TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Sushi, sashimi, etc..

I don't eat the raw stuff, only the cooked (ie: crab, etc) stuff. My favourite has to be the green dragon roll. That's a helluva lot of avacado. :P

I love eel rolls, and a good shiitake-cucumber roll. The Spider Roll with the fried soft-shell crab is always good as well, and I usually order a tamago piece.

If it has any combination of BBQ eel, shrimp, crab, fish roe and/or avocado, I'm pretty much guaranteed to like it. The only sushi item I absolutely despise is sea urchin. That's some nasty shit right there.

Love the stuff. I can eat pretty much any kinda sushi or sashimi you throw at me, save for giant clam (too chewy) or that rotted soybean nonsense.

Guest T®ITEC

I live for the brief tastes of it that I get. Also, it must just be me, because I've never had eel that I liked. It always seems to have the texture of nothing but very small fish bones, and little else makes me want to vomit more.

There is a Sushi place right down the road from me and I absolutely adore the "King Roll" which is sushi stuffed with shrimp, avacado, cucumber, some hybrid of sprouts,, some caviore(sp?) some great sauce and, best of all Soft Shell Crab... The fucking thing is expensive, but it is damn good and very filling.

DarthTiki should know where this place is (Same shopping Center as Pizza Pucks, and the Togos/Baskin Robbins)

Ced might know too.

I've seen the place, Mike, I just rarely visit that area so I haven't had a chance to visit it.

As for eel, yes, I do get the texture of small bones most of the time, but when I get the pieces that just seem to melt in my mouth...that's f'n heavenly. Then again, I love the taste of octopus while most of the people I've eaten with tell me they hate the rubbery feel.

And natto (fermented soy beans) can just go to hell. I rather take my chances on a suspect piece of blowfish than eat that crap again.

I've seen the place, Mike, I just rarely visit that area so I haven't had a chance to visit it.

As for eel, yes, I do get the texture of small bones most of the time, but when I get the pieces that just seem to melt in my mouth...that's f'n heavenly. Then again, I love the taste of octopus while most of the people I've eaten with tell me they hate the rubbery feel.

And natto (fermented soy beans) can just go to hell. I rather take my chances on a suspect piece of blowfish than eat that crap again.

Ced, this new place that Opened up by Jess's house called NY Grand Buffet, has mini octopus as one of it's buffet entrees.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've had some and liked it, but if I never ate it again, I wouldn't care.

The problem with sea urchin is that the only edible part of the animal is the gonad.

I don't care for fish roe, at least not the large roe, because the popping feeling of the bigger ones (about half the diameter of a dime) is pretty disgusting. I assume it's an acquired taste.

There is a Sushi place right down the road from me and I absolutely adore the "King Roll" which is sushi stuffed with shrimp, avacado, cucumber, some hybrid of sprouts,, some caviore(sp?) some great sauce and, best of all Soft Shell Crab...  The fucking thing is expensive, but it is damn good and very filling. 

DarthTiki should know where this place is (Same shopping Center as Pizza Pucks, and the Togos/Baskin Robbins)

Ced might know too.

Mike, I believe the place is called Oshima or something like that. I recommend their Hollez which is an intense spicy tuna roll. It's a bit pricey, but not bad. There's a place I went to last night in Rocklin called Izumi which was pretty cheap yet tasty.

I got a sushi for dummies type book and a sushi mat for christmas out of the blue. I personally love sushi, but being allergic to shellfish limits what I can eat (no shrimp/lobster/crabs) but I do love the tuna and salmon ones, especially Nigiri which are the ones that are just the fish and rice (no nori).

Guest Vitamin X

Agreed. And the shellfish are probably the least-tastier sushi anyways, so don't worry about it. I'm a big salmon fan myself, tuna, whitefish, yellowfish, it's all good. The shrimp is the only one of the shellfish that doesn't taste completely bland.

Shellfish also has sort of an odd texture. Slightly crunchy, not what you would expect.

Anyway, all types of tuna lead the list for me, Mackerel, real crab, octopus, squid, salmon, shrimp, really any kind of fish, eel, are great.

So, I'm basically not too big on the shellfish either. I have yet to make up my mind on urchin, which I've only had once, and definitely had a unique taste.

Oh, and I don't like Salmon roe. it tastes OK, but the way the little bastards pop in your mouth is unpleasant.

Lastly, what's the point of Tamago? (egg)

Guest Vitamin X
Oh, and I don't like Salmon roe. it tastes OK, but the way the little bastards pop in your mouth is unpleasant.

I remember my friends and I used to frequent sushi places a lot back in California, and while we could all eat anything on the menu, Salmon roe was the one thing that, just judging by its very looks, we couldn't eat.

Pictures are necessary:

taste-SALMON-ROE.jpg

And an extreme closeup. Not for the weak of stomachs.

Anyways, we dared one of our friends (the "daredevil one", every group has one, I suppose) to actually order the damn thing, and he did and when he ate it, he couldn't stop going "OH... GOD.. THEY'RE... EXPLODING.. IN MY MOUTH... GROSS!!!" I told him I'd do it with him, when I tried one I was like "JESUS CHRIST THIS IS SALTY" and spit a couple out.

I don't think I've ever tried it again.

Raw shrimp isn't that great either. Doesn't have much of a taste, and has a sort of oily texture. The normal 'ol rare-cooked shrimp is better.

There's this one type of sushi, it's bright red, fading to white, with an extremely smooth texture. It's quite firm, abnormally so for fish. I think it's some type of fin? Either way, it's good.

Oh, and I think futomaki usually sucks. It's usually egg, mushroom and pickle. Wheee. And it's usually kind of expensive just because it's fat.

Guest Vitamin X

What the fuck is that? Penis shellfish?

Cooked mussels are great though, especially when served warm with a bit of mayonaisse.

EDIT: Oh, that's a Geoduck. A quick search on it revealed that it's also a mascot for Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA. Apparently their school's motto is also Omnia Extares which means... "let it all hang out".

geoduckmascot-cropped.jpg

Go, Geoducks go,

Through the mud and the sand,

let's go.

Siphon high, squirt it out,

swivel all about,

let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,

Strech your necks when the tide

is low

Siphon high, squirt it out,

swivel all about,