TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Weekend Box Office Report

Guest Smues

March of the Penguins even managing to crack the top 10 makes me happy, as I can't imagine the budget being very high for it.

For those of you who are fans of MST3K like I am, check this out; the director of "Parts: The Clonus Horror" is sueing

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/movi...landripoff.html

I fall somewhere in between on Scarlett. I know who she is, seen her in stuff, but don't really care a whole lot. She's ok, but hasn't done anything that any dozen others couldn't do.

Doesn't shock me that The Island tanked. No one in the movie has ever had to carry something at the box office, and for that matter Bay has also never had to open a film without Bruckheimer's name.

I have to admit Wedding Crashers making 26 million on its 2nd week is surprising, I figured it'd go down to about 16 million or so.

Glad to see The Devil's Rejects bring in $7 million, especially with all the hate from people that were expecting it to just be another House of 1,000 Corpses (when it was oh so much better). I guarantee you that it'll sell like hotcakes when it comes out on DVD.

I first heard of Scarlett when my communications professor showed us American Rhapsody back in '02. As for LiT being a "hit", I never heard of LiT until the '03 Oscar nominations (in early '04), and of course it got the post-nomination boost in publicity/popularity, but I don't believe it was a big hit when it originally came out in theaters.

I'd also have to agree with Y2J's point about LiT's actor buzz centering around Bill Murray, not Scarlett

28m.jpg

She's been nominated three times for a best actress Golden Globe.

I think she a pretty damn fine actress, at least in Ghost World, LiT, Girl w/ a Pearl Earring, and the Man Who Wasn't There.

But it's not supposed to be a stupid 'black' movie or anything like that. It sounds like they went out and actually made a good movie that could launch a guy's career.

Where in any of my posts did I say anything about "Hustle and Flow" being "black" movie? I know it's about the rise of a pimp from street hustler to rap artist. However, from what I've seen in the previews, it doesn't look that good. I'm not feeling it. I had the same feelings about 8 Mile. I ended up seeing 8 Mile on cable and while it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, I was glad I didn't see it in a theatre. Perhaps the same thing happens with this movie, but it doesn't mean I can't wish bad things upon it.

Not sure where the "black" movie comment comes from since I never mentioned it. I just think it looks like a "bad" movie, not a "black" movie.

But it's not supposed to be a stupid 'black' movie or anything like that. It sounds like they went out and actually made a good movie that could launch a guy's career.

Where in any of my posts did I say anything about "Hustle and Flow" being "black" movie? I know it's about the rise of a pimp from street hustler to rap artist. However, from what I've seen in the previews, it doesn't look that good. I'm not feeling it. I had the same feelings about 8 Mile. I ended up seeing 8 Mile on cable and while it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, I was glad I didn't see it in a theatre. Perhaps the same thing happens with this movie, but it doesn't mean I can't wish bad things upon it.

Not sure where the "black" movie comment comes from since I never mentioned it. I just think it looks like a "bad" movie, not a "black" movie.

I saw it yesterday, and it was ok. Damn good acting from Howard, this shits all over 8 Mile because 8 Mile didn't really have any direction compared to this movie.

Guest fanofcoils

I know who Scarlett Johansson is and I believe she hasn't had any big mainstream roles other than the Horse Whisperer which made 75 million according to boxofficemojo.com, but that was one role awhile ago and a lot of people might not remember her name from that one role. I think if they see her in more big mainstream roles then they would know who she is. Lost in Translation made 45 million, I don't consider that enough money for the majority or vast majority of filmgoers to have seen the movie. I'm not surprised at all when some filmgoers hear about Scarlett Johansson and they say "who?". Scarlett hasn't had that much success in the box office, therefore I wouldn't say "most people know Scarlett's name".

Guest seth86

Well i think most ppl have seen Lost in Translation. At least on DVD. Just because she hasn't had much success at the boxoffice doesn't mean she's not well known.

Well i think most ppl have seen Lost in Translation. At least on DVD.

At the risk of starting a new argument, allow me to point out something independent of the Johannsen business.

If you take the number of people who rent movies in a given week ($117 million in rentals divided by $4) and add them to the number of people who see movies at the theater (about $125 million in box office divided by $6), then divide that by the total number of people living in the United States (about 290 million), you wouldn't get a figure much higher than 50 million people. That's only 18% of the total population. Even if you're not assuming that its the same people rent movies and go to the theaters week after week, that's a pretty small chunk of the total population.

There's mathematically no way most people have seen that, or possibly any other movie released in the last 2 years. The American movie-watching population just isn't that big.

Guest Vitamin X

Sure put a lot of effort into that.

Anyways, go March of the Penguins for cracking the top 10!

Guest El Satanico
Same thing with Stealth liked it the first time when it was 2001

What?

You're grasping at straws with that comparison. Those two movies are in completely seperate universes. Both have computers that have out evolved humans, but that's all they have in common.

Same thing with Stealth liked it the first time when it was 2001

What?

You're grasping at straws with that comparison. Those two movies are in completely seperate universes. Both have computers that have out evolved humans, but that's all they have in common.

Yeah, Terminator and the Matrix also fit into that category.

I think evil computers trying to kill humans is a legitimate sci-fi subgenre now.

For those of you who are fans of MST3K like I am, check this out; the director of "Parts: The Clonus Horror" is sueing

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/movi...landripoff.html

I read this the other day. And I laughed my ass off because everytime I saw a trailer for the Island I immediantly thought "Oh great it's Parts: The Clonus Island"

I thought the exact same thing. I though Clonus was actually decent on it's won. I hope that guy wins.

Ebert gave it 3 stars, if that means anything.

I wanted to see it too. I thought the blonde chick was hot. Anybody know who she is? :D

And then there's this: (some of my random thoughts)

-Y2Jerk, do you follow Hollywood, the film industry, or keep up with the entertainment industry as a whole? If so, I don't see how you couldn't know who she is, since she's been talked about a LOT in magazines, on TV shows, and on and on. If you don't follow the film industry or anything, then I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't know her by name.

-Hustle & Flow is a fantastic grade A film. Trust me, all of you should check this one out. This is not just another film like 8 Mile (I did like that one a little bit though), it's way more than anything like that. This isa film that should watch it with a theater full of other people.

This film also made me appreciate that genre of music more than ever as an art form. I've never totally been against it, but this film did help open my eyes quite a bit. I will not be so quick to simply dismiss this type of music anymore.

Back to the film for a second:

The performances in this one were great, top to bottom. After seeing the fantastic performance of Anthony Anderson on The Shield, I specifically had my eye on him throughout this film, and once again he impressed me. If that guy can get hold of some more roles that really push him as an actor, I see him having a very bright future.

-I want to see MotP, but the closest theater it's playing on for me is an hour away.