TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Comments that don't warrant a thread

Still upset that I picked apart Chrono Trigger without you being able to present any counter-argument? ;)

What magical fantasy land was that in?

I recall you making some stupid, wise-ass comment about it, right about the time I stopped taking anything you say seriously.

At this point I let you toss out your opinions and let you hang yourself with them, much like Alex has done at a much more accelerated rate.

I'm waiting for that Suikoden essay. It's been...what...4-5 months already?

And no, I have no idea what the hell you're going on about, sorry.

How the hell am I hanging myself with my opinions? Because I thought the first Bubsy was good when it came out? Because I enjoyed Judge Dredd and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure over ten years ago? Because I didn't like Chrono Trigger or WrestleMania: The Arcade Game? Or because one of my first posts on the board in a while was me saying how much I loved TMNT (NES)? Or are you one of those guys that completely hate Secret of Evermore's existence?

How the hell am I hanging myself with my opinions? Because I thought the first Bubsy was good when it came out? Because I enjoyed Judge Dredd and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure over ten years ago? Because I didn't like Chrono Trigger or WrestleMania: The Arcade Game? Or because one of my first posts on the board in a while was me saying how much I loved TMNT (NES)?

Yup.

Or are you one of those guys that completely hate Secret of Evermore's existence?

Nope.

It's easier to say someone is stupid instead of why they're stupid. Not that people have to give detailed reasoning why they think anything, but if you're going to be the first to jump on someone for something that is rather subjective (that being the criteria of a quality video game), you probably should try. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to be genuine right now.

He said games that won't be on the VC anytime soon.

I never played the PS version of WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. I remember the SNES Version not being good.

I haven't played Pitfall and Judge Dredd in along time, I just remembering them being decent.

And the first Bubsy was perfectly playable. It's sequels that suck.

And never once did I say that Mega Man Soccer was good. I just said it was worth getting for comedic value.

Super Metroid hasn't been announced anywhere yet, has no ESRB listing, and frankly I wouldn't count on it coming out until we're closer to Prime 3's (unannounced) release date. So it's indefinite.

Pitball had good graphics, but the controls were poor. Everything was way too slippery and hit detection was poor. So, I'd say it was fundamentally broken.

Judge Dredd was pretty much like every other forgettable Acclaim licensed game of the time. Yes, I played it. You walked from left to right, you shot people, in front of bland backdrops. I got it as filler for a 5-games-for-$10 deal a local pawn shop had a while ago, so I did play it recently.

Bubsy 1 I can't really give an "underrated" nod. If Pitfall was slippery, Bubsy was to the nth degree. The sequels were just so far off-the-scale bad it looks like a masterpiece in comparison.

Mega Man Soccer I played and it was just basically a sprite hack of some other soccer game. Plus, the game's ridiculous secondary market price ($30-$40 and higher) are not worth it.

I prefer that to blatant accusations.

You *can* make that vaguer, more general. I believe in you!

Well, Andrew, using your logic, I can say you're hanging yourself for actually liking WrestleMania: The Arcade Game. The 20,400 difference between our post count doesn't matter really. Just saying, that's all.

Seriously. When is somebody not allowed to have an opinion? I respect your opinion on games. The guy asked for a list of games worth getting for the SNES not on VC or will be available sometime soon. I gave a list of of games that I found enjoyable in one way or another. I get attacked for not including Super Metroid, a game CONFIRMED to be coming out for the VC.

And you seriously must be confusing Bubsy: Claws Encounter With The Furred Kind with Bubsy 2 or Bubsy 3D. The first one was decent, the other two really sucked.

EDIT: Added link to proof that Super Metroid was confirmed.

Bubsy 1 is a generic mascot platformer. Not even a good one. The only thing I can remember about it is that it had a bunch of death animations which I recall just because it was impossible.

Well, Andrew, using your logic, I can say you're hanging yourself for actually liking WrestleMania: The Arcade Game.

Not at all. What's the difference between it and Slam Masters besides digitized graphics and a more MK-ish control scheme/combo system? The SNES version sucks. The game itself is good. You said basically that was the only version you played.

And everyone likes a few "bad" games. You seem to like, oh, hundreds. :)

The 20,400 difference between our post count doesn't matter really.

And I never mentioned it nor would I ever. What the hell would that have to do with anything?

Seriously. When is somebody not allowed to have an opinion? I respect your opinion on games. The guy asked for a list of games worth getting for the SNES not on VC or will be available sometime soon. I gave a list of of games that I found enjoyable in one way or another. I get attacked for not including Super Metroid, a game CONFIRMED to be coming out for the VC.

I didn't attack you, I pointed out selections that I think weren't really any good. You know, sharing my opinion?

"Games worth getting" isn't the same as "games I found enjoyable." I usually don't make strong recommendations on games I think most others wouldn't like. Some average games like JP are iffy, but those titles I disagreed with and pointed them out. I guess I should have just given reasons, but I was a bit overwhelmed. :)

And you seriously must be confusing Bubsy: Claws Encounter With The Furred Kind with Bubsy 2 or Bubsy 3D. The first one was decent, the other two really sucked.

No, there's no mistake. I haven't played the Jaguar game, but the original game I have, and I wouldn't recommend it any more than I would Aero or Zero. Decent graphics and poor controls.

Before you posted I googled and saw that. My mistake.

NOVEMBER and it still isn't out?

That's like XBLA-style announcing-far-in-advance-and-going-forever-without-delivering style crap right there.

Bubsy 1 is a generic mascot platformer. Not even a good one. The only thing I can remember about it is that it had a bunch of death animations which I recall just because it was impossible.

In Bubsy, things like jumping on enemies were a huge risk. You might hit them, YOU might get hit.

Plus Bubsy would often go too fast for the screen to center properly, and crash into enemies that popped out of nowhere. It was like Sonic Advance series style poor design--and you died in one hit in that game, I believe.

There was also the USELESS glide. Why would a bobcat glide? He doesn't even have any equipment like a glider or a parachute or anything to make him glide. He just does it.

Speaking of bad ports, beat 'em ups, and poor design--

Like Lushus was saying, Double Dragon XBLA is kind of cool but it's a shame Advance kind of outshines it.

However, I'll probably check it out for the online coop, plus it'll be the first *good*, *complete* home version of the arcade game.

NES version has no coop, Master System is flicker-city and has iffy collision, the more primitive systems had really ugly versions, the Genesis version was complete garbage (it had poorer control and collision detection than SNES Captain America and the Avengers), and Advance I don't count because it's so different (redone graphics, DD2 levels, etc).

Nintendo is saving Super Metroid for a rainy day. I'd be content if they started releasing some N64 games. Like, the only N64 game I want, which almost certainly will not see a release.

Nintendo is saving Super Metroid for a rainy day. I'd be content if they started releasing some N64 games. Like, the only N64 game I want, which almost certainly will not see a release.

Humor me. What is it?

I'm kind of hoping Castlevania Legacy of Darkness gets release, but no way that's going to happen. It's almost universally reviled, although most of it is by proxy of CV64.

Oh, as for recommended SNES games, a few I'd have to pick that aren't likely to get VC release soon: the previously mentioned Turtles in Time, Batman and Robin, Run Saber (a fine Strider clone that has coop mode), Super Turrican 1 and 2 (both essentially original games, but part of a larger series of games, the Turricans), and Demon's Crest (although it's hella hard).

Oh, plus Yoshi's Island, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger, which won't be on for obvious reasons. With Yoshi, it's because of the GBA port. With the latter two, Square wants to milk their old games in single-game re-releases, and they will not re-release Mana because they don't want to remind gamers of what a good Mana game was (they basically said this in not so many words).

Oh, and Rendering Ranger R2--but it's an import-only title that commands high 2ndary market prices, so it's more of an emulation candidate:

I'll tell you this much. I'll go ahead and play a rom of Bubsy, and I'll give a fair review of it. Afterward Pitfall and Judge Dredd. Then I'll comeback to see how the games have aged.

MegaMan Soccer is that expensive? If knew that, I woundn't have listed it. I just posted a bunch of games that that I thought the decent-at-best games would be less than $5.00, and the Square RPGs, like Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, will burn an enormous hole in your wallet.

I'll just say this. WrestleMana: The Arcade Game is bad if you want a wrestling game. WWF Raw is War and WWF Royal Rumble is superior in this aspect. However, it's good if you want an okay fighting game featuring Doink as a playable character.

And sorry for bringing up the post counts. I get touchy sometimes, and some people actually do think that having a higher post count matters in an argument. Sorry if I come across as bucky at times.

If you can't understand and find it comical, try educating yourself. It's not hard to compare the lists of released games. I'll take the two GTA games, MGS PO, Valkyrie Profile and Ace Combat over almost anything the DS has. Let me guess though, those games all suck right? How anyone would think the DS lineup is so vastly superior to the PSP's that they couldn't understand how someone would prefer the latter, is beyond me. Then again, we're comparing Sony to Nintendo here, so I stand corrected, I understand it perfectly.

GTA is fine, if you like that. MGS PO is superb, VP is legendary, and Ace Combat is just fine.

The Nintendo DS has Phoenix Wright.

Humor me. What is it?

I'm kind of hoping Castlevania Legacy of Darkness gets release, but no way that's going to happen. It's almost universally reviled, although most of it is by proxy of CV64.

Ogre Battle 64. I ended up acquiring Majora's Mask via other means, and Paper Mario isn't a priority with the zillion other games in the series that are around.

GTA is fine, if you like that. MGS PO is superb, VP is legendary, and Ace Combat is just fine.

The Nintendo DS has Phoenix Wright.

I like a few titles on the DS, just not on the whole as much as the listed PSP ones. I'm still buying a DS anyway.

Okay Andrew, I'll give you Bubsy. I only got the third level before I decide the game isn't worth $1.99. The controls were horrid! The music sucked (and I am a person who loves video game music). And the collision detection is spotty at best. Even for a game released in 1992, the game just sucks. I'll take it off the list and chalk it up as a horrible Sonic the Hedgehog clone.

MegaMan Soccer is that expensive? If knew that, I woundn't have listed it. I just posted a bunch of games that that I thought the decent-at-best games would be less than $5.00, and the Square RPGs, like Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger, will burn an enormous hole in your wallet.

I'll just say this. WrestleMana: The Arcade Game is bad if you want a wrestling game. WWF Raw is War and WWF Royal Rumble is superior in this aspect. However, it's good if you want an okay fighting game featuring Doink as a playable character.

And sorry for bringing up the post counts. I get touchy sometimes, and some people actually do think that having a higher post count matters in an argument. Sorry if I come across as bucky at times.

That's just for a cart-only MMS. I sold a boxed, complete copy for $50 on ebay after a 19 dollar opening bid. This was pre-Mega Man collections, BTW. So during the time MM7/MMX2/MMX3 were all commanding far more on average.

I still don't think Wrestlemania Arcade is bad in any way. It's like saying NBA Jam is a bad basketball game. It isn't a sim any more than WM:A is a sim.

Before Raw, all of the Acclaim WWF games basically had a bunch of wrestlers of the same height with the same move set and one unique move in a button-mashing extraganza. Raw mixed up the move sets, but they were arbitrary differences anyway. For example, whip to ropes + hold X will do a BIG BOOT for 123 Kid and a CLOTHESLINE for Diesel. Wait...what? That makes no sense! Maybe Raw was more realistic...but Wrestlemania Arcade still had wrestling moves in there, a combo system, and you could beat a turkey out of Yokozuna's ass!

We didn't really get great realistic wrestling games until the AKI/Asmik games came out here. Fire Pro existed but I sure as heck didn't know about them. Raw is hella fun, though, if you can deal with just mashing.

I wish my post count were lower, anyway. :) However, I try to word my responses to always avoid personal attacks, cuz that just ain't cool. I only really flame someone with a personal insult if they're being a complete and utter M--er, hole.

I'll tell you this much. I'll go ahead and play a rom of Bubsy, and I'll give a fair review of it. Afterward Pitfall and Judge Dredd. Then I'll comeback to see how the games have aged.

Well, considering how you said you haven't played them in ten years, I guess I could see how you might pick them. However, you should really only recommend games you have played recently.

Okay Andrew, I'll give you Bubsy. I only got the third level before I decide the game isn't worth $1.99. The controls were horrid! The music sucked (and I am a person who loves video game music). And the collision detection is spotty at best. Even for a game released in 1992, the game just sucks. I'll take it off the list and chalk it up as a horrible Sonic the Hedgehog clone.

Hey, it happens. I honestly will often snap up nearly any platformer that appears to have potential from a pawn shop and give it a whirl if I'm in that situation (needing to fill a # of games for a deal). I *wish* Bubsy were good because I'd love to enjoy it if it let me. It really, really didn't let me. :)

Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday is a lot better than Bubsy, for instance.

The best part about Bubsy was when I tried oh so desperately to pretend it was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Okay, with some omissions, and some that even I question for not playing then for a long time (marked with ***)...

A list of SNES games to get that won't be on VC anytime soon:

Aladdin

Alien 3

Battletoads & Double Dragon

Biker Mice From Mars

***Boogerman

Chrono Trigger

***Clayfighter

Demon's Crest

Earthworm Jim & 2

Final Fantasy II

Final Fantasy III

Harvest Moon

Illusion of Gaia

***Jurassic Park

Ken Griffy Jr. Baseball

Killer Instinct

Lemmings

The Lion King

Mega Man Soccer (only for comedic value, very expensive)

Mega Man 7, X, X2, and X3

Mickey Mania

Mortal Kombat II and Mortal Kombat 3

NBA Jam or NBA Jam: Tournament Edition

Rock n' Roll Racing

Saturday Night Slam Masters

Secret of Evermore

Secret of Mana

Shadowrun

***Sim Earth

Spiderman & Venom in Maximum Carnage

***Street Racer