowing teams to cut players sucks. It rewards players for not living up to their contracts. Not only do they get paid in full, they get to go sign with whatever team they want, and get paid even more money.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2094261

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves guard Fred Hoiberg said he will have heart surgery Tuesday at the Mayo Clinic to correct an enlarged aortic root.

Hoiberg

Hoiberg told the Minneapolis Star Tribune on Friday that he should be able to play again, but he will consider retiring if his condition is life threatening.

"My world has been turned upside down,'' Hoiberg told the newspaper. "That's when priorities get set.''

Hoiberg has a wife and four children.

The technical diagnosis is an aortic root aneurysm. That means there is a bulge in the root, where the artery meets the heart's aortic valve. He started getting hints of a problem in January and went to the Mayo Clinic, where he was diagnosed.

The 32-year-old played the entire 2004-05 season with the condition.

"Had I taken a significant blow to that area, it could have caused a rupture,'' Hoiberg said.

"I think back to last year, how disappointing it was for us not to make the playoffs. But for me personally, it probably was a blessing we didn't make the playoffs," he said.

Hoiberg said he has been told a full recovery is expected. He said he is confident he can play three or four more years if everything heals correctly.

He said recovery could take three months.

Hoiberg was drafted by the Indiana Pacers in 1995. He joined the Timberwolves as a free agent in 2003.

Wow. Here's hoping the Mayor has a speedy recovery and there's no serious problems.

Cleveland trades Jiri Welsch to Milwaukee for a future 2nd-round pick. It came up on the draft bottom line.

The Pho-NY trade is finally done. Here is the exact trade

Phoenix gets

Kurt Thomas

Draft rights to #54 Dijon Thompson

New York gets

Quentin Richardson

Draft rights to #21 Nate Robinson

I like the Knicks getting Nate Robinson in that deal. I don't know how much he's going to play this year, they'd be smart to give Marbury more rest, but he's a good player. I think Isiah thought he was drafting Marcus Camby and Damon Stoudamire.

Hmm, The Pistons get Jason Maxiell...

I have mixed emotions about this pickup. Sure he fits in with the Pistons almost perfectly in attitude, but I think they might have been better served by picking up a shooter. No doubt Joe Dumars is going to chase after Michael Finley, as bringing Allan Houston back there would be a big mistake.

I have to agree with the consensus that the Suns got the better end of the deal by getting Kurt Thomas. Like the Pistons need more offense, the Suns needed more defense and that trade addressed that need. I just hope for their sake that they don;t stand pat on that, as they seriously need to toughen up on the defensive end. They can score, but if they cannot stop anyone when they need to, that doesn't mean anything.