TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Hashimoto dead at 40

Guest Brian
Shinya Hashimoto passed away at approximately 9:30 a.m. Monday morning in Yokohama, Japan. No other details are available at this moment. He was 40. Hashimoto, a many time IWGP champion and Hall of Famer, had, along with Hulk Hogan, headlined more successful huge live pro wrestling events than any wrestlers in the history of the business. He had been out of action for several months after shoulder surgery. We have no details on the cause of death.

From Da Meltz

All I can say for now is nothing. I'm in disbelief.

Holy fuck..... Hashimoto was my first favorite Japanese wrestler. His matches with Regal where what actually got me into puro.

This may be the most horrible wrestling death in the past few years for me.

oh my god, i was expecting a lesser known Hashimoto to be dead....but not shinya hashimoto. I didnt see a lot of his matches but i was a fan of his none the less. It is believed that he died of a brain hemorage.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Sinya Hasimoto Ra professional wrestling to die suddenly, brain extravasation?

Sinya professional wrestling Ra Hasimoto 11th morning, died at municipal large attachment citizen comprehensive medical center of Yokohama Itiminami Ku. They were 40 years old.

It was conveyed by the ambulance, but you say that the death was verified with heart lung stopped state, promptly. Cause of death is seen as brain extravasation.

Hasimoto 1984 April, enrolls to new Japanese professional wrestling. It retired in 2000 April, but receiving the suit of the fan, it returns. November of the same year, new group "ZERO - establishing ONE," it became independent. After that, it had become free.

(2005 July 11th 14:32 Yomiuri Shimbun Company)

This is the translation of the Japanese report.

:(

Im sure this will lead to a respectful memorial show of some kind in Japan. Im not at all familiar with Puro except for a few workers...Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, Tsuruta, Mutoh, and Hashimoto. These are guys that Ive respected for as long as Ive known at least something about high-quality wrestling throughout the world.

I dont think the shock of wrestlers dying young will ever fade for me.

To say this royally sucks is an understatement. This man was one of the lynchpins of NJPW during it's great run in the early-mid 90's. His feud with Naoya Ogawa drew some of the most heat I've ever seen for pro wrestling. When I read on Meltz's site that a Japanese legend passed away, I too was expecting a lesser known. This is a huge shock to me and other fans of Hashimoto's work.

I'm really at a loss for other words, so if I find them, I'll chime back in here.

Just some memories that have come to my head since hearing the news...

-G-1 Climax 1996 match vs. Riki Choshu. This has to be one of the best matches ever with the simplest of movesets used. This match set the tone for Choshu's run because Shinya put him over so well. If you were going to show someone an example of Shinya's "fighting spirit", this would have to rank at the top.

-G-1 Climax 1995 Finals vs. Keiji Muto. Just an awesome finals. Hash and Muto really bring their A games. 2 of the 3 muskateers just bringin it.

-4/96 Tokyo Dome show vs Nobuhiko Takada. Shinya showing he can work with a more shoot type pro style.

-almost any match he had with Genichiro Tenryu, especially their 1998 G-1 Climax match. Just sickening chops and punches back and forth. I distinctly remember a match from a 1993 comp where they just absolutely murdered each other.

- His work with Naoya Ogawa. Talk about making a star. Naoya Ogawa is awful in the ring and Hash made him look like a Japanese Goldberg. I'll never forget their match where Hash put his career on the line vs. Ogawa and Ogawa hitting him with a ton of STO's, but out of pure anger and fury, Hash keeps getting up and just yelling for Ogawa to bring it. After Hash loses, I remember some crowd shots of some people openly weeping. That's fuckin emotion right there.

For now, all I can say is RIP, Hash, and thank you for providing me with some of the most memorable wrestling moments ever.

Shit, Hashimoto's dead. That really fucking sucks, DVDR is probably verging on suicide and I can't blame them. I didn't watch much puro but this is some really shitty news.

Guest BrokenWings

Samoa Joe posted some kind, insightful words last night which I believe should be shared here. Rest in Peace, Hash.

Arigato Hakaio.

Yet another.

I won't mince words and say that in my recent days that I have been fan of things that have occurred when the name Shinya Hasimoto is mentioned, but I always have respected the man.

When the news of Hashimoto's passing reached me through several phonecalls through out the night, I found myself moved far more than even I would have expected. As of right now I am typing this entry from a hotel lobby in rural Weatherford Oklahoma broken down during a cross country drive taking myself and helping move my significant other back to California.

I sat in the parking lot last night and for the 1st time in a long time I thought back to my days with ZERO ONE and all of my experiences with Hashimoto. When I took the time to really recall these moments I realized what a dramatic impact he had made in my life and my career.

When I 1st started in Japan my knowledge of Hashimoto was limited albeit somewhat educated. It was only when I began to wrestle across the ring from the man that I truly realized what it meant to be a star. Hashimotos ambiance did not lie in a flashy gimmickry, trend setting re-invention or the intangible coolness, of his musketeer brethren. Hashimoto had foregone the pomp and circumstance of wrestling and simply sought to be the embodiment of an ideal. The ideal that was the founding principle of the dojo that produced him which was derived from the centuries old warrior customs of his culture. Hashimoto embodied Toukon, The Fighting Spirit.

Once at a preliminary training session, Hashimoto had quizzed a group of relatively clueless gaijin about the most important aspect of Professional Wrestling. Answers sprung forth pleading a case for "Technique" and "Psychology", but Hashimoto simply pointed at his eyes and said "The Fire". The fire, the burning spirit, the unyielding will, even in the face of insurmountable challenges. With a simple gesture and the most intense stare I had ever seen I understood all these things that I have just listed and nodded in compliance.

Hashimoto's popularity was no accident as he represented the very essence of the much vaunted Samurais of old. He was a single ideal, by any means necessary, no questions asked, decisiveness personified. Enter the ring and destroy the opposition that is in front of you. Hakaio.

In his simplicity you could find his brilliance and the basis for his astounding charisma.

Outside of the ring Hashimoto was the polar opposite. Kind, gentle, and always ready to crack a joke or hear one, he enjoyed life and was always easy to smile. If you had never seen him in the ring you would guess him to be a late night variety talk show host complete with staged breakfalls and wacky accenting sound effects to enhance his often jovial demeanor. In my time spent in Japan with Hashimoto he was also generous. I remember one night I was sulking around the ZERO ONE offices harrassing boss Nakamura to hurry up and finish working so we could go out drinking and watching Samurai TV. Hashimoto came in to do some late night work in his office and he was astounded to find me sitting in the office bullpen pitching in and counting out tickets just to pass the time. He tried to express his gratitude as best he could in his limited english but I assured him that it was ok and I was more than happy to oblige.

The next week Hashimoto had caught wind that I was going out on a date. Remembering my very mild efforts the week before, he assigned his car and driver to me and paid for my evening in full. It was a gesture often unheard of in most workplaces but it is a gesture that will always be endeared to me. Also his words before I started my night

"Joe-san, tonight no fire in eyes, Tonight eyes clear. I teach you too much".

I nodded in agreement and made my way to the door. As I approached the office bullpen packed to the brim with busy employees his voice stopped me again

"Joe-SAN!"

Hai Hashimoto-san!" I replied

"If tonight you feel fire in your pants, please go to hospital!"

The office erupted in delayed laughter as the english speaking employees quickly explained to the others in between gasping chuckles. I turned around and faced the red visaged hysterical Hashimoto and bowed deeply

HAI HASHIMOTO-SAMA! Mochiron!

God bless you Hashi, Find happiness.

S. Joe

Guest Frank_Nabbit

VADER VS. SHINYA HASHIMOTO

Vader didn't put Hashimoto in the same category as the other Musketeers (Muto and Chono) as he felt his workrate and attitude sucked. "I never was impressed with Hashimoto, he smoked cigarettes, he was generally out of shape, and he generally got tired." Onto the match, in late 1989, a typically stiff Big Van Vader upped the notch even more than usual, resulting in Hashimoto vomiting at the end of the match.

Real Winner: Vader

From Steve Corinos LiveJournal....

I really don't even know where to begin. Maybe it is the jet lag that is hitting me or just the shock of the news, but numb is the best way I can describe myself right now.

As most of you heard already, and thank you to the people that emailed me about it, my former boss and friend Shinya Hashimoto passed away yesterday just 8 days after turning 40.

I haven't seen Hashi since the split of ZERO-ONE in November and at the time there was a lot of heat between him and the wrestlers but I can only think of the good things that Hashimoto did for me and my career.

If it wasn't for Hashimoto (and Yoshi Nakamura) Steve Corino would have been out of this sport four years ago. I was ready to leave in October of 2001 because I had no more goals left but after the NWA World title change, he offered me a full time job with ZERO-ONE and used me on every tour.

Hashimoto came into the PWF in 2001 for next to nothing because he wanted to help our little company out. He didn't have to do that.

Him and Nakamura sent Masato Tanaka, Kohei Sato, and Yoshihito Sasaki to WORLD-1 for nothing. They paid them. He wanted to help.

He brought my son over to Japan four times to be with me because he knew the schedule was getting to me and he knew how much I hated to be away from him.

Like in the States, if there was no Paul Heyman there would be no Steve Corino and Japan is no different. If there was no Shinya Hashimoto, there would have been no Steve Corino in Japan.

My prayers go out to his children. Remember your dad for the good things he did.

Goodbye my friend and God Bless You.