TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Official NHL Offseason Thread

Paval Datsyuk has signed to a Russian club for the year. Knowing Detroit, they'll be able to find a young gun and turn him into a 30 goal scorer.

I was just looking at the H2H Yahoo league, and we have a problem right now -- there are an odd number of teams, which means we won't be able to conduct the draft if it isn't fixed before Thursday. You have to have an even number of teams to run a head-to-head league.

Anyone else interesting in signing up? If not, I'm going to unregister.

I was just looking at the H2H Yahoo league, and we have a problem right now -- there are an odd number of teams, which means we won't be able to conduct the draft if it isn't fixed before Thursday.  You have to have an even number of teams to run a head-to-head league.

Anyone else interesting in signing up?  If not, I'm going to unregister.

if you guys need someone I could sign up and play. Hockey's not my best sport when it comes to player knowledge, but I follow it enough to do an average draft and I'm decent at fantasy leagues in general. Lemme know via pm or message and I can sign up at about 6 this evening.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135574

Vincent Damphousse set to announce his retirement. Not a bad career for him, he just couldn't seem to find any work.

He did win a cup, and represent Hogtown in an All Star Game.

I'll remember him most as a natural leader of an up and coming Sharks team, tho.

I'll probably remember him most for his role on the 1992-93 Canadiens. He was absolutely brilliant for them in the postseason.

Debate: Is Vinnie Damphousse a Hall of Famer? He is 38th all time in points, but never cracked 100 in a season. He was never the best player on his team. He was never the best player in the league. It's an interesting thought.

EDIT:

I'm playing with the Keltner list, which is primarily used for baseball usually, but I'm a bored man tonight.

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in baseball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in hockey? Probably not. He was a very good role player and seemingly enjoyed the postseason.

2. Was he the best player on his team? The argument could be made that for most of his five seasons with the Leafs and his one season with the Oilers that he was the best on his team. Once he went to Montreal, there was some guy named Patrick Roy. Once he hit the Sharks, they had Nolan and Selanne.

3. Was he the best player in at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position? No on both counts. The best center in the league was some guy named Wayne Gretzky and the best wing in the league was between a number of guys.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races? Yes. He played an integral part in the Montreal Canadiens run in 1992-93. He helped the Sharks upset the Blues in the first round of the 1999-00 playoffs the year the Blues won the Presidents Trophy.

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime? Damphousse will be retiring at the age of 37. He has been a force for the Sharks for the last six seasons.

6. Is he the very best player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame? No. I think Dino Ciccarelli is better (and that's off the top of my head)

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame? I think so.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards? Damphousse ranks 38th all time in total points.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics? Outside of the 2000-01 season, Damphousse was pretty much free of injuries.

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame? No. Pierre Turgeon has better numbers.

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close? Never won an MVP outside of the 1990-91 All-Star game MVP.

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame? He was an All-Star four times, injured for one game and was replaced. Pierre Turgeon has also been selected to four All-Star teams.

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant? No. Damphousse excelled as a second line player.

14. What impact did the player have on history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way? Not really, no.

15. Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider? As far as I know.

Too many question marks for Damphousse. I don't think he'll make it.

Debate: Is Vinnie Damphousse a Hall of Famer? He is 38th all time in points, but never cracked 100 in a season. He was never the best player on his team. He was never the best player in the league. It's an interesting thought.

I was actually thinking about that when I was looking at his profile on nhl.com. I would have to say no because if you let him in, you pretty much have to let every point per game player in. He never did anything breath taking, he just had a solid career.

I was actually thinking about that when I was looking at his profile on nhl.com. I would have to say no because if you let him in, you pretty much have to let every point per game player in. He never did anything breath taking, he just had a solid career.

But they let in Lafontaine, so now they have to let in guys like Damphousse/Turgeon etc.

Guest Rrrsh

To Rant or JWP (or anyone else)

Yahoo Fantasy TSM H2H League

Legaue ID: 6340

Password: tsm

Damphousse was a very good player, but elite enough to be a HOFer? I don't think so.

I saw that the draft is tomorrow at 9. I might be in class tomorrow during then, but if we get out early (which we should, considering its first day and all), I should be there

But they let in Lafontaine, so now they have to let in guys like Damphousse/Turgeon etc.

Lafontaine had way better stats, lets compare the two.

Damphousse GP - 1378 G - 432 A - 773 PTS - 1205

Lafontaine GP - 865 G - 468 A - 545 PTS - 1013

Damphousse played over 500 more games but only had just over 200 more points. Lafontaine also had 148 points in 92-93. The only people to have more points then that in a season are Gretzky, Lemieux and Yzerman I believe.

Turgeon will probably go in because he will have more then 500 career goals after this season and he above a point a game player, had a 50 goal season and two hundred point seasons. Damphousse has no 50 goal or hundred point seasons.

Damphousse is one of those very-good-but-not-great players that would need to have a very long, very productive career to make the Hall of Fame, à la Rafael Palmeiro in baseball. I don't think he measures up.

So, who would crack the "Hall of Guys that weren't good enough, but were good enough we shouldn't forget them" ?

The guy who thinks the names for these things is on vacation.

The Score is saying Mariusz Czerkawski has signed with the Leafs. I didn't realise the Polish Prince had 24-25-49 last year.

Ponikarovksy has also re-signed. Hard to believe he's only been around for one full season.

Henrik Zetteberg signed with the Wings for 4 years 2.5 million.

Czerkawski is gonna play on a line with Hoglund and some other European. The line thats never there.

I withdrew from the H2H league. Just found out I'm going to need to look for another job if I want to avoid spending 2 1/2 hours on a bus every day...I barely have enough time to maintain my own league now.

Two more players retired today.

Al McInnis of the St. Louis Blues announced his retirement from 22 seasons with the Flames and Blues and James Patrick of the Buffalo Sabres who played 21 seasons (I didn't know he played for so long) with Hartford, Calgary, Buffalo and New York Rangers.

Henrik Zetteberg signed with the Wings for 4 years 2.5 million.

Czerkawski is gonna play on a line with Hoglund and some other European. The line thats never there.

Thankfully, Hoglund isn't on the Leafs anymore. Didn't play for them last season, either.

I've had some account problems with yahoo lately and when I went on to start draftin', I discovered that my account was deleted/suspended and I was no longer a part of said leagues.

So, blame yahoo. Fuck 'em up their stupid asses.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=135692

So, apparently MOC has decided that Zhamnov, Leetch and Mrs. Gill are more important than two building blocks in Boynton and Razor since he hasn't given either one of them decent qualifying offers.

Boy, I love MOC and his poor management skills. The guy couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag.

How exactly would one manage their way out of a paper bag?

I once pondered the same thing aloud during a seminar about rap in a Grade 11 media class.

Also, Macinnis is set to retire.

Since when did he have seven, yes, seven 20 goal seasons?!

And 103 points for christ's sake in 90-91!