TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest *KNK*

CM Punk's gimmick

Most deaf people I know don't have good verbal ability.  And most deaf people I know get terribly offended by anything related to deafness ("hard of hearing" is an offensive term, btw).  So, if this is true, I'd really like to see how this turns out PR wise for the E.

"Hey Catherine, look at this, a deaf wrestler in the WWE."

"REALLY?  Is he really deaf?!"

"No."

*various obscenities*

I'm hard of hearing. Don't speak for us, ok thanks.

Guest *KNK*
Aren't there a few wrestlers, past and present, who are totally deaf in real life. I just can't remember their names right now.

Alot were from the effects of wrestling, such as Steve Corino. Im not sure of any who went into the profession, legitimately deaf...

I'm sure there are a few of them out there.

The saddest part of all this is that even though it's a joke and the writers would have to be total morons to create this gimmick, we can all see it happening for real.

No, the saddest part is that it's probably better than what they'll actually end up using. After tonight's unveiling of Jillian, I lost all hope.

Aren't there a few wrestlers, past and present, who are totally deaf in real life. I just can't remember their names right now.

Alot were from the effects of wrestling, such as Steve Corino. Im not sure of any who went into the profession, legitimately deaf...

I'm sure there are a few of them out there.

Time out, how deaf is Corino?

I remember reading Angle's book about how he's somewhat deaf in one ear as well. So it's not that uncommon. First time I've heard about Corino though.

I'd heard Corino is deaf in one ear, presumabley from working strong style, and Angle has a lot of fluid in one ear, so he's pretty deaf in that one.

Man, after looking at this topic over again, there is a part of me that wants to see someone with a deaf gimmick in the WWE. Not CM Punk, but someone else. It may have some boundaries, but hell, we thought Eugene's character had lots of boundaries and was instant Wrestlecrap... it's turned into a successful gimmick surprisingly. I've never seen it before in wrestling. It would be different.

Guest Trecko
He could have been a heel and wore a shirt

"Boo me all you want, I cant hear you!"

Oh, and when there is a blind wrestler, Cena needs to be there when he debuts..

"Man, you really can't see me"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially at the Cena part, I can honestly see him doing that. Face and all.

Guest xSarahx

I believe in Edge's book he talks about how when he first came to the WWF, they wanted him to be the first deaf-mute character. Or maybe it was Christian, I can't remember.....

Corino ruptured his eardrum in ROH last summer (same event with Low-Ki concussing Danny Maff with a kick).

I'm pretty sure he's completely deaf in one ear.

at this point, I'd believe the WWE would strap a man in a wheelchair and have him wrestle in it....a deaf guy is most certainly something I could see them do (if this story really was true)...

at this point, I'd believe the WWE would strap a man in a wheelchair and have him wrestle in it....

How would the wheelchair wrestler be able to get into the ring? Also, wouldn't his only moves be running into and over people with the wheelchair, or would he still be able to punch and kick, too?

Well SOMEBODY has to, no one else can understand yall.

I have no problems with you personally, but I can speak very well, in fact to the point that my "handicap" is undetectable. So I can speak for myself. Personally I prefer the term, "Hard of hearing" than "hearing impaired" or "deaf". Though I have to be honest and say I'm a rare exception to the rule, and what you said about the majority of them is largely true...

at this point, I'd believe the WWE would strap a man in a wheelchair and have him wrestle in it....

How would the wheelchair wrestler be able to get into the ring? Also, wouldn't his only moves be running into and over people with the wheelchair, or would he still be able to punch and kick, too?

"And the punch-to-the-crotch gets a two count for the Crippled Crippler."

"And the punch-to-the-crotch gets a two count for the Crippled Crippler."

They should bring Dynamite Kid back for this. At least he probably still could work in the wheelchair.

Well SOMEBODY has to, no one else can understand yall.

I have no problems with you personally, but I can speak very well, in fact to the point that my "handicap" is undetectable. So I can speak for myself. Personally I prefer the term, "Hard of hearing" than "hearing impaired" or "deaf". Though I have to be honest and say I'm a rare exception to the rule, and what you said about the majority of them is largely true...

Rare exception my ass. My mother, younger brother, and myself all have a hearing disability. The bullshit about not being able to speak is just that. People who have a speech impediment usually do not have that because they can't hear. Whomever told you that is full of shit. For the record, what I have is called tinnitus. William fucking Shatner has it too. Actually forget that, he's a terrible example for speaking clearly. Here's a little sample of celebrities with tinnitus:

Neil Young

Barbra Streisand

Pete Townshend

John Entwhistle

William Shatner

Leonard Nimoy

David Letterman

Paul Schaffer

Tony Randall

Engelbert Humperdinck

Rosalynn Carter

Steve Martin

Leslie Nielsen

Mark O. Hatfield

Ronald Reagan

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Richard Thomas

Dave Pirner

Bob Mould

Neve Campbell

Jeff Beck

Burt Reynolds

Sting

Liberty Divito

Eric Clapton

Eric Johnson

James Hetfield

Lars Ulrich

Lemmy Kilminster

Kevin Shields

Blinda Butcher

Thomas Edison

Graham Cole

Sylvester Stallone

Ted Nugent

Rick Emmett

Bono

The Edge

Peter Jennings

Jerry Stiller

Lorence Henderson

Jeff Beck

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Martin Luther

Phil Collins

Cher

Blixa Bargeld

Ozzy Osbourne

Huey Lewis

Tony Franklin

Alan Shepard

Ira Flatow

Don Imus

Vincent Van Gogh

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Robert Schumann

Bedrich Smetana

Charles Darwin

Stewart Copeland

Keanu Reeves

Larry King

Dave Swarbrick

Charles Arthur

Charlie Haden

Kathy Peck

Michael Tomlinson

Al Di Meola

John Densmore

Jimmy Savile

Francis Rossi

Mick Ronson

The difference is... I'm speaking of the people that became deaf at a very very early age or was born that way. The ones that can speak well is very rare. I know this, because I've hung out with a lot of deaf people, seeing I was in a deaf program in elementary school. My speaking ability was what allowed me to be integrated into a hearing-only environment. Those people you just named likely learned to speak before being stricken and thus they're able to continue on speaking fine. Don't tell me that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, I'm not some idiot on the internet that claims to know everything about everything, but let me tell you with some confidence, when it comes to knowing deaf people, I think I know what I'm talking about.

My brother and I were born with our hearing impairments, the tinnitus came later.  Calling yourself a "rare excetion" is a joke. Get over yourself and your heroic ability to speak.

Oh right. Why is it that out of the 200-400 deaf people I know, only 5 people of that group has the ability to speak? There is a reason they're stereotyped as being unintelligible speakers. It's cool that you can speak too. Kudos to you. Welcome to the population of 6 now people that I know with that ability. :) And I'd appreciate if you didn't try to flame me, because I do know what I'm talking about. And any further disparaging comments by you will be disregarded as I've said my piece to Rudo, and you haven't defended his comment... I wonder why.

How would the wheelchair wrestler be able to get into the ring?  Also, wouldn't his only moves be running into and over people with the wheelchair, or would he still be able to punch and kick, too?

Well I guess they could have a wheelchair ramp up to the ring and take the ring ropes off for him so he can get in.

Or WWE can have the wrestler in a wheelchair think that he really doesn't need the chair and he always trying to get out of the chair and wrestle. With "funny" results.

actually I was thinking he'd have a manager (a Diesel like character) that wheeled him down, carried him into the ring, propped him up against the turnbuckle, retrieved the wheelchair and set him back in there...outside interference from the manager would help him win everytime...

yes I know it's a horrible idea....

You know if WWE ever did a deaf wrestler you just know he's going to be in an interview with Steve Austin.

Steve Austin: WHAT?

Deaf wrestler: WHAT?

Crowd: WHAT?

Steve Austin: WHAT?

Deaf wrestler: WHAT?

Crowd: WHAT?

Smarks watching: Someone just shoot me now.

Well, he'd at least be able to punch...