TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

I don't get the appeal of Palin either. (And I'm, like, one of three guys in this whole folder who actually doesn't mind the idea of invading and occupying third-world dictatorships.) I've seen a long laundry list of stuff to dislike about her, from standard politician lies to archconservative social beliefs. But the only good thing her record suggests is that she's not one of those types who is addicted to the status quo, and she's not afraid to make enemies and cause havoc if she thinks that something really needs to be done. But then you get into the issue of what exactly it is that she wants done, and my interest wanes again.

The secessionist husband (who some people try and call "off limits") blows my mind.

I mean, "the people in Alaska knew of it and still voted them first family" doesn't cut it, because Alaska is so insular that even the newspapers refer to the rest of the country as Outside (and a popular bumper sticker is "We don't give a damn how they do it Outside.")

The whole taxes/expenditures thing is pretty much a moot issue because that state is just swimming in cash, and the places she does try to flaunt her conservative credentials she's flat out lying (bridge, chef, etc.) Most Alaskans approve of her getting rid of that plane, but it wasn't just the governor's plane, it was a prisoner transport plane to somewhere Outside because the state's prisons are full.

I'm convinced that Alaskans are like Californians but completely rural and with an even bigger superiority complex.

You know Jingus, all the time it took to make that post telling people why you don't vote could have been put toward not making excuses.

And JOTW, how the right wing uses the term, "gotcha" does indeed mean "holding me accountable." Kinda like you and I's "stupid fucking tax cuts for the rich" is called "supply side economics."

But the only good thing her record suggests is that she's not one of those types who is addicted to the status quo, and she's not afraid to make enemies and cause havoc if she thinks that something really needs to be done.

One of the top reasons George Bush was elected.

I'm guessing that if someone called Sarah Palin an "empty skirt", they would be denounced as sexist by the same people who have been calling Obama an "empty suit" this whole election cycle.

People have been saying Palin isn't qualified since the morning she was picked, but if you want to compare the bottom of the GOP ticket to the top of the Dem ticket, I say keep it up.

The term doesn't mean lack of qualifications, it means lack of substance. You're essentially saying someone has no ideas of their own.

Actually, sorry, I mis read what you said when I responded. Yeah, I know what Empty Suit means and I think Obama fits the bill. If you want to call Palin that yourself, go right ahead. I got no issues with it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it usually requires some evidence to show for its credibility. So, if you'd like to make a case, go right ahead, please.

Dude, you're asking for proof that he thinks Obama is a bad politician? What?

People tend to make opinions of people. Let him have his. Chances are, before Bush got into office you thought he was bad then, too.

Yeah. Isn't this what this thread is mostly about? Just like how I ask you to back statements up like this:

I mean, realistically, the GOP has as many sexists who are turned off by a woman on the ticket as people who will vote just because there's a woman on the ticket. It all balances itself out.

Palin's bump is by Jeezus freaks who thought after Huckabee dropped out that the door was totally closed on them this election. Too bad it wasn't.

Also, fist pounds to Paul Begala:

I like how Matt Damon is now the bad guy because he was telling the truth.

And of course, as soon as the McCain video from the Daily Show starts getting a lot of attention by the general masses, Viacom coincidentally has it removed from YouTube! Conspiracy!!!

So how does Biden coming out and saying that Obama probably should have picked Hillary as his running mate instead HELP Obama's bid for the presidency? Bit of a boneheaded comment here.

Source: New York Daily News

Hey, Barack, now even your running mate thinks Hillary Clinton may have been a better choice for veep.

Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden veered wildly off message Wednesday, telling a town hall meeting in New Hampshire that the former First Lady might have been a smarter pick than him for No. 2.

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America - let's get that straight," Biden said testily after a voter said he was "very pleased" that Democratic nominee Barack Obama had chosen him instead of Clinton.

"She is qualified to be President of the United States of America, she's easily qualified to be vice president of the United States of America and, quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me," the Delaware senator added forcefully. "I mean that sincerely, she is first- rate."

Biden did not elaborate, and it was unclear if he was speaking strategically, modestly or just rising to the defense of Clinton, whom he called "a truly close personal friend."

It didn't matter to GOPer John McCain's aides. They eagerly seized on the comment as a new way to mock Obama while rekindling hurt feelings among some Democrats over Clinton's rejection from the ticket.

"It's very interesting that when it comes down to Barack Obama's biggest decision of the presidential election in choosing a vice president, the man that he selects says that he himself was the wrong choice, and that Hillary Clinton would have been a better fit," said Ben Porritt, a spokesman for GOP veep nominee Sarah Palin.

Biden's odd nod to Clinton could not have come at a worse time for the Democrats, who have been struggling to hang on to Clinton-leaning voters after McCain picked Palin to be the GOP's first female veep candidate in history.

One Washington Post/ABC News poll this week showed white women flocking to McCain by a margin of 53% to 41% - a reversal of the 50%-to-42% edge Obama held among the same group just three weeks ago.

Biden's comments are also sure to fuel his reputation as a loose cannon whose mouth gets him into trouble.

During his own bid for the presidency last year, he raised eyebrows when he referred to Obama as the first African-American candidate who is "articulate and bright and clean."

More recently, Republicans have mocked him for mistakenly telling audiences that he is running for President, not vice president.

Clinton aides last night did not respond to inquiries from the Daily News about Biden's comments.

Aides to Biden and Obama also did not return calls immediately, although Obama last night defended his choice of Biden when asked if he would have chosen differently if he knew McCain was going to pick a woman.

"The way I thought about it was, 'Who's going to help me govern?'" Obama told "Late Show" funnyman David Letterman. "I think that nobody can do that better than Joe Biden."

There's a lack of context in that story. Biden was responding to someone who was giving him hell and yelling about how Hillary should have won instead. What're you supposed to do? You apologize, you ignore them and appear like an ass, or you say "hell no I'm better than she is" and look like an ass AND an egotist.

There wasn't any way he could get out of that situation and be complimentary to himself.

I agree, I don't think he should've said the more qualified part, but it doesn't sound like what he said was that bad.

How can Obama push for change, and then put a Clinton on the ticket, who had been attacking him for months on end?

Bob, I appreciate the sarcasm, but it isn't necessary here. At this point, things might be the rockiest for Obama as they have been since his campaign started. With McCain taking Palin, the hunt for Clinton's supporters has become an even bigger issue than it was before and Obama's numbers are struggling because it's come clear that he has not been able to unite the Democratic party after the divisive primary. So logically, it simply does not make sense for Biden to say that perhaps Obama was better served taking Hillary as his VP than himself. It serves no purpose. For Hillary's supporters, it doesn't placate them. It only serves to annoy them further that even Obama's OWN Vice Presidential candidate thinks he should have put her on the ticket. For Obama's supporters, it certainly doesn't sway them away from Barack, but it doesn't make him look any stronger either. And for McCain's supporters, this opens up another weak spot to exploit and try drawing away further Clinton supporters. I mean, all around, it was just a very, very silly comment to make. Especially at this time when the bid for Clinton's voters continues to look as though it will serve as the biggest determining X-Factor for who will win in November.

And JOTW, yes, Biden was in a tough position but he could have said everything he said and still looked good if he just skipped the part about Hillary quite possibly being a better pick than him. All of his other comments would have sufficed in responding to the guy, yet it wouldn't have done any damage to the credibility of the ticket. I'm sure we'll all forget about these comments in a day or two, but it doesn't change the fact that they still weren't a smart thing to say.

Gibson should have held up Flash Cards that said "YES" and "NO", then asked her to pick one. Man, was she prepped as hell for this interview. I'm gonna go light myself on fire now.

Sarah Palin links Iraq with 9-11

FORT WAINWRIGHT, Alaska, Sept. 11 -- Gov. Sarah Palin linked the war in Iraq with the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, telling an Iraq-bound brigade of soldiers that included her son that they would "defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the death of thousands of Americans."

Sarah Palin apparently learned her foreign policy history from Rudy Giuliani's convention speech.

Remember when Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, and then we went to war with them over fake intelligence and hype about nukular weapons that didn't exist? That was pretty fucked up.

I don't know why people are taking issue with her lack of preparedness. That's the beauty of democracy, is the ability of people to be democratic and have the right to vote and have a democracy.

And of course, as soon as the McCain video from the Daily Show starts getting a lot of attention by the general masses, Viacom coincidentally takes it down! Conspiracy!!!

Yeah dude you totally can't get that anywhere officially so they're just trying to stifle the message.

Fat Brando eating young Brando makes this the greatest video of all time.

I hope the beer things happens in this election, I really do. That should be a landslide victory for Obama.

Sign in to follow this