TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Smackdown plans for Summerslam

After the DQ finish at Great American Bash, I've got an awful premonition that JBL's going to be main eventing Summerslam on the Smackdown side. No, not in a triple threat match with Taker involved. One-on-one with Batista.

I mean, obviously the plan for the title match was Batista vs. Hassan, and they had to change it. So why are they protecting JBL? Is it because he adds to a Taker/Batista match? No. Is it because he was planned to face Undertaker before? No. It's because they aren't going to put Taker into the main event and they need him to fill it out.

Obviously, they think that Orton/Taker is the match that's going to sell the PPV, and they want to leave it as a singles match. They apparently think that the heatless wonder Bradshaw can be thrown into another PPV main event, even though the fans see him as a midcarder after main eventing 11 PPVs in a row!

I really think this might be the death knell for Smackdown after the draft gave it a little glimmer of hope. I mean is anyone going to sit through the JBL/Batista feud for another month? Anybody? I saw ten minutes of it on Smackdown and they had so little chemistry, I didn't think they should have a mini-feud on Smackdown, let alone main event back-to-back PPVs. I really think that they could fall to 2000 WCW ratings levels here.

Guest Rrrsh

If SD had time to blow off JBL-Batista like they would if they had a PPV gap liek RAW has right now, then I would hop ethe would find somethign better.

Sadly, Batista-JBL agian and the fued has ZERO content to it.

I myself am wondering what the hell the Smackdown undercard is going to be. There is no point to continuing Guerrero/Mysterio at this point, Benoit isn't U.S. champion and its doubtful they know what to do with the likes of Jordan, Christian, Regal, and Booker at his point.

As far as the undercard goes, they'll probably do something like have Benoit and Booker face the Mexicools in the opener, and then leave the rest of them off the card. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get to see Christian get squashed by Brock Lesnar.

Still though, the title match is the gaping hole.

I hope everyone that bitched about Hassan is happy. Sure, you get Hassan out of the ME at Summer Slam, but you also eliminate the potential JBL/Benoit feud and get another month of boring JBL/Batista. Every single person that bitched for Hassan to be taken off the air should be tied up and forced to watch every SD until Summer Slam on loop.

I've never seen one show turn a company (or brand in this case) on a huge upswing into a complete and total mess with little hope for the future like GAB 2005.

Guest Y2DAYDAY

For the Smackdown side, here are the possibilities:

JBl vs Batista World Title with some kind of gimmick-Logic would be JBL vs Batista needs to be resolved then Taker gets his shot later

Orton vs Taker-Hell, make this #1 contender, Orton and Batista go over and they are back where they wanted to be for the fall with the Orton vs Batista World Title program

Guerrero vs Mysterio-maybe a gimmick but not if the title match has one

OJ vs Benoit vs Christian vs Booker T US TITLE Fatal 4 way

Only Major acts, meaning over acts that are on TV every week, from Smackdown left off of the show would be Mexicools and MNM.

Or a 4 way on top with Batista(champ) vs Taker(#1 contender) vs JBL(non-decisive finish in last title match) vs Orton(heat with Batista and Taker and gets added)

That still leaves Guerrero vs Mysterio in a gimmick match but allows for at least 2 more undercard matches.

If they do the 4 way, this shit writes itself. Batista goes over, beating JBL, blowing off that program. Taker and Orton go back into their program, Eddie ends with Rey and moves on to Batista, and JBL drops down from the main event.

The October Smackdown show would look like:

Batista vs Eddie World Title

Taker vs Orton

JBL vs Benoit

as the top 3 matches and you still have Rey, MNM, Mexicools, Christian, Booker T, etc. to fill out the card. Hell, I forgot about Lesnar. He will be back by then. If a face, he works JBL. If a heel, he works Benoit.

The 4 way is the way to go for Summerslam and the ideas are endless for what they can do after Summerslam.

BTW, the above isn't fantasy booking, just speculation based on current direction.

Actually, given that Taker is the #1 contender right now, I'd think they'd just give him a title match against Batista on Smackdown either this week or next week. Then Orton can screw him out of the title to restart their feud, while Batista takes on JBL.

I do think Batista/Orton is something they're trying to get to for No Mercy, but I just don't think Smackdown can survive another month of Batista vs. JBL.

I didn't even think of that (well I did..) but I never thought of the fact that they didn't say the winner of the match would get a shot at Summerslam. They just said a shot.

Actually, given that Taker is the #1 contender right now, I'd think they'd just give him a title match against Batista on Smackdown either this week or next week. Then Orton can screw him out of the title to restart their feud, while Batista takes on JBL.

I do think Batista/Orton is something they're trying to get to for No Mercy, but I just don't think Smackdown can survive another month of Batista vs. JBL.

They just don't interact that well, ring or mic wise. JBL is spouting off the same "wrestling god" stuff he's done with half of his feuds and Batista's best excuse for hating JBL is that he is "a loudmouth and a bully", which isn't exactly convincing from a guy who a year earlier was taking part in 3 on 1 beatdowns with two guys who were just as if not bigger loudmouths than Bradshaw.

Hell even Cena-JBL had a clear rich man-common man theme that was easy to get into. This has nothing.

I don't know why I'm supposed to care about this feud and evidently they're not good in the ring together thus I have little interest watching it.

Guest Brian
I hope everyone that bitched about Hassan is happy. Sure, you get Hassan out of the ME at Summer Slam, but you also eliminate the potential JBL/Benoit feud and get another month of boring JBL/Batista. Every single person that bitched for Hassan to be taken off the air should be tied up and forced to watch every SD until Summer Slam on loop.

I've never seen one show turn a company (or brand in this case) on a huge upswing into a complete and total mess with little hope for the future like GAB 2005.

You know, I've been pretty restraint so far, but it needs to be said. Fuck the WWE. Fuck 'em. They dug their grave, they made their bed. So they can fucking lie in it. They knew the consequences of their actions. Like I said before, they make a lot of stupid, stupid decisions and for no reason do they deserve people watching their shows, let alone loyal viewer like many of us around here.

I assume that this whole Hassan deal will probobly speed along negotiations with Brock Lesnar, in order to have him back right after Summerslam. I imagine Undertaker vs Batista will happen on Smackdown in the next week or two and have run ins from Orton and JBL. This would leave

JBL vs Batista at Summerslam, Steel Cage perhaps?

Undertaker vs Orton

Booker T vs Christian vs OJ vs Benoit for the US Belt

MNM vs bWo for the tag belts (Assuming MNM wins the belts back on TV in the next week or two which I'm sure they will)

Eddie vs Rey again?

One of the Mexicools vs Paul London?

Guest Brian

I mean, you know what else they did? They jobbed out MNM and Benoit. For what? This is a company full of stupid decision makers and they deserve whatever they get, especially if they know the consequences that come with som decisions.

It would be even stupider for them to show UT and Batista on free TV, but I wouldn't put it past them.

I assume that this whole Hassan deal will probobly speed along negotiations with Brock Lesnar, in order to have him back right after Summerslam. I imagine Undertaker vs Batista will happen on Smackdown in the next week or two and have run ins from Orton and JBL. This would leave

JBL vs Batista at Summerslam, Steel Cage perhaps?

Undertaker vs Orton

Booker T vs Christian vs OJ vs Benoit for the US Belt

MNM vs bWo for the tag belts (Assuming MNM wins the belts back on TV in the next week or two which I'm sure they will)

Eddie vs Rey again?

One of the Mexicools vs Paul London?

One could easily put in Juvi against London and stick the other two Mexicools in the tag match to make it a three way. At the very least it would provide a decent spot fest (that is if its Nova/Stevie as the bWo team).

Guest seth86

Christian needs to win the US title and hold on to it for the rest of the year. He can look like a top player and challenge for the World title after that. Hell they can even give Rey Mysterio the title. He's had a huge push so far. Anyone but that damn Orlando Jordan whose never had a proper feud in his career.

Guest Ransome

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain I heard Cole stipulate that Undertaker's #1 contendership was effective for a match at Summerslam. Maybe I misheard, but at this stage I believe we'll see at least Batista vs Undertaker for the title at SS, with perhaps a third man thrown in. I can see JBL invoking the obvious 'He didn't beat me' defence leading to Teddy Long (who is, btw, an extremely weak GM character) inserting him into the SS main event.

I don't know why people are so certain that Undertaker vs Orton will take place at Summerslam. That might have been a plan prior to the apparent rebooking of the Hassan angle, but right now it just doesn't seem likely to happen within four weeks.

Where's all the JBL love now? Now that he doesn't have opponents like Eddie Guerrero or gimmick matches to cover up for the fact that he's no better than he was when he was part of the A.P.A jobbing to the likes of Test & Albert...

^ He's plenty better.

I still think they can pull off Taker/Batista and Benoit/JBL as I said in the GAB Thread. They'll get an interesting title match, albeit face vs. face, plus JBL/Benoit is the natural progression after Jordan's cheap win at GAB.

it may be face vs. face, but UT will get most of the face reaction and that could be damaging to Batista...I think it's too soon...

Not if you...

1. Have Taker do a few heelish things to Batista, not that Batista is a Hogan-esque face, but Taker needs something for the D.C. crowd to boo him.

2. Build up the D.C. crowd as Batista's hometown to the national audience.

3. Don't book Batista as an underdog going into this match.

4. Have Taker shake his hand after Batista wins, which re-affirms Taker as a face.

Other little things, such as have Taker have a small entrance, then follow with Batista's entrance, won't exhaust the crowd like the hoopla the normal Taker entrance gets.

I dunno man...anymore, Taker seems to be the along the lines of Triple H when it comes to making a heel/face turn...there's almost nothing either guy can do because the crowd just doesn't buy them any other way...now maybe if he beat up Dave's children or something...

JBL > Hassan

No way in Hell you can convince me fucking Hassan of all people deserved a title shot at SUMMERSLAM!

I'm pretty positive that would have been the end of the Hassan gimmick anyway...having the evil foreigner lose in that nation's capital to the hometown boy...UPN just hurried things up a tad for Vince...

Guest wildpegasus

You know, I've been pretty restraint so far, but it needs to be said. Fuck the WWE. Fuck 'em. They dug their grave, they made their bed. So they can fucking lie in it. They knew the consequences of their actions. Like I said before, they make a lot of stupid, stupid decisions and for no reason do they deserve people watching their shows, let alone loyal viewer like many of us around here.

Seconded. I left the PPV 1hr in last night in complete disgustment.

I literally turned the PPV off after the Benoit/Jordan match. I told my friend Ian (who came over for the show) "Just go home, I am not watching this anymore." Of course everyone else demanded I turn it back on...

Here's the bottom line: Neither JBL or Hassan is worth a shit. Neither guy should remotely be main eventing. The one guy on SMDN who SHOULD be main eventing is in the never ending cycle of jobbing to Rey. I know Rey is Eddie's buddy but I wonder if Eddie realizes his pal's booking of this angle is flat out killing his career.

And for the last time, Bradshaw isn't any better. If you gave him 20 mins in 1998 he would have had the same shit match he had last night, but back then the idea of giving Bradshaw 20 mins was rightfully considered insane. The man simply cannot wrestle. If you note whenever the APA did a violent brawl type match it was ok, but when they did regular wrestling they, you know, sucked.

Last night's GAB was eerily similar to the 1999 GAB for WCW. It had it all: No talent wrestlers going over talented stars, bizarre and out of nowhere sports entertainment moments, a mystery angle with zero payoff, and a lame DQ in the main event.

JBL is not and will never be main event material, I know that, 93% of wrestling fans know that but Vince and WWE management don't realize that their little experiment with Bradshaw is literally driving the fans away. For crying out loud the guy's been getting X-Pac heat since he became the WWE champion, his "amazing mic skills" consist of him saying Wrestling God constantly and his in-ring skills are nonexistent.

Oh God, I know...hell I got into it big time with Kahran and MikeSC in the RVD thread in regards to "Why isn't RVD a main event caliber guy when fucking BRADSHAW is?"

There's a really weird and disturbing trend going on here. It seems like they are now trying to push people with little rhyme or reason. Say what you want about RVD, but at least his 2001 push was justified by 1. Crowd response and 2. Entertaining hardcore matches. Oh and he won a lot.

Why was JBL pushed storywise to begin with? Because he threatened a few illegal Mexicans? Why is Jericho in a title match? He hasn't won a match in like 3 years and was just jobbed out of the IC title scene post WM. This is the problem with having idiot soap opera writers, they have no concept that "He who gets a title push has to WIN enough to deserve said push." Why were they going to push Hassan? He hadn't done shit to deserve a #1 contender match, and in fact had just been squashed by Cena before leaving Raw.

Oh God, I know...hell I got into it big time with Kahran and MikeSC in the RVD thread in regards to "Why isn't RVD a main event caliber guy when fucking BRADSHAW is?"

Because Bradshaw is better than RVD is. Seriously. If you are going to complain that JBL doesn't belong in the main events, use someone like Chris Benoit or Shelton Benjamin as an example, two of the best wrestlers on the roster. I'm not about to pretend that JBL is a better wrestler than those guys, although I happen to find him entertaining. But you picked RVD, who isn't much better than the likes of Carlito & Chris Masters. In many ways, he's even worse, because at least those two can talk (especially Carlito). There is no upside to an RVD push other than that he is over. He can't wrestle, he can't talk, he's injury-prone, and he causes problems backstage. If it wasn't for his devoted fanbase he would have been bounced long ago.

As for wrestling, or brawling since neither guy is a good wrestler, JBL's I Quit match with Cena is better than any match RVD's ever had and he was able to keep up with Kurt Angle and Eddy Guerrero a lot better than RVD ever did. JBL isn't a fantastic wrestler by any stretch, but like I said, compared to RVD he's the second coming of Stan Hansen.

There's a really weird and disturbing trend going on here. It seems like they are now trying to push people with little rhyme or reason. Say what you want about RVD, but at least his 2001 push was justified by 1. Crowd response and 2. Entertaining hardcore matches. Oh and he won a lot.

The only good match RVD had in 2001 was his match with Jericho at Unforgiven. Everything else is extremely overrated. The Summerslam match with Jeff Hardy in particular is awful. As far as ladder matches go, even Jeff/Taker was better.

Why was JBL pushed storywise to begin with? Because he threatened a few illegal Mexicans? Why is Jericho in a title match? He hasn't won a match in like 3 years and was just jobbed out of the IC title scene post WM. This is the problem with having idiot soap opera writers, they have no concept that "He who gets a title push has to WIN enough to deserve said push." Why were they going to push Hassan? He hadn't done shit to deserve a #1 contender match, and in fact had just been squashed by Cena before leaving Raw.

JBL's initial push is a little dodgy I agree, but he got it by impressing GM Kurt Angle enough that he was able to 'win' the Great American Award, which came with a shot at the title. He won the first match by DQ, so he got a rematch where he won the title. Since then he's beaten practically everybody that was on Smackdown except for Cena, and his latest title shots were won in multi-man elimination matches. Except for the first, his title shots are completely legit, unlike HHH's or Jericho's current one.

Guest seth86
As for wrestling, or brawling since neither guy is a good wrestler, JBL's I Quit match with Cena is better than any match RVD's ever had and he was able to keep up with Kurt Angle and Eddy Guerrero a lot better than RVD ever did. JBL isn't a fantastic wrestler by any stretch, but like I said, compared to RVD he's the second coming of Stan Hansen.

U really can't say that JBL is a better wrestler than RVD. I agree that he is an overrated wrestler but JBL just plain sucks. He had a whole year to step his game up and he didn't. After looking at the last year I dont know how Vince justifies pushing this guy. I agree he's pretty good on the mic but his wrestling god line is getting old. RVD is decent on the mic too.

If they wanted to they could still go with Hassan/Batista, just have it noted on Smackdown that Hassan has filed a lawsuit against Teddy Long and Smackdown for the Undertaker's actions, which forces Taker to get his title shot on Smackdown and Hassan is given a title shot to prevent a lawsuit. Hassan doesn't even have to be on camera for any of it.