TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for thinking it was fake the first time - how would you know it was a picture I took and put on a facebook album? I'm not sure why you'd think anyone would mock such a fakery up (again, I point out it's hardly relevant, just something I saw and liked). WWM did know that though so he and I did some perhaps unfair / perhaps fair mocking of you calling it fake, especially with my EXTREME EXAGGERATION of how I faked the picture.

My friend actually has a 32x... but is missing the power source. He's an unhappy camper.

I refuse to comment on that one guy, so everything I say about the 32x is from personal experience only.

I've played Chaotix and Kloribi (a hummingbird shooter) on it. Kloribi had great graphics on that system, very Ecco-esque in graphics, music, and gameply. And anybody who says the 3d Sonics are the worst games clearly never played Knuckles Chaotix (or Sonic Labyrinth, but that's is a different subject all together). The game had potential, and I love it for having my favorite Sonic character making his debut in it, Espio the Chameleon. However, the level design was sloppy as hell and the game mechanics were buggy at best.

AVGN on the 32X is incredibly funny and informative. I had no idea that thing required separate cables AND it's own power source. I just assumed it worked like Sonic and Knuckles.

As someone who owned that piece of shit, it's every bit the nightmare to hook up as he made it look like.

And just like it appears, typically a game would have the Genesis do part of the work, and the 32x the other. See: INVISIBLE Primal Rage. Or INVISIBLE Virtua Fighter.

Oh, and depending on what model of Genesis you would use, sometimes you needed to have an attached *adapter* slide between the 32x and Genesis to make it fit right, and an *additional* connector would need to be used on the cable that connects from the 32X to the Genesis. Not a problem if you got a boxed retail unit. However, if you were insane enough to pay whatever asking price the local flea market wants for it, chances are slim you would get all the cables. Oh, and there was something that you'd attack to the expansion slot on the Genesis as well if it wasn't already connected to a Sega CD. You'd just jam it on there and it would stick out of the system uncomfortably, like a catheter.

The 32X is also the only Sega system with no good exclusive games. Chaotix is really lame, honestly. And that's what I thought when I'd played back in Jr. High. I couldn't deny it even though I had my parents drive all around the Pittsburgh area to *find* a copy of the game, then paid for it out of my own money.

There's not a single 32X game worth hooking the damn thing up today. I've played basically every damn one of the games that came out here. Ask me about any one, seriously.

After owning it for about a year I dropped it off my roof and watched it smash apart on the concrete below. Then I whacked it with a sledgehammer.

This was long before any sort used game market or any large secondary market was big, though. My 32X and the set of games I had with it might be worth a whopping...um...$30 today. And like 20 of that would be for Chaotix.

Guest Smues

I bought one on Ebay, only so I could combine it with a sega CD as well and make the unwholey trinity of satan system. Sadly it really does suck, and without the "so bad it's hilarious" stuff that the Sega CD offers.

Guest Smues

Oh wow I forgot about the front loading Sega CD. Good times, good times.

At least the Saturn wasn't half-bad. Horribly marketed, yes. Rushed out of the gate too soon? Definitely. But it was actually a decent system with some great games.

I miss the good SEGA.

The 32x shouldn't even have made it past the drawing board.

I think Mega Man 2 Dr. Wily Stage 1 has a rival for the mantle of best video game song ever, that being Bloody Tears from Castlevania. Is that song rehashed in every Castlevania game ever? If not, it should be.

Did we cover the 32X in complete detail in the 100 Reasons thread?

Don't think so. Crap happened and I didn't finish the list, tho I was close. I could resume it at any time; I have a few more reasons scribbled down somewheres. I should stop at 99 and wait until NiGHTs 2 is released.

At least the Saturn wasn't half-bad. Horribly marketed, yes. Rushed out of the gate too soon? Definitely. But it was actually a decent system with some great games.

I miss the good SEGA.

The 32x shouldn't even have made it past the drawing board.

As far as bang for buck, the Saturn is the 2nd best system I ever bought. $25 at a pawn shop in like '97.

#1 was the 10 dollar Dreamcast I got several years later.

man, you guys are just MEAN ;)

Do you need a hug?

ha!

hey, killing off 15 minutes or so with a round of Sewer Shark was fun!

The games that I had that I really hated: Night Trap, Double Switch, that boxing game, some Dracula game.

First off 32x had Virtua Fighter which kicked fucking ass, and the best NBA Jam port at the time and fucking Doom.

AND thats about it.

But I would still play those (yes, I owned the 32x)

And I know its about a page back but how the fuck is Marcus Fenix a bad character design? What is a guy in a post apocolyptic war supposed to look like. all the characters in that game are pretty well designed.

Guest Smues
ha!

The games that I had that I really hated: Night Trap, Double Switch, that boxing game, some Dracula game.

Night Trap falls into the 'hilariously bad' group of games. The plot was over the top terrible, as was most of the acting.

I was wondering if you had seen...MAH BOAT!

ha!

Night Trap falls into the 'hilariously bad' group of games. The plot was over the top terrible, as was most of the acting.

I was wondering if you had seen...MAH BOAT!

MOST of the acting?

The worst game was that Slam City with Scottie Pippen basketball game. Good god I hated that game.

Oh and the Sega CD is completely worth it if you can find that Eternal Champions game. Greatest unlockable characters ever.

Like Black Lushus and Luke-O mentioned, Snatcher was a great game. I'd love to see it ported to a current console... And let's not forget about another good Sega CD game, well I liked it: Shining Force CD. When my brother borrowed it from his friend, I also managed to get my first taste of the Lunar series, by playing Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.

I picked up Sonic Gems Collection today. Sonic CD is indeed an underrated Sonic game. It's not a great as Sonic 1,2,3&K, but it still has its charm. The fact that it gave birth to Amy Rose is good enough for me. However, getting all the good futures is indeed a pain in the BUTT. The race between Sonic and Metal Sonic was pretty epic for its time. And strangely enough, I actually prefer the American soundtrack (by Ecco composer Spencer Neislen) to the Japanese one. I also have the PC version of Sonic CD that I found at flea market, but it sadly doesn't work on Windows XP. I got the XP patch for it, but the game is still buggy as hell. At least now I have a non-buggy version of the game.

Sonic the Fighters is goofy fun. Is it a deep fighting game? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Its just a clone of Fighting Vipers, with Sonic characters. I have a blast playing it with my friends though.

Sonic R is just odd... very odd. Tails Doll is the most evil thing ever created, bar none. And the jPop soundtrack just won't leave my head! I heard the music for the game was bad, but I didn't expect it to be THIS bad!

First off 32x had Virtua Fighter which kicked fucking ass, and the best NBA Jam port at the time and fucking Doom.

AND thats about it.

But I would still play those (yes, I owned the 32x)

As I said, no good exclusives. The only good games are compromised translations not worth messing with today.

VF, NBA Jam TE, and Doom weren't exclusives, and even though the 32X versions have become obsolete since you can play NBA Jam TE and Doom on PS1 in superior forms. Even if VF1 wasn't obsolete there's Remix, VF2, and the newer titles.

NBA Jam TE had the player scaling, but still had terrible sound.

Wrestlemania Arcade was basically Genesis version with more color.

Mortal Kombat II " " " " " " "

Primal Rage " " " " " " "

WWF Raw and Brutal: Paws of Fury added one extra character to each game plus more color. However, SNES versions still looked and sounded better (and Brutal still sucked; Brutally).

32x was the Sega CD Part 2: Now with More Color, Shittier Sound, and no Japanese Development Support.

And I know its about a page back but how the fuck is Marcus Fenix a bad character design? What is a guy in a post apocolyptic war supposed to look like.

The glowing things on the armor? Lack of a helmet despite the thick armor? Ginormous jaw? He's too badass to wear a helmet despite being shot at all the time?

Sonic CD is underrated because:

A. Not that many people have played it.

B. There are plenty of haters for the game.

The only people overrating the game are the elitists that think they're special just because they were able to play the game when it first came out, and needed a reason to justify their purchase of the overpriced SEGA CD. (I know a few people like this on a different forum, not knocking on anybody here specifically)

The most overrated game in the Sonic franchise is Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Well, I'm not doubting there are circles that probably dislike Sonic CD (and I don't blame them), the mainstream gaming media has been consistently declaring it the best Sonic game since it was released (I believe EGM just made this statement again recently). This is in spite of the fact that:

1. It lacks the refinement Sonic 2 had over Sonic 1 - Tails, the speed dash, and the REAL reason Sonic 2 is the greatest Sonic game - the Vs mode race (Sonic 3 really blew it on that one, btw).

2. Time travel is a useless gimmick.

3. Sonic 3 IS good. I know you have some bizarre policy that "If it ain't broke, fix it, because more of the same - even when the same is great - is terrible" (or that's what I picked up in your psudo-bashing of Twilight Princess) that somehow doesn't carry over to a repetitive series about a caveman that bonks his head on things, but that doesn't mean Sonic 3 is overrated. Yes, I just said the Vs. Racing sucks compared to Sonic 2, but the graphics are better, the levels look nicer, the boss fights are more enjoyable, it kind of has a story, Knuckles is a fine character addition, and the ability to gain special attacks based on the elemental shields is awesome.

The only people I could possibly see bashing this game are people that don't count (internet people like me) or people that just recently got into gaming and don't know that they're supposed to be enamoured in the hype that is "SONIC CD - GREATEST SONIC EVER".

So, in conclusion, I would have to say Sonic 2 - Sonic 3 - Sonic CD - Sonic and Knuckles (which was literally more of the same of Sonic 3, not an upgrade that improved upon play mechanics) - Sonic 1.