TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

the "B-woman" incident happened about half a mile from my house, a block away from the coffee shop i frequent.

this, however...

The NY Times looks at the McCain campaign's constant attempts to re-characterize him, and the rational behind the Palin pick.

A long read, but worth it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magazine/26mccain-t.html

was much more interesting, and really makes clear the matter of image over character in winning the election. if obama wins, it will be more than anything else because he's run an extraordinarily disciplined campaign and maintained a steady direction. mccain comes off in the article as quite a measured and genuine guy, and it's a shame that the whole election is going to be decided because his staff didn't really know what they were doing. obama had been pushing the "3rd term of bush" message since the primary, and i remember thinking then that it wasn't a very convincing case, but the mccain people just never bothered to counter it till 2 weeks ago, and obama just repeated it so many times that it started to stick.

between that piece & another piece on mccain in today's "week in review" section (which is also very good), i'm pretty amazed that the most compelling cases i've seen made for him so far have been in the fucking new york times.

There are still 3 variables in this election, which we've addressed to some degree before, which no one knows what impact they'll have:

• Will the 7% undecided break in favor of for Obama, McCain, or be split down the middle?
  • How much, if any, impact will the so-called "Bradley Effect" have on Obama's numbers?
  • What, if any, impact will mostly young and lower-income people who use cell-phones as their primary telephone, who are not included in most polling samples, have on the numbers?

http://www.palinaspresident.us/

Just randomly click on stuff...especially the door, over and over.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertain...a-campaign.html

I can't believe half the comments on there, in reference to Barbara West. A lot of people actually saying she "had the balls to take it to Biden," and "ask the tough questions." I guess if you just listen to Hannity and Limbaugh all day, you would think so.

It's Florida man. I'm shocked more people haven't praised her there.

So has anyone went to early vote yet or do you all wait until election day?

I'm off Tuesday and I will going down to the Powell library (TN) to vote. I'm sure it might be a fun experience to vote on the day of the election but who knows if I will be working that day so I'm going to vote early agin this year.

I dropped off my absentee ballot at City Hall last Monday. Decided to vote for Nader. Obama's going to win Maine by 10-15% so I thought "what the hell?" I guess this gives me something in common with Marv.

I live in New York, so my vote is considered meaningless, but after what you guys have said in the past few pages about somebody not voting really got to me. So I'm going. Work may not like it, but it's legal.

I live in New York, so my vote is considered meaningless, but after what you guys have said in the past few pages about somebody not voting really got to me. So I'm going. Work may not like it, but it's legal.

Your choice for U.S. House of Representatives and any other local offices should count for something.

State and local governments actually control more funds than the federal government. They probably also have a greater impact on most people's lives as well. So I agree with snuffington.

We should all take a greater interest in our state legislature elections.

State legislators are a lot like small town mayors, except they have actual responsibilities.

We should all take a greater interest in our state legislature elections.

If you lived in NYC you wouldn't say that after the City Council decided to say "FUCK YOU" to the people this week and overturn term limits because Herr Bloomberg wants to be mayor again. If 51 people can override the votes of millions, what's the point in voting on the city/state level?

I thought the NYC mayor election wasn't for another year?

And he's not a Republican anymore, so does he even need to win a primary to get on the ballot?

I'd assume the Democrats and Republicans are going to go ahead and field their own candidates for mayor. Maybe, with the term limits repealed, Guiliani will run again...or is he planning a run against Schumer or Patterson in 2010?

Yeah, its sad, but I know more about NY politics than my own city and state.

Its funny to me that my congressman is a former mayor of K.C., and because the city is spread out over parts of 2 separate Congressional districts, the mayor who came after him is running for Congress in the district immediately north of mine. I'm sure, because there are so many districts within NYC city limits, running for the U.S. House would be considered a demotion for a NYC mayor.

I thought the NYC mayor election wasn't for another year?

And he's not a Republican anymore, so does he even need to win a primary to get on the ballot?

I'd assume the Democrats and Republicans are going to go ahead and field their own candidates for mayor. Maybe, with the term limits repealed, Guiliani will run again...or is he planning a run against Schumer or Patterson in 2010?

Yeah, its sad, but I know more about NY politics than my own city and state.

Its funny to me that my congressman is a former mayor of K.C., and because the city is spread out over parts of 2 separate Congressional districts, the mayor who came after him is running for Congress in the district immediately north of mine. I'm sure, because there are so many districts within NYC city limits, running for the U.S. House would be considered a demotion for a NYC mayor.

The short version of the story is that the mayoral election is in '09, but they "needed" to decide this issue now because they made sure not to get it on a referendum in the election coming up next week because it clearly would have been shot down. With that obstacle out of the way the City Council/Bloomberg argued that it wouldn't be "fair" to make people wait until April or May of next year to find out if they could run for a 3rd term, or if they needed to focus on the positions they WOULD have been running for otherwise and voted 29-22 to overturn the will of the people. Basically, when no one offered Bloomberg the VP slot he decided he wanted to be mayor again since there's no other position he wants, strongarmed City Council Speaker Christine Quinn into flip-flopping on her position from voting against them to being the champion of Bloomberg's vision. What's most annoying about that decision is that she was going to run for mayor and probably lose, but now she'll more than likely get to keep her spot and run in '13 with a better chance of winning since the field will be wide open. Allegedly there were threats made, people turned their backs on their public stances and angered a great deal of the voters in the city, but they have 13 months to hope people forget about everything and when the economy rebounds they'll take the credit for it, and idiots will reward them with a 3rd term.

The best argument made by those who decided to flip the double bird at the voters was that if people wanted to punish the Council members they can do that next November, but at most you can only vote on 1/51 of the body and the vast majority of them will win because that's what incumbents do ~95-99% of the time. They also claimed that this would allow for more choices, but we've already been told that Quinn and another person more than likely won't run for mayor since Bloomberg's $100 million campaign is going to win and it would be career suicide to give up a job just to get crushed by his money and advertising advantage. It was a perfect example of the type of backroom politics that causes apathy amongst the public. If Obama somehow loses on the 4th after every projection I've seen has him blowing McCain out, I think I'll be done with voting entirely.

The thing about voting is that there's always another issue and always another election.

For example, no one I've ever voted for for president has ever won, but my congressional choices usually do.

The thing about voting is that there's always another issue and always another election.

For example, no one I've ever voted for for president has ever won, but my congressional choices usually do.

It's not so much the winning and losing that bothers me since Republicans have been mayor/governor most of my life here. It's the basic idea that politicians with money or power can just stick it to the voters, and McCain coming back from a 100+ point electoral college deficit would be the final straw after what Bush was able to achieve the last 2 times.

At least voting against someone who always wins gives you the satisfaction of saying, "Hey, I didn't vote for that idiot" when he inevitably fucks something up.

And I say that as someone who has a 12-year streak of being able to say "Don't blame me, I voted for ___________" that's about to end.

edit: You could argue my vote for Nader helped elect Bush to his first term, and that might be a reason to blame me.

Edited by SuperJerk

Well, hey, look at it this way. When the Purges start, you can scream at the blue revolution soldiers holding you and your loved ones at gunpoint, "I VOTED FOR OBAMA, I VOTED FOR OBAMA"

Well, hey, look at it this way. When the Purges start, you can scream at the blue revolution soldiers holding you and your loved ones at gunpoint, "I VOTED FOR OBAMA, I VOTED FOR OBAMA"

I have brown skin. I'm safe when the Revoultion begins :headbang:

It will be interesting to see what happens to Joe Lieberman after this election. After endorsing and campaigning for McCain, a lot of Democrats want him punished by taking away his committee chairmanship, and kicking him out of the Democratic caucus. The only reason that hasn't already happened is that without him, the Democrats would be in the minority, but the margin probably won't be so thin after the election and he can be purged. However, he may still be useful to the Democrats if they need his vote to get a 60 member fillibuster-proof super-majority.

I wish to lay odds on Olbermann using McCain's struggle to remember the 5 former Secretary of States or whatever who are supporting him as a counterpoint to Powell on meet the press. Oh yeah defending palin's dwindling support by saying "eh, we have lots of people on our side!" (paraphased oh course)

Then they showed the picture of McCain being shot down 41 years ago yesterday (Sunday) and he's on his back in the water being dragged by like 10-15 Vietnamese. A chill went down my spine. Still ain't voting for him.

Sign in to follow this