1. Cemetery Man vs Zombi 2 [aka Zombie]

2. Dawn of the Dead [Remake] vs Undead

3. Dead Alive/Braindead vs Return of the Living Dead III

4. Night of the Living Dead [Original] vs Return of the Living Dead

5. Night of the Living Dead [Remake] vs Re-Animator

6. Land of the Dead vs Return of the Living Dead II

7. Day of the Dead vs Shaun of the Dead

8. Dawn of the Dead [Original] vs Wild Zero

Post your votes in this thread. Round 2 will be set for sometime this weekend.

1. ZOMBI 2

2. DAWN OF THE DEAD (REMAKE)

3. DEAD ALIVE

4. RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

5. RE-ANIMATOR

6. LAND OF THE DEAD SUCKS LESS

7. DAY OF THE DEAD

8. DAWN OF THE DEAD ORIGINAL

Bah, I hate it that two pieces of shit in LOTD and ROTLD2 face off, and two of my favorite horror films ever in ROTLD3 and DEAD ALIVE face off!

What an ironic twist of fate! [ no seriously, it was all random - my two favourites square off too - Shaun vs Day :( ]

Also, my votes:

1. Cemetery Man [definitely have to go with Dellamorte here..]

2. Dawn of the Dead [Remake]

3. Return of the Living Dead III

4. Night of the Living Dead [Original]

5. Night of the Living Dead [Remake]

6. Land of the Dead

7. Shaun of the Dead

8. Dawn of the Dead [Original]

let's see...

1. Zombi 2 ( i nominated Dellamorte but i love Zombi 2 a bit more)

3. Dead Alive/Braindead

4. Return of the Living Dead

6. Land of the Dead

7. Shaun of the Dead

8. Dawn of the Dead [Original] (damn it!)

Cemetery Man

Dawn of the Dead [Remake]

Return of the Living Dead III

Night of the Living Dead [Original]

Night of the Living Dead [Remake]

Land of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead [Original]

Guest Dynamite Kido

Of course, I missed the voting!

1. Cemetery Man

3. Dead Alive/Braindead

5. Re-Animator

6. Land of the Dead

7. Day of the Dead

8. Dawn of the Dead

Wow, there's a great deal of movies missed here too..........

1. Cemetery Man

2. Undead

3. Dead Alive/Braindead

5. Re-Animator

6. Land of the Dead

7. Shaun of the Dead

Wow, there's a great deal of movies missed here too..........

Yeah, there weren't as many nominations as I had hoped - so I guess it turned out to be more of a battle of the popular zombie movies that most have seen. ;) I would have liked to have seen Shock Waves in there, but it didn't make the cut.

People that are picking day of the dead over shaun of the dead....you have GOT to explain that one.

1. Cemetery Man

3. Dead Alive/Braindead

6. Return of the Living Dead II(I don't even like this movie, but I really didn't like Land of the Dead)

7. Shaun of the Dead

1.) Dawn of the Dead (original)

2.) Night of the Living Dead (original)

3.) Re-Animator

4.) Dead Alive

5.) Day of the Dead

6.) Return of the Living Dead

7.) Dead and Buried

8.) Wild Zero

9.) Versus

10.) Shaun of the Dead

1. Cemetery Man

3. Dead Alive/Braindead

5. Re-Animator

6. Land of the Dead

7. Shaun of the Dead

1. Zombi 2 [aka Zombie]

3. Return of the Living Dead III (I haven't seen ROTLD 3, but I think Dead Alive is one of the worst movies ever, and ROTLD 3 can't be worse)

5. Re-Animator

6. Land of the Dead

7. Shaun of the Dead

so wait wait wait, a piece of shit like Dead Alive and random-ass Wild Zero made the cut, but VERSUS got left out? BAH!

Guest Dynamite Kido
People that are picking day of the dead over shaun of the dead....you have GOT to explain that one.

Very simple. Considering that Shaun is based around Romero's movies, I'd say that's a good enough reason right there. They use "Romero's rules" for the movie and there are plenty of things in the move that are a dedication to the "Dead" films. Ask Simon Pegg the writer of Shaun which is better. Simon was actually made up to look like Bub from Day in his Land of the Dead cameo......

Still doesn't change the fact that (imho) it's by far the worst of Romero's films and not even as good as a bunch of the Romero clones out there. It's boring, hardly anything happens for the first hour, the dialogue and actors mostly suck big floppy donkey dick, there's none of the social commentary/satire that Romero is usually known for, and the ending is Romero ripping himself off by doing the EXACT same ending as Dawn. Yeah, Bub was cool, but the goofy-ass comedic spiders in Eight-Legged Freaks were cool too, and you don't see anyone praising that one as an all-time classic. Shaun of the Dead on the other hand was easily the funniest zombie movie ever made, one of the wittiest and most intelligently written, and one that actually tried to do something a little bit different than the usual moaning gore-snarfing mindless corpseathon.

Vivisecti, did we vote on the nominees or something, or did you just pick them yourself? Just curious, since I'm wondering how Wild Zero and ROTLD2 made the cut.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Still doesn't change the fact that (imho) it's by far the worst of Romero's films and not even as good as a bunch of the Romero clones out there.  It's boring, hardly anything happens for the first hour, the dialogue and actors mostly suck big floppy donkey dick, there's none of the social commentary/satire that Romero is usually known for, and the ending is Romero ripping himself off by doing the EXACT same ending as Dawn.  Yeah, Bub was cool, but the goofy-ass comedic spiders in Eight-Legged Freaks were cool too, and you don't see anyone praising that one as an all-time classic.  Shaun of the Dead on the other hand was easily the funniest zombie movie ever made, one of the wittiest and most intelligently written, and one that actually tried to do something a little bit different than the usual moaning gore-snarfing mindless corpseathon. 

Day is hardly boring as if you see that you are missing the point. Day technically isn't even a zombie movie as they are hardly in the film to begin with. It's more of a character driven film and I don't see how the acting is bad either. There is plenty of social commentary in Day as it is based around the 80's ME generation and how people's main concern was themselves. The ending is not ripping off Dawn either as they are both vastly different. Bub wasn't just cool either, he was to display the capabilies the zombies had as creatures to learn and expand what their preconcieved notions were of their species. Eight Legged Freaks was NOTHING special and FAR from anything that Romero's ever done. Freaks was far from original and did nothing to set a bench mark for the genre as Day did as an FX film. Plus, if you think that Day is Romero's WORST film..............you may have more watching to do (Does There's Always Vanilla or Monkey Shines ring a bell?). I'm big on Shaun myself, but you must realize that they took 90% of their material straight from Romero's blueprint anyway. Even Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright would tell you that and they wrote it.

Day of the Dead, while a tad boring, still has the intrigue of characters and inevitable "We are FUCKED" ending that holds up over 20 years. Is it boring? At times. But at worst, it is a good, slow movie.

Land of the Dead, however, holds up for Negative 1 hour and 30 minutes, and is not a Romero film. He did a lot less work on the film than many are lead to believe, and it shows. Gore is not there, Hopper plays a straight-up awful character, the lead is too pretty-boy, Asia's lines are awful, Leguizamo plays a generic, and the high-tech wizard element is there. La-ame.

Day is hardly boring as if you see that you are missing the point.  Day technically isn't even a zombie movie as they are hardly in the film to begin with.  It's more of a character driven film and I don't see how the acting is bad either.  There is plenty of social commentary in Day as it is based around the 80's ME generation and how people's main concern was themselves. 

What point? "Soldiers are assholes"? There was no great social commentary, no memorable characters besides Bub, it was just a bunch of people I didn't like screaming at each other nonstop.

The ending is not ripping off Dawn either as they are both vastly different. 

How so? "Zombies infilitrate the fortress, eat all the bad humans, and some of the good guys escape in a helicopter." Exactly the same in both movies.

Bub wasn't just cool either, he was to display the capabilies the zombies had as creatures to learn and expand what their preconcieved notions were of their species. 

Which Land of the Dead did much better, and in much more detail.

Eight Legged Freaks was NOTHING special and FAR from anything that Romero's ever done.  Freaks was far from original and did nothing to set a bench mark for the genre as Day did as an FX film. 

I wasn't saying it was a great film, just using it as an example. Also, "bench mark for the genre"? WTF? Day had no gore effects in it that hadn't already been done in Dawn and a bunch of other horror movies.

Plus, if you think that Day is Romero's WORST film..............you may have more watching to do (Does There's Always Vanilla or Monkey Shines ring a bell?). 

Nope, never seen those, never plan to. Rephrase: Day was Romero's worst zombie movie.

I'm big on Shaun myself, but you must realize that they took 90% of their material straight from Romero's blueprint anyway.  Even Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright would tell you that and they wrote it.

Yes, in terms of the zombies themselves. So? Pretty much every zombie movie ever has copied Romero's design. But beyond that, Shaun had a truly original script and characters that were unlike anything Romero has ever done.

Day of the Dead, while a tad boring, still has the intrigue of characters and inevitable "We are FUCKED" ending that holds up over 20 years. Is it boring? At times. But at worst, it is a good, slow movie.

Land of the Dead, however, holds up for Negative 1 hour and 30 minutes, and is not a Romero film. He did a lot less work on the film than many are lead to believe, and it shows. Gore is not there, Hopper plays a straight-up awful character, the lead is too pretty-boy, Asia's lines are awful, Leguizamo plays a generic, and the high-tech wizard element is there. La-ame.

And I totally disagree with every single thing you just said, but I guess that's the beauty about the subjectivity of art.

Voting for round 1 is closed. Will post round 2 brackets this evening around 12AM EST.

Also lovecraft231, your post up above made no sense - if you want to PM me your votes before midnight Eastern, please do so. :)

Guest Dynamite Kido
What point?  "Soldiers are assholes"?  There was no great social commentary, no memorable characters besides Bub, it was just a bunch of people I didn't like screaming at each other nonstop. 

No, the point isn't the "Soldiers are assholes". It's a social commentary about the 80's and it's ME generation. Actually, if you look at the grand scheme of things the soliders were right.

How so?  "Zombies infilitrate the fortress, eat all the bad humans, and some of the good guys escape in a helicopter."  Exactly the same in both movies. 

Actually the end of Day is that they end up on a desert island.......in Dawn you really don't know what happened to them as they fly out on a helicopter and you never see them again. Both......different endings.

Which Land of the Dead did much better, and in much more detail. 

Well, I guess Land would do that considering that it's suppost to be steps ahead in "zombie evolution".

I wasn't saying it was a great film, just using it as an example.  Also, "bench mark for the genre"?  WTF?  Day had no gore effects in it that hadn't already been done in Dawn and a bunch of other horror movies. 

Well...........you're incorrect about Day having no gore effects that haven't been done before. Nothing had been done up to that point to the effect of Rhodes death scene. Not to mention a bunch of the other stuff (Zombie guts spilling to the floor in Logan's lab) and the fact that this movie was a MAJOR player as an FX movie. You'd be hard pressed to find a better FX film........

Nope, never seen those, never plan to.  Rephrase: Day was Romero's worst zombie movie. 

Actually, I would say that Land is his worst......but opinions are like assholes......

Yes, in terms of the zombies themselves.  So?  Pretty much every zombie movie ever has copied Romero's design.  But beyond that, Shaun had a truly original script and characters that were unlike anything Romero has ever done. 

Actually, I wouldn't say that Shaun is the most original film ever or anything myself. I don't see how the script and characters were unlike anything Romero has ever done, as it was a bit different, but all the major character elements are there. It's just that Shaun has a more comedic approach, when Romero goes toward a strong social commentary (which Shaun actually has)......

Yes, in terms of the zombies themselves.  So?  Pretty much every zombie movie ever has copied Romero's design.  But beyond that, Shaun had a truly original script and characters that were unlike anything Romero has ever done. 

Actually, I wouldn't say that Shaun is the most original film ever or anything myself. I don't see how the script and characters were unlike anything Romero has ever done, as it was a bit different, but all the major character elements are there. It's just that Shaun has a more comedic approach, when Romero goes toward a strong social commentary (which Shaun actually has)......

Also, if there were no Romero films, there would be no Shaun of the Dead.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Also, if there were no Romero films, there would be no Shaun of the Dead.

That is the truth.....

No, the point isn't the "Soldiers are assholes".  It's a social commentary about the 80's and it's ME generation.  Actually, if you look at the grand scheme of things the soliders were right.

I just didn't get what the commentary was supposed to be. To me, Romero has never been that good at it anyway; it's mostly just really obvious jokes. In Dawn: the people in shopping malls are like zombies. In Land: rich people are evil. Romero is many things, but a deep and thoughtful observer of the social zeitgeist isn't one of them.

Actually the end of Day is that they end up on a desert island.......in Dawn you really don't know what happened to them as they fly out on a helicopter and you never see them again.  Both......different endings.

So the only difference is that you see where they land in Day. It's still exactly the same damn thing: human conflict comes to a head, zombies invade the fortress, evil people get eaten, a few good guys get away in a helicopter.

Well...........you're incorrect about Day having no gore effects that haven't been done before.  Nothing had been done up to that point to the effect of Rhodes death scene.  Not to mention a bunch of the other stuff (Zombie guts spilling to the floor in Logan's lab) and the fact that this movie was a MAJOR player as an FX movie.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better FX film........

Which death scene? I assume you mean the one where the guy's eye socket was torn apart. Yeah, that was pretty harsh. But still, I didn't see one gore effect in Day that wasn't very similar to stuff that had already been done in Dawn and countless other movies.

Actually, I wouldn't say that Shaun is the most original film ever or anything myself.  I don't see how the script and characters were unlike anything Romero has ever done, as it was a bit different, but all the major character elements are there.  It's just that Shaun has a more comedic approach, when Romero goes toward a strong social commentary (which Shaun actually has)......

Hell, I think Shaun nailed the social commentary better than Romero ever did. It had the Romero zombies, yeah, but what it did with them was utterly and completely different from any movie ever before. For once, the characters in a zombie film have actually seen zombie films before, and it influenced their actions.

Well...........you're incorrect about Day having no gore effects that haven't been done before.  Nothing had been done up to that point to the effect of Rhodes death scene.  Not to mention a bunch of the other stuff (Zombie guts spilling to the floor in Logan's lab) and the fact that this movie was a MAJOR player as an FX movie.  You'd be hard pressed to find a better FX film........

That's Rickles' death scene. Kido means when Rhodes get shot by Bub and then torn in HALF by a horde of zombies. You see his internal organs, intestines, etc.. pretty much everything. There is a similar scene in Land of the Dead.