TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

What Bands

I'm talking about bands that were getting better and better and then quit.

There's bands like the Beatles and the Clash and Velvet Underground that I wish put out more albums, but had hit their peak as far as the music we saw.

Pixies are an excellent example. though thinking about it, I think they had a steady output of awesomeness, but I think they had a genius album left in them, especially considering I adore the Breeders. That's pure speculation though.

Minor Threat was a great band that broke up too early, but Fugazi's better.

Throwing Muses could have put out a couple more awesome albums, but their early stuff was good too, and 50 foot wave is incredible, and it's basicallythrowing muses.

I'm actually sort of drawing a blank on this one, though I'm sure y'all will fill in the blanks.

I was just thinking the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but they (he) again were pretty much operating on a plateau of excellence.

Oh, Nirvana. They were just getting better and better. There's one.

What band makes you wonder what could have been?

The Doors put out so much great shit in 4-5 years. Imagine what they could've done if Jim hadn't died.

Creed- Yeah, aside from the first album, they kind of sucked. That's the point. if they had tried to add more substance, they could have eben a very good band. Their musical abilities were superior to many modern rock bands of the time.

I didn't even know Creed was still knocking around. If we were talking bands who had genius 1st albums and then crapped out... that Franz Ferdinand would be appropriate. And Creed would still be bombastic Bush wannabe bullshit who repeats their choruses ad nauseum. And sucks.

At least the lead singer of Creed can totally rub himself off while watching his own videos.

The Doors' first album is easily their best, IMO. It's more like 'what if Jim Morrison hadn't been such a poopot," He's definitely a guy who had an inkling of genius, but goddamn did Jim Morrison fuck himself up as quickly as possible. At least Charles Bukowski could handle his fucking liquor.

Creed's not around anymore. Scott Stapp left, the rest of the guys got a new singer, and they formed Alter Bridge.

The Doors' first album was excellent, but I feel that they made a ton of progress as the years went on. The Soft Parade was a brilliant album which sounded little like their previous work, and my personal favorite is Morrison Hotel. That is at least in my top 3 albums of all time, if it isn't #1. If you haven't listened to the entire album, you owe it to yourself to do just that.

The Gang of Four. I've heard that they're first two albums are great, but after that, it's a bit downhill. A shame too, seeing how influential "Entertainment" is.

Same with Public Image Limited. "Second Edition" is one of my alltime favorite albums, and their first and third albums are pretty sweet. After "Flowers of Romance", they failed to make another good album.

I thought Ben Folds Five had potential for another really good album. Then again, for the most part, Ben Folds solo career has paled in comparison to his career with the Five and he was the band's principle songwriter and vocalist.

Not sure if this would fall under this category, but I'd bet if Weezer had put out an album in between Pinkerton and the Green Album, it would have been really good.

Not sure if this would fall under this category, but I'd bet if Weezer had put out an album in between Pinkerton and the Green Album, it would have been really good.

How do you figure? Weezer has never done anything remarkably good.

Well, IMHO, The Blue Album is a classic and Pinkerton is a near classic, everything else is either decent or I haven't heard.

Ultraspank

I was starting to think I was the only one ever who has heard these guys. I like them, nothing more than Nu-Metal, but certainly one of the better bands of that genre out there...they became even better when they became Lo-Pro (well only the signer and lead guitarist are in Lo-Pro, but Ultraspank is no longer around!)

Guest Damn You Helmsley

Cream. Granted Clapton's work since has been steady and often decent (those crunching rifts make the Lethal Weapon series just that little bit better) but it'd have been interesting to see what they could have produced had they stayed together for longer.

Alice In Chains. They were popular in the early 90's and with the Nu-Metal crzed in the end of the decade, they would have transitioned very well.

Guest The Iron Yuppie

I'd throw Rage Against the Machine in to this category. I thought that Battle of Los Angeles was their best album by a substantial margin, and I liked a lot of what they chose to do on their covers album, but they broke up after that. They likely wouldn't have become more popular, but I believe they could have put out more albums that topped their earlier work.

And to echo some previous comments, I would concur on Alice in Chains and Jeff Buckley.

Well, IMHO, The Blue Album is a classic and Pinkerton is a near classic, everything else is either decent or I haven't heard.

What's with these homies, dissing my girl?

Why do they gotta front?

What did we ever do to these guys

That made them so violent?

Woo-hoo, but you know I'm yours

Woo-hoo, and I know you're mine

Woo-hoo, and that's for all time

Oo-ee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly

Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore

I don't care what they say about us anyway

I don't care bout that

Okay so once you get over the fashionable irony of a dorky white kid talking like a black guy and the "oo-ee-oo"s which are fashionably retro, there is nothing here. Nothing. Weezer is mildly amusing for like 10 minutes, but at the end of the day, it's just uninsipred fluff. Weezer is horribly overrated. The ttoo-trendy-for-their-own-good college kids were wrong on this one.

I always found it odd that with Rivers Cuomo being so obsessed with the 'perfect pop song' that he kept that binder of Beatles, Oasis, etc songs and analyzed them so deeply...that he never was able to write anything really good.

Stuck Mojo broke up before they could ever try something new with the rapcore genre. Personally, I felt that their masterpiece was Rising, but Declaration of a Headhunter was damn fine, and showed a bit of growth when it came to Rich Ward writing the music. More melodic than the other albums, though not as groove-filled.

Weezer's first album is seriously overrated. Buddy Holly is still an amusing listen on occasion in a dated sort of way, The Sweater Song was always a stupid song, the first 3 on the album are decent songs but not anything jaw dropping. The 2nd half of that album is highly forgettable aside from the slightly notable Say It Ain't So. To me at least that album doesn't have the timeless appeal of Green Day's Dookie or Offspring's Smash from that time period.

I'd concur on AIC, and I'm tempted to add Soundgarden to it but I think they peaked with Superunknown and there wasn't much more for them to do. Cream is another I'd agree with, it seems like Clapton goes in some other direction right as he gets going.

Here's one no one has mentioned: Saxon. I was looking them up the other day for God knows what reason and saw how well regarded their early 80s albums are, and then once they went into 80s hair metal their career really tanked.

Project Wyze can eat a dick. I hung out with a bunch of PW groupies in Montreal one time because the band was staying in the same hotel as we were when they went on tour w/ Ozzy and Tea Party. Bad groupies, worse band.