TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

The "that one" moment was when he was talking about the energy bill Bush/Cheney put up in the Senate. He said "You want to know who voted for that bill? Well, this is ironic; that one *points at Obama*." I agree, it's not a big moment to me.

I still think McCain is the best candidate the Republicans could have gotten out of their party. McCain's the only one who, right now, would have any hope in hell of coming close to Obama.

Man, Obama's making a killing on these CNN polls, most notably the economy ones. Not that polls are the be all end all, but McCain's got some uphill battle to climb.

The "that one" moment was when he was talking about the energy bill Bush/Cheney put up in the Senate. He said "You want to know who voted for that bill? Well, this is ironic; that one *points at Obama*." I agree, it's not a big moment to me.

I still think McCain is the best candidate the Republicans could have gotten out of their party. McCain's the only one who, right now, would have any hope in hell of coming close to Obama.

thepoorbastardthisismitrg8.jpg

Mitt Romney's awful.

While he would fare better given the recession/bailout, he's such an unlikeable douchebag that he would have no chance. Plus, all his flip-flopping would come back to haunt him

The GOP is saving Romney for 2012, although he'd be a candidate that would have been more credible and at ease talking about the economy than McCain.

Romney's main problem is he flip-flopped on social issues in the primary because he thought his main challenger would be Giuliani. After McCain's win in NH he was screwed.

Romney wouldnt be getting slaughtered on the Economy like McCain is. I dare say (tin foil hat conspiracy alert!) that the economy may have never started tanking had he gotten the nomination..

But Romney's such an unlikeable douchebag, that the raise would probably be over pre-bailout stuff anyway.

Romney wouldnt be getting slaughtered on the Economy like McCain is. I dare say (tin foil hat conspiracy alert!) that the economy may have never started tanking had he gotten the nomination..

But Romney's such an unlikeable douchebag, that the raise would probably be over pre-bailout stuff anyway.

There wouldnt be any "Romney is a 3rd Bush term" either.

I dare say (tin foil hat conspiracy alert!) that the economy may have never started tanking had he gotten the nomination..

Hahahahahaa what?

I said back a while ago that it couldnt have been just a coincidence that the economy started to slowly turn south soon after he dropped out of the Primary Race.

As for my conspiracy theory, it is strange that McCain got a huge bump out of the Convention and Palin nomination and then all of a sudden were on a first class ticket to 1929 with a crumbling economy, when everyone freely admits that John McCain absolutely sucks when it comes to the economy.

Ahahahahahahahaha...

God, that's hilarious. Romney would have been out of this race in August with his insane pandering to the Republican base. Don't you remember "Double the size of Gitmo"? His flip-fop on social values, combined with his continued support of almost a straight Republican line would have been suicide. The Republican base has been shrinking for a while now, and Romney couldn't possibly bring in more independents than McCain does. It's the only reason the Republicans are still in this race.

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Yes, those companies would have magically generated profits somehow if Romney was on the table. I don't care what the mods think, but you really are retarded. I can't believe you'd even entertain that idea to yourself.

And Romney wouldn't do better on the economy than McCain, because they are pitching the same plan: tax cuts and deregulation. You think people are going to be hot on a former CEO telling them how to solve a problem which everyone has been saying was caused by "Corporate Greed"? And that the solution is to "let them regulate themselves"?

Ahahahahahahahaha...

Marvin, as someone who has defended you a lot, and believes you should be able to post here without restriction, you really are stupid.

As Nighwing said, the last thing Americans would want to hear talk about how much they're struggling is a guy worth as much as he is.

Man, Nightwing has made a leftward swing.

To be fair, I've always been a moderate, with most of my conservative beliefs focused on foreign policy; I'm sort of a 90's Democrat, back when we used to intervene in things rather than just let genocides happen. After 2003, I was suddenly staring on the outside of the party office looking in.

I've just gotten tired of McCain's pandering to the Republican base. Obama's foreign policy plan has me much more at ease than I thought it would months ago, and with the economy like it is, I'm up for regulation, which is not what McCain is pitching. When I was defending McCain, I was doing so because I thought he'd be a helluva lot more moderate than he is today. Palin was just the last straw for that; I've just never been so insulted by a Vice Presidential choice in my life. She's is the most vapid, unappealing person I've ever seen, and the fact that she's a step away from the Presidency (Behind a guy as old as McCain, no less) has pushed me back towards Obama in a big way.

Plus, it's Marvin. I mean, who doesn't seem a bit more to the left when they're deconstructing him.

Mitt Romney's awful.

While he would fare better given the recession/bailout, he's such an unlikeable douchebag that he would have no chance. Plus, all his flip-flopping would come back to haunt him

Bob is 100% correct on this.

Marvin, as someone who has defended you a lot, and believes you should be able to post here without restriction, you really are stupid.

As Nighwing said, the last thing Americans would want to hear talk about how much they're struggling is a guy worth as much as he is.

Well heres a newsflash then, I think that last statement disqualifies Obama as well. Obama's certainly not near Romneys $200 million plus net worth, but he has more money than most average "struggling" Americans will ever see in their lifetime just the same.

Maybe we should go to D.C. and pick up the first homeless person we see on the street and have them run for President since you seem to think that Americans want to hear from people who have struggled during the downturn in the economy.

I said back a while ago that it couldnt have been just a coincidence that the economy started to slowly turn south soon after he dropped out of the Primary Race.

As for my conspiracy theory, it is strange that McCain got a huge bump out of the Convention and Palin nomination and then all of a sudden were on a first class ticket to 1929 with a crumbling economy, when everyone freely admits that John McCain absolutely sucks when it comes to the economy.

Are you honestly suggesting that once Mitt Romney no longer became a viable candidate for President the executives at AIG/Lehman/WaMu/et al got together with Hank Paulson and cooked up a brilliant plan to sink the credit market in an effort to stop John McCain? Do you realize how unbelievably retarded that sounds? Holy shit.

Well heres a newsflash then, I think that last statement disqualifies Obama as well. Obama's certainly not near Romneys $200 million plus net worth, but he has more money than most average "struggling" Americans will ever see in their lifetime just the same.

Maybe we should go to D.C. and pick up the first homeless person we see on the street and have them run for President since you seem to think that Americans want to hear from people who have struggled during the downturn in the economy.

You just destroyed your own point. It's not that they don't make as much money as Obama.

It's that Romney is obscenely rich, and he gained that money as the CEO of a major corporation.

It's been universally touted that this crisis was basically caused by "Corporate Greed".

It's the Republican line to fix the economy with "universal tax cuts and deregulation".

Now let's put that all together in one sentence: It's an obscenely rich former CEO telling us to solve a problem caused by corporate greed with "universal tax cuts and deregulation".

Actually, can anyone else simplify this even more for Marvin, because I still think I'm talking over his head.

Im glad to know we've lowered the level of obscenity to $200 million.

And there were more factors to this crisis than just "corporate greed".

that last statement must have been formed by using the logic that

All CEO's are rich.

All rich people are greedy.

Therefore all CEO's are greedy bastards who should be taxed 99% of their income and like it since normal people could live on the 1% that they would still have for themselves.

Yeah, let's put $200 million back in the moderate category.

Which Mitt Romney would've single-handedly stopped?

-----------------------------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/08/opinion/08friedman.html?hp

k1___Yokohama__07.JPG

"And that's why God lives on another planet and boned Mary!"

Yeah, the American people would really want him in office.

that last statement must have been formed by using the logic that

All CEO's are rich.

All rich people are greedy.

Therefore all CEO's are greedy bastards who should be taxed 99% of their income and like it since normal people could live on the 1% that they would still have for themselves.

No, you're the one who completely misrepresented the statement by making a completely obtuse comment about how Obama is also rich (But not nearly as rich as Romney, of course). That wasn't the point; Obama isn't nearly as rich as Romney, doesn't come from a rich background (Which Romney does), and didn't gain all his wealth as a corporate CEO. Their situations are completely different, but you don't seem to understand that in the slightest.

I understand completely that there were a variety of factors involved in this whole economic crisis. But right now, both parties have agreed that corporate greed has played a part of it and talk about it constantly. Having a former CEO going up to the podium to preach the values of deregulation and universal tax cuts is not going to play well with people. It doesn't help that deregulation and a lack of oversight is another reason why we got here.

Frankly, I'd just rather they realize that he's a flip-flopping political opportunist whose amazing ability to tow the Republican line to absurd levels is simply not very "leader-like". And I think the people realized that in the primaries, but you haven't come to grips with that reality yet.

I'm sorry that you want to be Lois Lane to his Supermormon, but he's not going to save the day. Hell, he couldn't even save his own campaign; how the hell is he supposed to save the economy?

Sign in to follow this