TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Band who reached their potential too early

Though it almost pains me to say it...Shadows Fall. Somber Eyes to the Sky showed a lot of promise, and Of One Blood just blew my whole mind away. Art of Balance had a few good tracks, but the music itself was simplified and made too "hardcore" for my tastes (and hardcore is in quotes because it's the more favorable, melodic form of hardcore popular today with scenester fucks). War Within is just taking Art of Balance up a notch, but the lack of an EPIC song to it makes it feel less fulfilling.

And now, here's Agent to completely bash Shadows Fall.

Whitney Houston. An incredible debut album, but then she soon enough went to crap, culminating in the awfulness that was The Bodyguard.

Guest Brian

How many bands have released great first albums and gone nowhere.

I'm not asking a question, because there's been too many.

How did N.E.R.D. break up......two of the guys are the Neptunes and they still produce together.

Well I read in Rolling Stone about four or five months ago that N*E*RD has decided to break up or something along those lines.

I guess Pharrell and Chad want to focus on producing or something like that.

Anything involving Phil Anselmo.

What? I don't know about his other bands, but with Pantera he and the band only got better as they progressed.

True, but that's not including Reinventing the Steel. A break would have done so good for them, allowing them to get back into making the really heavy songs that got them popular, but alas, it was not to be.

They could have been back in their Vulgar Display of Power/ Far Beyond Driven form if they had taken a short break.

I guess the Stone Roses would be the obvious choice.

The Ramones also, in a way. They peaked with the so stupid it's brilliant dumbrock of their first three albums or so, and gradually become more and more uninspired as their career wore on.

You could make a stretch to argue the Clash, since everything after London Calling is largely take it or leave it, but that's such a great record that I don't think I'm really going to complain about them doing their best work halfway through their career.

What? I don't know about his other bands, but with Pantera he and the band only got better as they progressed.

I'd actually agree with anything involving Phil Anselmo. I think Cowboys from Hell is the best thing Pantera ever did, then Vulgar Display of Power was pretty good and after that it goes downhill big time. I know a lot of people disagree there though. With Down, NOLA was a great album, and then the second one I could barely even listen to. I never really got into Superjoint at all, so I'm not sure there.

I wouldn't know, but I keep hearing that pre-Blood Sugar Sex Magik RHCP was the best stuff they've ever done.

Some argue that the Foo Fighters' first album was the best, but I think the follow-up could be better.

I remember being a Korn fan for about 6 months and thinking their debut was a lot better than anything else they've done. But now that I've matured a bit, if I went back I doubt I'd even find that album listenable.

It's not listenable, trust me. I never found it listenable in the first place, but as a 14-year-old kid, I felt the need to buy it for the sake of owning it. It's got "Blind" and...well, nothing else, really.

I wouldn't know, but I keep hearing that pre-Blood Sugar Sex Magik RHCP was the best stuff they've ever done. 

Well, you might be able to say that for The Uplift Mofo Party Plan and maybe Freaky Styely, but other than those, I'd disagree with whoever said that. Blood Sugar Sex Magik is a fucking great album. It was when it was released, and it still is today.

Guest Brian
You could make a stretch to argue the Clash, since everything after London Calling is largely take it or leave it, but that's such a great record that I don't think I'm really going to complain about them doing their best work halfway through their career.

It's a big stretch, because even if they never had an album of that calibre (or even The Clash), they were still laying so much tracks and being so inventitive and stuff.

London Calling is so the incredible shit. I think 'The Clash' is fine but way overrated. The Clash totally reached their peak midway through.

Nine Inch Nails. I think Pretty Hate Machine is theri/his best album by far.

Violent Femmes. Man, they still kickass in concert, but every one of their anthems *about fucking 5 teenage anthems on that album* came from their first.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I actually meant Anselmo in general. The "first" couple Pantera albums are a good time, then Far Beyond Driven came out with at least 50% throwaway tracks, ..Trendkill had a couple moments, then Reinventing the Steel was just putrid shit. Generic riffing, rehashed lyrics, NONE of the fire and balls that fueled their early but not early stuff. Down's NOLA is far and away the best thing he's ever done or will ever do, if you haven't heard it, do so, as it's one of the best metal albums of the 90's. Everything about it, from the songwriting approach, the production, the hurried nature of things, the influence from bands influenced by Sabbath..it totally clicks and comes together for a bunch of guys from different metal bands. Destroys anything Pantera ever did, but admittedly it's comparing apples and assholes, so whichever you go for.

Superjoint made a name for themselves in latter-day/post Pantera, and as such, is samey crap. Down II is not so bad for what it is, but there's no reason to listen to it instead of NOLA. Very weak album in comparison, but to attempt to surpass their original would be madness.