TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

No, they really do believe in talking snakes & an invisible man in the sky. They're not being played down to. It really is their thing!

I know it's different than it used to be and they're always news cameras everywhere. But I swear if I hear that same damn speech from Sarah Palin one more time. "Some candidates use change to promote their careers. Others, like Senator John McCain, use their careers to promote change." Would it hurt to revise the speech a little for every campaign stop.

I know it's different than it used to be and they're are always news cameras everywhere. But I swear if I hear that same damn speech from Sarah Palin one more time. "Some candidates use change to promote their careers. Others, like Senator John McCain, use their careers to promote change." Would it hurt to revise the speech a little for every campaign stop.

I'm just a regular hockey mom who joined the PTA because I wanted to get involved in my kids' public education. I told Congress thanks but no thanks to the bridge to nowhere. If Alaska wanted a bridge, we'd built it ourselves.

It was pretty well-established months ago that Obama could be making a huge mistake in alienating the 18 million people that voted for Hillary Clinton in the primaries by picking someone else as his Vice President. I am not surprised that McCain's poll numbers are up after picking Sarah Palin as his running mate. As far as women voters are concerned -- and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this idea -- he chose to continue their fight in breaking the glass ceiling. And hey, although Obama has certainly thrown around some nice words to Clinton and her supporters since the primaries ended, actions speak louder than words. He really has not done much of anything to win support from these women again. He chose an older white male as his Vice Presidential candidate despite the numerous potentially qualified female options available for him -- and this is not about Biden's qualifications; he is indeed useful when it comes to Obama's weakness with foreign policy. He hasn't thrown Clinton's supporters a bone by telling them she could be in line for an important position in his cabinet if he were elected. He hasn't done anything besides convince Hillary and Bill to trot out and make speeches at the Democratic National Convention in a situation where it pretty much seemed clear their arms were twisted by the party. He took for granted that he would receive their votes because Hillary is a Democrat and he is a Democrat but -- and we all knew this when the Democratic primary was still going on -- the wounds from this Obama-Clinton conflict were a little deeper than normal. Right now, he has nobody to blame but himself for this predicament.

It's Obama's fault that women would vote against their own reproductive rights. Women deserve to vote based solely upon a cult of personality and, if Hillary wasn't picked, it is absolutely essential that they vote elsewhere solely based on the genitalia and dense hockey-mom status of the candidates. Rights, personal freedoms, and an insistence on fewer controlling laws be damned. Also, health care & lower taxes do kinda suck. Women should have the right to vote to subsidize oil companies, billionaires, and health coverage for every government employee. It's their money and their wombs, why the fuck would they want any control over such things?

It's Obama's fault that women would vote against their own reproductive rights. Women deserve to vote based solely upon a cult of personality and, if Hillary wasn't picked, it is absolutely essential that they vote elsewhere solely based on the genitalia and dense hockey-mom status of the candidates. Rights, personal freedoms, and an insistence on fewer controlling laws be damned. Also, health care & lower taxes do kinda suck. Women should have the right to vote to subsidize oil companies, billionaires, and health coverage for every government employee. It's their money and their wombs, why the fuck would they want any control over such things?

Snuff, I do believe you just wrote Sarah's next speech. Good show. Toss in something about her family, a few shots at Obama for being a community activist and you have gold.

Reeling back to Bristol Palin, it's pretty funny that this woman is asking the media to stay out of her daughter's affairs when Sarah herself wants to involve herself in the matters of reproductive rights of every woman in the united states.

"But Samantha, she goes against everything Hillary Clinton campaigned for, how--"

"Boobs, Jon. Boobs."

Reeling back to Bristol Palin, it's pretty funny that this woman is asking the media to stay out of her daughter's affairs when Sarah herself wants to involve herself in the matters of reproductive rights of every woman in the united states.

That's a hard row to hoe, and there's no way you can come out of it not looking like an asshole.

Every pregnancy, every mooseburger, every oil pipeline story distracts from the fact that she isn't who she markets herself as, which is the most important. I mean, they're nearly telling bald-faced lies at this point, the truth is being twisted so hard you can almost hear it scream. Why focus on "lol she's so podunk!?"

And despite all these snarky comments, the point still remains -- Obama opened himself up for this attack by not choosing a woman as his VP, whether it was Hilary or Kathleen Sebelius or Claire McCaskill or Janet Napolitano or anybody else. If he would even make the effort NOW to say that some of these women would figure prominently into his cabinet once he is elected, he could minimize some of the damage here. It's a shame that the primaries with Clinton backed him into this corner but politically, it's a decision he should have made. We could sit here and talk about how it's unfair that women will vote for another woman just because she shares the same genitalia, and how these women must be idiots and banned from their right to vote because Palin shares absolutely none of their viewpoints, but it's ALL moot. The fact of the matter is that whether or not it's advisable that many women are using the gender card as the sole issue on which they are placing their vote, they are STILL going to do it regardless. And Obama needs to remedy this problem now with the last two months of the election.

The short-sightedness Obama's campaign showed when it came to pandering to the women vote was a major, major flub. This is something I was able to predict would happen months ago.

No, it's not a decision that should've been made. There are several arguments against picking Hilary. Don't call Obama's campaign short-sighted for forgoing possible women voters in order to have a ticket that is much more adhesive than Obama-Clinton. McCain's shotgun wedding with Palin is the ultimate move of short-sightedness. Could Obama have picked Clinton to grab women voters? Yes. Would it have been a turbulent administration? If history is anything to go by, YES.

So basically, affirmative action?

I mean, realistically, the GOP has as many sexists who are turned off by a woman on the ticket as people who will vote just because there's a woman on the ticket. It all balances itself out.

Palin's bump is by Jeezus freaks who thought after Huckabee dropped out that the door was totally closed on them this election. Too bad it wasn't.

It definitely does not balance out. McCain received a 20 point shift in the women's demographic towards his favor. She me one source that points to a 20 point shift away from white men and we'll talk.

Wait, hold on, that entire post was just flat out wrong. Rewrite it and try it again. Seriously, there is not one correct or even non-condescending sentiment in that argument.

Yeah, but how many people approve of a woman being on the ticket and how many people are really going to vote two months for now because there's one on it?

hillary-clinton-howard-u-400a062907.jpg

"18 million."

But see, that poll and $9 will buy a movie ticket.

If that was too charming for you, let me put it this way: That poll is worthless. These things fluctuate over time, and the only reason that poll is getting posted here is because, well, we follow polls on an almost daily basis in this corner.

I will be very put out if just naming a woman VP wins McCain the election.

Hillary on Obama's ticket would've been death for his campaign. The Democrats would've been hammered with footage from just months ago of their VP candidate openly berating and deriding their presidential candidate, and the Dems would have no way to respond. If Hillary does a 180 on her position, she gets the John Kerry "flip flopper" label of death in addition to all the 3 a.m. references and whatnot. And while we're focusing on the large number of pro-Hillary voters in the wake of McCain's rise in polls, let's not forget about the strong anti-Hillary contigent as well, which would've likely cost the Dems key independent voters.

Interestingly, despite McCain's newfound advantage in the polls, Obama still wins based on electoral polls.

But many of the key states are razor thin. He pretty much needs Michigan and Pennsylvania though, and to capture one of two "mid-land states" (NM and/or Colorado)

It also appears she doesn't have quite the long, well-established history with the Wasilla Bible Church or the personal relationship with Larry Kroon that Obama had with the Trinity United Church and Reverend Wright. So perhaps....now, just work with me here....that might be the reason this won't become quite as much a lightning rod of controversy.

No matter who Obama had picked, there'd be a problem. There's no such thing as a perfect pick.

There is no one out there who has both executive and foreign policy experience that is exciting to the base, not a career politician nor Washington insider, and who will bring in independent voters.

Also...

Come on...nothing? No comments? Or are we so Palinned out at this point that no scandal surprises us?

A McCain presidency won't be the worst thing but it will a) miss out on the first truly important presidential administration in the 21st century and, b) book my ticket to Canada.

There won't be a McCain Presidency. Might these bounces for the Republican ticket might be due to, I dunno, their convention being last week and post-convention polling data coming in early this week? The most recent message is the most vivid. They're boned and freaking out when the election isn't for another month and a half (and it isn't as if McCain suddenly opened up a 15% lead, so quit with the "Americans are dumb! We're doomed!" talk) is betraying the basic faith that "liberals" here should have in this cycle and in our country's ability to eventually figure out when we're being fucked.

Christians really believe in a Dude who wrote out rules and will give them eternal paradise or eternal damnation after they die. Doesn't mean law reflects that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my view is that law is imperfect, and which side of the life thing you take up, there's no getting around that. My position isn't so much that either take on the unknown is right, but that our law isn't based on the unknown.

Well, this law is on the unknown, no matter what. But I do agree with your view, though all us Pro-Lifers aren't ridiculous religious nuts. Some of us are logical enough to realize you can't be Pro-Life and expect abstinence actually work, or that you can do away with abortion and then not fund the mothers who have these kids. At the very least, I'd rather see this on state ballots rather than in the Supreme Court, so we don't have to worry about "OMG HE'LL APPOINT PRO-LIFE/CHOICE JUSTICES!" It's like the only thing people seem to care about concerning the Supreme Court.

But regardless...

Is anyone waiting for the debates to decide? I personally am leaning towards Obama, but I'd like to hear them both go at it at the debates before making a final decision.

Sign in to follow this