TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Mr and Mrs Smith vs War of The Roses

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

What did y'all think of Mr and Mrs Smith..... I got a major War of the Roses vibe from it, and felt it was to contrived and the action scenes were too Rambo like (1 man wipes out an army without a scratch or a Sniper taking out their head) I enjoyed the humor of the movie and would easily rank it a high 7 or 8, but the stuff I mentioned took away a bit of the enjoyment for me.

It made me think the same thing every movie with Angelina Jolie makes me think:

I'd really like to nail Angelina Jolie.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (read: I've been deployed for the past six months), I didn't see a single trailer for this movie, and hadn't even heard of it until last month, when we hit port and a bunch of us went to go see Episode III. Well, we hit port again this month, and some people dragged me to go see this movie; I didn't have high expectations for it, but figured, if nothing else... well, see RobotJerk's comments...

I was surprised, however, with how much I enjoyed this movie; I was only 14 years old when War of the Roses came out, and it didn't have what I like to call "replay value" to me, so I didn't actively compare it to War anyway.

I wasn't bothered by the "Rambo-esque" action scenes at all; I don't care about realism in movies if the movie is entertaining, and this movie entertained me. It didn't try to be dramatic, which I thought was a good decision, and the comedy was pretty well done, in my opinion. I was also very impressed with the chemistry between Pitt and Jolie; it was clear to see why somebody might think that they were fucking, and I have to say, if Pitt was going to leave Jennifer Anniston for another woman, Angelina Jolie is defnintely a good choice.

I have to say though, all things being equal, even if this movie was meant to be a War ripoff, Angelina Jolie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kathleen Turner.

Motion seconded and carried.

Angelina Jolie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kathleen Turner.

Angelina is definitely greater than the voice of Jessica Rabbit any day.

I don't know, people that wouldn't like this movie seem kind of like idiots. I'm not even going to see it, because I haven't the time and never will. But I think that anyway.

I saw the movie around two weeks ago due to all of us getting to the theater late, and it being the only movie that hadn't started yet. That being said, I enjoyed it quite a bit and it was better than it had any right to be. Not often all of us enjoy the same movie but outside a few minor issues with the ending, it was worth the ticket price.

I keep getting badgered by several female friends that I should take the girlfriend to see this.

This thread has reinforced my position against seeing the movie.

Maybe I should actually talk to the girlfriend about it lol.

The "one man takes out an army" thing is one of the many many many reasons I hated "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever". I got dragged to see that and to this day consider it probably the worst movie I've ever ever seen...and i've seen alot of the so-called "horrible" MST3K films.

I loved the movie until they pussied out at the end. We all know how this movie was supposed to end and they just plain pussied out.

Damn good movie though. And I really enjoyed he Pitt vs. Jolie parts. And me not seeing many previews, I had no idea that they didn't know about each other being spys, so basically, I walked in knowing nothing at all.

The "one man takes out an army" thing is one of the many many many reasons I hated "Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever". I got dragged to see that and to this day consider it probably the worst movie I've ever ever seen...and i've seen alot of the so-called "horrible" MST3K films.

I haven't seen Ballistic, but Van Helsing may very well be the single worst movie I have ever EVER seen...

I haven't seen Ballistic, but Van Helsing may very well be the single worst movie I have ever EVER seen...

Amen to that. I STILL can't get over how the chikc died.

Hey, Ripper. Since I don't plan on paying to see this, why not tell me how it ends to satisfy my curiosity?

Amen to that. I STILL can't get over how the chikc died.

Hey, Ripper. Since I don't plan on paying to see this, why not tell me how it ends to satisfy my curiosity?

It ends the way you totally expect it to end. With them living.

But there is the scene at the end, and seriously, if you are in this thread you should be expecting spoilers by now and if you are reading this paragraph, just go to the next post, but they are trapped in this little shed after getting shot the fuck up(they had on kevlar of course, but still...they are kinda fucked up) and jolie looks out one of the bullet holes in the shed to see dozens of armed guys surrounding the thing while pitt is still on the ground moaning from the bullets asking how bad is it out there. The music slows down, she says piece of cake, they share their cute little romantic moment and prepare to walk out there with guns a blazing....thenthey win.

Let the two of them die in a blaze of glory and you have a DAMN good movie. Right now, its just a good movie with the ending you would expect.

See, I kept expecting a downer ending, ie them dying at the end and was happier that they didn't. This movie was made to entertain and have people leave the theater happy, not bum them out.

If the movie ended on a downer, then my gf probably wouldn't have been all excited as she was when she left, and I probably wouldn't have gotten any that night. Just think about that for a sec...

Guest Joshua A. Norton
Ripper, I think you've seen Thelma & Louise a few too many times...

Nah, Ripper's ending sounds more like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Van Helsing was the biggest piece of shit I had ever seen. Especially, the ending when Kate Beckinsale kicked it. It was a good thing that the film had less than 10 minutes left after that or I would have walked out, then again I should have within the first 10 minutes.

As for Mr. and Mrs. Smith, see my sig.

Ripper, I think you've seen Thelma & Louise a few too many times...

Nah, Ripper's ending sounds more like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Not my fault they butch and sundanced it up, but dammit thats the ending it should have had.

I LOVE ANGELINA JOLIE! DOES ANYONE ELSE LOVE ANGELINA JOLIE? SHE'S GOT ENORMOUS LIPS!

See, I kept expecting a downer ending, ie them dying at the end and was happier that they didn't.  This movie was made to entertain and have people leave the theater happy, not bum them out.

I agree with that. There was one scene where I thought for sure that both of them were going to be killed.

I saw this movie earlier today, only because I was trying to get out of a horrible storm that was going on, and this was the only movie starting right at that time. This movie was more than far fetched, especially near the end, but I guess that's ok since this wasn't meant to be anything other than a fun, mindless, summer popcorn flick. I was entertained by it, but it wasn't anything too special. I'd even go as far to say that I'd watch a sequel. I'd just have to be in the right mood again.