TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

The Coach on RAW

They finally did something new with the announcers. On RAW it's now The Coach, Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler. I thought it's a great addition, I love the Coach. What do you guys think?

I like the idea, gives Raw something new. Plus, at this point, coach is probably better for that announcing position than Jerry Lawler. Doesn't look like they'll move Lawler anytime soon so I'll take a three man team for now.

In a perfect universe, Paul Heyman would be color commentator, but I take what I can get.

Guest QUP2CME

I think he did a great job, both at Vengeance and on Raw.

Something fresh.

Coach works well with JR and King. And he doesn't go into uberheel like you'd think he would. I'd like them to keep the 3 man team for a while, King and JR need a kick in the ass.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

I think Coach, King and JR is better than ANY two-way combination. I think they all complement each other perfectly. Coach as the heel, JR as the face and King as the tweener. I think having the three of them would mask the shortcomings of each commentator.

Putting Heyman on commentary on SD would most likely improve Michael Cole (who I think is actually an OK commentator, not great, but OK) and Tazz (who's just dreadful). Heyman's just awesome whatever he does.

Tazz is way too hit and miss. When he's at his best he's ok, but when he's anything else he's dreadful. He'll just leave the world of wrestling and ramble on about nothing.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite
Tazz is way too hit and miss. When he's at his best he's ok, but when he's anything else he's dreadful. He'll just leave the world of wrestling and ramble on about nothing.

The way I see it, if you weren't actually watching SmackDown and you listened to Tazz, you'd have absolutely no idea what was going on. Michael Cole, while he's the most marky commentator ever (unless anybody cares to argue), as far as marks and fans go, he fulfils his job. He's marky enough to put over untalented people, hypes up PPVs and matches effectively and actually tells you what's going on. He's annoying, really, really annoying, but I don't think he's the worst commentator by any means. Right now I'd even take him over Lawler, who's gotten worse the past few years

Guest JerichosHi-Lite

Oh no, I definitely agree. I can't stand Michael Cole but, as regards WWE, he does a good job of putting everything over and making everything seem a bigger deal than it is. He actually does COMMENTATE, too, and put over faces (sorry, Flair) and expresses his distaste of heels (sorry again, Flair), which is what a commentator SHOULD do. He doesn't just talk, like Tazz. I could do that.

I actually liked Coach on Raw this week. He seemed like a real addition, instead of just antagonizing JR and King. Some of his little comments like during the Flair/Angle match where he said "Flair's just making Angle mad now" actually helped the match which is what announcers should be doing. It was the first time I can recall him making a good, helpful statement on commentary. Hopefully, he keeps it up.

I think Tazz is good when he sticks to analyzing strategies in matches and explaining the "psychology" to casual fans. The problem with his rambling is that Cole usually goes along with him instead of reeling him back in.

Guest xad

I enjoyed the combination a lot. I've enjoyed coach's work a lot ever since they turned him heel; he just cracks me up at times.

I'd like to see more of this combo in the future.

I don't like Coach and even I will admit he's stepped up since being put with JR and King. Hopefully Coach will continue improvement and perhaps even get more product knowledge and follow storylines.

As for Cole, I just flat out don't like his voice and find him annoying. I don't have any alternatives except guys who are outside the company and know that Cole is the best they've got right now (which doesn't say much about the state of announcing). That said, he still calls moves wrong occasionally (which I blame on editing some because they tape SD and can correct Cole's many mistakes) and he just comes off like a total tool. Just because he's the best thing available now doesn't mean he can't be criticized still.

I have always been a big fan of the three man commentary team......all the way back to Nitro when it was Heenan, Mongo, and Bischoff.....during the first year of Nitro...

The J.R., King, and Coach team definatley looks like its going to be a huge improvement from what we have had in the past.....

Guest *KNK*
Oh no, I definitely agree. I can't stand Michael Cole but, as regards WWE, he does a good job of putting everything over and making everything seem a bigger deal than it is. He actually does COMMENTATE, too, and put over faces (sorry, Flair) and expresses his distaste of heels (sorry again, Flair), which is what a commentator SHOULD do. He doesn't just talk, like Tazz. I could do that.

Josh Matthews does it better. Matthews also knows the history and background of wrestling in addition to be capable of putting anything over just as well if not better then Cole.

Guest QUP2CME

Joey Styles would be GREAT as a commentator. IMO his commentary was one of the highlights of ONS.

Josh Matthews does it better. Matthews also knows the history and background of wrestling in addition to be capable of putting anything over just as well if not better then Cole.

I hope Josh Matthews moves up to Raw or SD one day. The other thing he does well is remember past story lines. On Velocity, Steve Romero was complaining about what a huge loss Kurt Angle was while Josh basically said fuck him. It took Steve a couple minutes to remember that Angle did beat the hell out of Josh a few months back.

That's more than can be said for JR who now takes Kane's side even though Kane intentionally and maliciously set him on fire. Maybe JR just has a big heart.

Joey Styles would be GREAT as a commentator. IMO his commentary was one of the highlights of ONS.

Only if they would let him go full blown on commentarry.

If they try to hold him back or feed him lines, he's better off not with the company.

Yeah, but just so they can use his voice on ECW events and for 24/7, I really dont think it was a fully blown contract for announcing and all.