TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

The Summerslam Thread

I'm assuming they wanted to get Dominick out of the storyline and the only way to do that is for Rey to win. If Eddie wins then Dominick is on TV for a long while in tedious skits with Eddie teaching him the Guerrero way.

They might as well go with Batista/Orton now since Orton just beat UT and Eddie is SO not in contention right now. That's kinda what happens when you job to the same guy (who isn't a world title contender really) 7 times in one year.

I'm telling you, they need to just do a big time Eddie beat down on Rey in a match where he takes him out 1-2-3, leaves him laying, and maybe that would be the equal of 7 jobs. Not a Benoit/OJ type squash but a serious match that is 20m or so, Eddie goes over clean and just beats holy hell out of Rey.

My favorite part of Summerslam was Tazz shilling OJ as the best pure athlete in the WWE, while at the same time OJ is getting almost no reaction at all from a crowd that just moments earlier was going crazy for Chris Benoit.

I'm assuming they wanted to get Dominick out of the storyline and the only way to do that is for Rey to win.  If Eddie wins then Dominick is on TV for a long while in tedious skits with Eddie teaching him the Guerrero way.

They might as well go with Batista/Orton now since Orton just beat UT and Eddie is SO not in contention right now.  That's kinda what happens when you job to the same guy (who isn't a world title contender really) 7 times in one year.

I'm telling you, they need to just do a big time Eddie beat down on Rey in a match where he takes him out 1-2-3, leaves him laying, and maybe that would be the equal of 7 jobs.  Not a Benoit/OJ type squash but a serious match that is 20m or so, Eddie goes over clean and just beats holy hell out of Rey.

But then the problem lies in that Rey's overall push may be affected by that. It most certainly would if Eddy just flat out kicked the shit out of him in a match and left him laying. The whole point of this feud, I would imagine, was to elevate Rey into a situation where he could be penciled into more main event feuds and programs. If Eddy, now, just flat out kicks his ass and the feud is over, that doesnt really help anyone as Rey will be affected and Eddy got one silly win over Rey and heels shouldnt normally be put over the face in the blowoff, especially in this situation where the idea is to put over Rey to a level he hasnt been at before, and establish Eddy more as a credible heel with his character and not necessarily with the amount of wins he has. Ultimately, I think wins and losses dont mean much, as long as the person losing still comes out looking pretty credible in the process. And unless I was watching a different match, Eddy moreless won that match last night over and over quite clearly. So yeah, Rey won, but Eddy got just as much out of that match as Rey did.

Eddy still looks just fine if they decide to do a Batista/Eddy program right now. They probably will need to do some multi-week formula of things to give merit to Eddy having a title shot, such as winning a tournament or whatever.

They probably will need to do some multi-week formula of things to give merit to Eddy having a title shot, such as winning a tournament or whatever.

They have roughly 7-8 weeks to get Eddie ready for Batista (if that is the direction they go) However the last thing I want to see is another damn tournament to determine a contender for a belt. They have already had a tournament earlier this year. If they want to do #1 contender's match, then fine, but please no more tournaments.

This is just a question since I haven't seen a lot of shows recently (although I might start watching Smackdown again now that the Eddy/Rey shit is over with), but I see several of you talking about the crowd turning against Cena at times.

My question is, does the same thing happen with Batista?  I know that Vince is down on Batista right now, but anything I've read seems to say that the crowd responded quite positively towards him.

Batista is from DC, we love the big lug.

They probably will need to do some multi-week formula of things to give merit to Eddy having a title shot, such as winning a tournament or whatever.

They have roughly 7-8 weeks to get Eddie ready for Batista (if that is the direction they go) However the last thing I want to see is another damn tournament to determine a contender for a belt. They have already had a tournament earlier this year. If they want to do #1 contender's match, then fine, but please no more tournaments.

I agree, was just using a quick example. A round robin series of matches between x number of Smackdown guys might work.

Guest Biggles

Cena finally decided to do some moves last night, and he looked alot better than he has in the past. He has been limited, you can tell. Watch his old OVW matches and you can see he knows how to wrestle, yet seems to choose not to. Of course it could be the writers telling him not to, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Usually the writers only tell the midcarders and Cruiserwieghts to tone down their sets, not the Main Eventers. Cena is good and capable of performing at a higher level. Hopefully, he will start to do so.

Cena finally decided to do some moves last night, and he looked alot better than he has in the past. He has been limited, you can tell. Watch his old OVW matches and you can see he knows how to wrestle, yet seems to choose not to. Of course it could be the writers telling him not to, but that doesn't make much sense to me. Usually the writers only tell the midcarders and Cruiserwieghts to tone down their sets, not the Main Eventers. Cena is good and capable of performing at a higher level. Hopefully, he will start to do so.

This is what I've been trying to tell people for ages when it comes to Cena's in-ring ability.

If this was the NBA, a game you're expecting to be close, say Spurs (Benoit) Vs. Pistons (Jordan, and I ONLY say this because Jordan, in WWE universe, is a high-ranking champion), could end up in a blowout. Not every match, nor sporting event, is a down-to-the-wire, HE JUST SQUEAKED A WIN OUT affair. That's what makes the really close ones even more important and special.

Good for Benoit.... Spurs 87, Pistons 58

I agree with this 100%. I've always felt that it's a little unreasonable for people to expect a highly-competitive, formulaic match just about everytime out, and have wished WWE went with more one-sided matches just to keep things realistic. Also, it'd do a lot to convince the fans that a match could end at anytime, thus making the nearfalls a lot more believable.

Some hosts on a Toronto wrestling show brought up a good point, even though I think the guys are absolute nuthuggers: Hardy's match gets called for a blade job but Hogan out-gigs him by 10 pints and gets to continue? An old man with a bad hip and shitty knees gets to bleed all he wants and a young, healthy athelete gets called? Bull-fucking-shit.

In regards to Rey/Eddie, hey if all the wins Rey has gotten doesn't make him somewhat bulletproof to a job then it wasn't worth the effort of jobbing Eddie so many times. Look, Rey is simply not ever going to be a legit main event level guy...he's just way too small. WCW tried having Rey beat really huge guys like Nash and no one really bought it because it isn't believable.

It also isn't getting Rey over because the fans are starting to seriously turn on him for beating Eddie so many times. I haven't seen a feud this one sided since RVD/Lynn and even then Lynn got a couple of pointless wins later on.

Most of Rey's wins have been ultra cheap too, like last night with Dominick and Vicki and whoever running in. Or Eddie doing something stupid and Rey rolls him up from nowhere. Or a DQ.

Further, what else is this feud building to if not an Eddie ass kicking win? I mean if Eddie just gets a lame "feet on the ropes" kind of win and then Rey beats him the next week in the blowoff that's going to kind of....suck. It is the Roadrunner/Coyote feud, where after a point everyone will get sick of the Roadrunner constantly winning and want the Coyote to eat him for lunch.

8:11 -- Yep, Benoit used the German suplex and the Crossface to win the title in about five seconds. Good to see the WWE is still practicing the old SD Jones Policy with black wrestlers -- in other words, come out, dance around, lose in under 20 seconds.

To their credit, they also said:

Our first match is for the U.S. Championship: Orlando Jordan against Chris Benoit, who has an "I used to headline some of these things, now I'm wrestling some guy named Orlando Jordan?" look on his face.

edit: I just read the rest of the article, and it was actually pretty funny.

Battling for the WWE title: Chris Jericho and champ John Cena, known for his mediocre rapping, a truly mediocre catch phrase ("Come get some!") and a finishing move called "The F.U." He's like a younger, watered-down version of Stone Cold Steve Austin, with a little Vanilla Ice thrown in.

Oh TAG~!

Edited by Y2Jerk

Some hosts on a Toronto wrestling show brought up a good point, even though I think the guys are absolute nuthuggers: Hardy's match gets called for a blade job but Hogan out-gigs him by 10 pints and gets to continue? An old man with a bad hip and shitty knees gets to bleed all he wants and a young, healthy athelete gets called? Bull-fucking-shit.

That's exactly what I thought when I watch the Michaels/Hogan match and even more so when I re-watched it last night. Hogan was bleeding all over the place. I mean, Shawn's are was soaked in the stuff when he put on the sleeper.

Yet, in the name of "shooting" I suppose, Hardy get a bit of cut and the match is stopped. Is it a work?, is it a shoot?, has Russo being re-hired?, why should I care about it when Matt Hardy is made to look like a pussy?

Michaels didn't kick Hogan repeatedly in the head though soon afterwards. :rolleyes:

In regards to Rey/Eddie, hey if all the wins Rey has gotten doesn't make him somewhat bulletproof to a job then it wasn't worth the effort of jobbing Eddie so many times.  Look, Rey is simply not ever going to be a legit main event level guy...he's just way too small.  WCW tried having Rey beat really huge guys like Nash and no one really bought it because it isn't believable. 

It also isn't getting Rey over because the fans are starting to seriously turn on him for beating Eddie so many times.  I haven't seen a feud this one sided since RVD/Lynn and even then Lynn got a couple of pointless wins later on.

Most of Rey's wins have been ultra cheap too, like last night with Dominick and Vicki and whoever running in.  Or Eddie doing something stupid and Rey rolls him up from nowhere.  Or a DQ. 

Further, what else is this feud building to if not an Eddie ass kicking win?  I mean if Eddie just gets a lame "feet on the ropes" kind of win and then Rey beats him the next week in the blowoff that's going to kind of....suck.  It is the Roadrunner/Coyote feud, where after a point everyone will get sick of the Roadrunner constantly winning and want the Coyote to eat him for lunch.

I think the point is that the feud is done, it built to the ladder match, as there was a clear direction that the SummerSlam match was the finale of their feud, or at least was talked about as such by the announcers and wrestlers themselves.

I totally disagree with you on the Rey as a main eventer deal, obviously the bookers feel the same way, which is why he is getting the push he is getting. He can be and is currently somewhat of a draw. The Smackdown shows I've been to the last few years I've seen ALOT of Rey merchandise sold, as he is a great draw for the kids. Especially since he's bulked up a little bit since his WCW run, he's most definately a credible main eventer in my eyes, he's not that much considerably smaller than Benoit or Guererro at this point.

The reason alot of Rey's win have been cheap is to PROTECT EDDY. That's the point - to put over Rey so many times but as such, you have to make sure the heel saves some sort of face. It's just smart booking. Sure, I wouldnt have had Rey win EVERY match they've had since Mania (Eddy should have beaten Rey at either Judgment Day or GAB for sure) but now going and having Eddy (remember, the HEEL) kick the shit out of Rey in a final match between them is just counterproductive to the whole point of the feud.

Not seeing where you think Rey is not getting over from all of this, when he won at the ppv I heard a pretty decent pop.

Michaels didn't kick Hogan repeatedly in the head though soon afterwards. :rolleyes:

And?

The match was called off because of blood. Matt was getting beat down but he wasn't giving up so it wasn't due to unresponsiveness.

Guest BrokenWings

Did they officially announce he lost due to a loss of blood? I didn't know about that, if they did.

It should have been similar to the UFC where he wants to continue, but is unable to defend himself for a period of time while the ref warns him he will stop the bout if Hardy cannot intelligently defend himself, and as such loses to ref-stoppage.

Edited by BrokenWings

Did they officially announce he lost due to a loss of blood? I didn't know about that, if they did.

It should have been similar to the UFC where he wants to continue, but is unable to defend himself for a period of time while the ref warns him he will stop the bout if Hardy cannot intelligently defend himself, and as such loses to ref-stoppage.

I think all they said was that Hardy lost by forfeit, almost like a KO victory or something. The ref kept checking him to see if he could continue and determined he couldnt when he couldnt even stand up.

common fucking sense would have been to have Hardy miss a move that caused his head to bounce off the pole. That way. its a fluke that they had to call the match. The way they did it, Edge lifted him, dropped him on he pole then beat the shit out of him until he needed saving. Thats how you blowoff a godamned fued, not continue it.

All things considered, I had no problem with the stiff, stiff beating they were giving each other, but the ended just had to be better than that.

Guest deinly1
I wonder though, if the fans do consistently turn on Cena what is WWE's backup plan?  Angle has never really worked long term as a face, oddly he gets cheered more when he's supposed to be a heel.  Maybe Angle can be a kickass tweener?

What this show illustrated more than anything is that there are a certain amount of guys that fans simply have respect for (Benoit, Angle, Eddie, even Jericho) and when they go against guys who in some way don't seem credible (Jordan, Eugene, even Cena when it comes to in ring work) the crowd goes with the more talented guy regardless of heel or face.

That is the problem, in essence the smarks want to cheer the better in ring technician, but forget that wrestling isnt booked on who would truly win the match in a shoot-type scenario. So cheering for eddy when he is the heel is part of the reason he was forced to job 7 times in a row to Rey.

If it was booked based on who would beat whom in reality, the BIG Show would hold every belt since his arrival.

I have seen a few matches where Rey beats Show alone, and CLEAN. Now who doesnt think that is silly?

Guest Rrrsh

To the marks, it looked like a TKO. It wasnt how much blood loss Hardy had, it was that he wasnt in the right state of mind to compete. Thats why JR and King harped on that Hardy should have taken the night off on RAW. He wasnt "all there"

And Curry, LAW are a bunch of losers.

Guest deinly1
To the marks, it looked like a TKO. It wasnt how much blood loss Hardy had, it was that he wasnt in the right state of mind to compete. Thats why JR and King harped on that Hardy should have taken the night off on RAW. He wasnt "all there"

And Curry, LAW are a bunch of losers.

I guess I'm inbetween mark and smark in this respect, I thought the bump he took during the spear to the outside was rough, however I could see that V1's forehead is not where he landed on that ringpost- meaning the blade job was at hand. In any event after reviewing the match, I thought the buildup was good, but the execution was flawed.