TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Team Angle Pusher

The Summerslam Thread

Guest *KNK*

Quickie Summer Slam thoughts

Orlando Jordan Vs Chris Benoit

So did Stephanie look at the booking sheet this afternoon and realized “Oh fuck! That Benoit guy has a match? I need more time for my soap operas. I got an idea, people like benoit don’t they? Have him beat Orlando James in 25 seconds and they will love me!”

It wasn’t even a squash. It was just Blink and over. It didn’t really make Benoit look lethal but more like Jordan was a complete pussy.

Benoit was too excited for winning a 25 second match, He should have simply taken the title, snot rocketed Jordan and left the ring like the warrior he is.

Matt Hardy Vs Edge

Kudos for the effort of creating the shoot like atmosphere. However that’s about the only upside the “match” had. Matt did an average blade job and thus was enough to call the match off and yet Hogan bled buckets later that night…nothing.

It was obvious they would blow this gold mine angle but I didn’t know it would be this bad. Matt must really be greedy because he sold out to be a bitch.

Lita, as a side note, was really nice looking tonight.

Ladder Match

Eddy Vs Rey

Remember ten years ago, they had a Ladder match at this event. I remember being SO excited for that match. Now Ladder matches are like NO DQ matches. This was your typical rey/eddy WWE match tossed in with a couple nice but nothing completely mind blowing in terms of spots. They clearly botched a few spots again, which is a growing habit for these two. Mania was fine with the potential of nerves and rey’s mask but here it shouldn’t been an issue.

Overall the match was an overbooked mess that offered a few nice little moments but nothing memorable, aside from Rey backdropping eddy off the ladder and the ladder giving way and rey collapsing through it. ..something Im guessing wasn’t planned.

The usual “Im climbing…really slow” disease attacked Eddy here. Horrible finish to boot. Vicky looked her best ever tonight which still isn’t much but Rey’s wife wasn’t all that bad looking.

**½

Kurt Angle Vs Eugene

Very effective here. Angle/Cena is set for Unforgiven and Angle was VERY strongly booked here. Took Eugene out and quickly as he should have. Eugene is dying an rapid death…

Undertaker Vs Randy Orton

A decent match here, that in time I’ll decide if it was better/worst then Mania but I thought it was pretty enjoyable for what it was. Orton took some nifty bumps here and they do work well together.

**¾

Jericho Vs Cena

Well guess it wasn’t just Canada that doesn’t like Cena. The revolt is slowing arriving against Cena and Jericho was very over tonight but WWE won’t take notice of that. Jericho is gone now, off to spend time with Fozzy, as he should. Because he would be spinning his wheels on Raw. Hopefully he can return with a spark next time. He hasn’t taking any significant time off since he arrived, he was dreadfully stale. He needs the vacation.

The match was the best Jericho was going to get out of Cena without resorting to carnal violence and blood. All in all a good match here that wasn’t special.

JBL Vs Batista

Once again, Batista comes off flat, sure he was super over thanks to the hometown crowd but the match was just flat and for a match with these stipulations, it was fairly tame.

Hulk Hogan Vs Shawn Michaels

The crowd was soundly behind Hogan here. Shawn was great here in over-selling everything so dramatically. He was clearly making a HUGE effort here to make this special. It wasn’t remotely near Rock/Hogan and I doubt anyone expected it to be. Hogan did a fine blade job, a departure of sorts to see Shawn bust someone up and remain juice free. The match had a weak finish and the shitty conclusion to this storyline was pure bullshit

Back to Holy Bible Kid it seems.

The freshest breath of air for Raw in months already snuffed out.

***¼

WWE is so stale right now, the wrestling is ahead of 2002 (first half at least) on Raw but the interest I have is clearly dying out.

Ring of Honor is producing an amazing string of shows that are true to what wrestling is and WWE is producing this, for every $35 bucks I drop on WWE, I drop $65 bucks for ROH.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

They should have J.B.L. & Orlando Jordan feud with Animal & Heidenreich, and win the titles at No Mercy.

I actually liked the show from top to bottom. Probably one of the best crowds in recent memory, as they were into every match.

Benoit vs. Jordan

All I wanted was to see Benoit kick Jordan's ass, and he did it in 30 seconds. I do wish the match went longer, but this was a mark-out moment for me. I think Cole pointed it out nicely... Jordan's cheapshot made Benoit snap, plain and simple.

Edge vs. Hardy

Nothing incredible, but it was intensity, for sure. The spear through the ropes and ring post bump were both awesome, but the ending majorly sucked. Unless it actually was legit, Hardy was completely buried tonight. He failed. Miserably. I didn't even realize it was under 5 minutes until I came here, though. **

Eddie vs. Rey

For those complaining about Eddie not getting the win, just think of what would have resulted from an Eddie win: Another month or two of story featuring Dominick as the centerpiece. Rey needed to win this match for the sake of all fans. Blown spots aside, I was REALLY into this match. One point.. The first time Eddie went to climb the ladder, after he layed Rey out in the aisle, he went way too slow. It was only about 2 minutes into the match. I see no reason why he couldn't have climbed much quicker... except for having to wait for Rey, of course. The 619, Rey's sunset flip powerbomb, and the 'powerbomb' all the way from the hanging briefcase were all awesome, though. Rey coming back and nailing Eddie with the briefcase was a nice touch, also. ***3/4

Angle vs. Eugene

I love watching Eugene get booed, especially when JR tries to hard to defend him. As with Hardy-Edge, I didn't even realize how short it was. Eugene needs a new style, because his old school copying moves are getting old. Eugene 'tarding up to boos was great, as usual.

Taker vs. Orton

I'd put this on par with WM, with WM maybe being slightly above it due to better interference from Bob Orton. The tombstone sequence was cool, and I was actually unsure about whether ot not Bob was a legit fan or not. The second he came in, I was sure it was him, but as Taker stood confused and security stormed in, I wasn't sure. ***1/2

Cena vs. Jericho

MOTN for me. The dueling Jericho-Cena chants were fun, and there was some good action throughout. The one thing I hated was Jericho's counter slam off the top rope into a pin (I can't remember the exact move he did)... The way the pin came off was way too sloppy. The first counter to the FU was great and could've made a great nearfall, but Jericho decided to go for the Walls? Bad move. Smart psychology would've been to try for the quick pin. It seemed like the guys were cheering for Jericho, and the girls for Cena, judging by the dueling chants, at least. The finish was perfect. I hate the actual FU, but it was a good counted by Cena. ***3/4

JBL-Batista

Pretty much a nothing match overall. I mark for JBL's $100 bills, however. The 2 minute belt choke = death. Batista suddenly hitting a spinebuster and then anti-climatically hitting the Batista Bomb was lame. The powerbomb on the steps was cool though. Am I the only one who laughed at Cole's reponse to Batista tearing up the $100 bill afterward? (Batista rips it, and Cole says something like, "It must have been counterfeit!") I know he was kidding, but it was such a Tazz thing to say, that it was funny that Cole actually said it. *

HBK-Hogan

I wasn't paying as much attention as I should've, but it was surprisingly good from what I saw. I wasn't looking forward to this at all leading up to the show, so I was quite surprised. I wanted HBK to win since he'll be around tommorrow, but Hogan winning was no shock considering HBK has been getting the best of him for weeks. I almost began to believe Bret would come out when the Sharpshooter was busted out. The handshake was lame since it basically kills heel HBK. ***

No Brock = disappointment, but everything was completely watchable and entertaining to me. I was skeptical ordering, but I'm glad that I did.

I'm listening to Jericho/Cena in the background and I've gotta say this line from JR cracked me up tonight:

JR: Jericho's a sicophant.

Coach: Do not use words you cannot spell, JR.

JR: Can you spell "Topeka"? That's where you're gonna be headed if you don't shut up!

Guest *KNK*
I think it's safe to say that Michaels' sharpshooter is worse than the Rock's. :throwup:

Has more to do with Hogan who is huge and unflexible, and Shawn is much smaller. It's hard to put on.

And maybe because Hogan has knee and hip problems that Im betting Shawn was taking into consideration

Guest JericholicEdgeHead

The first hour or so was NOT PPV quality by any shape of the imagination.

Sorry but if fans are going to shell out $35..every match should have SOME quality to them ...not just two or three matches in a 3 hour show.

The Edge-Hardy match really pissed me off...they have built this up so much and all we get is a 5 minute punchfest with a shitty ending. How about a little brawling around the arena...they could have kept this going for awhile..to the back..in the lockeroom, to the concession stand ..whatever.

The Guerrero/Mysterio match was too much soap opera for me. A little too cartoonish. Too Stephanie McHollywood for me.

The title matches were pretty lackluster..thankfully Jericho tried to make his match watchable.

Hogan/Michaels was the only match I got into..and it somewhat delivered.

I'm sorry but I think a lot of today's fans are putting up with WAY too much subpar/mediocre wrestling. And are getting to the point of accepting the watered down wrestling that we see today. I am kinda guilty of this too..but I'm really getting jaded and turned off by what WWE puts out today as "wrestling".

Not sure I will fork out the cash any more if "mediocre" has become the standard. We get enough of "mediocre" on RAW & SMACKDOWN...but on PPV's too??? Come on!

Guest scottb75
I'm listening to Jericho/Cena in the background and I've gotta say this line from JR cracked me up tonight:

JR: Jericho's a sicophant.

Coach: Do not use words you cannot spell, JR.

JR: Can you spell "Topeka"? That's where you're gonna be headed if you don't shut up!

Yeah that was pretty funny I thought.

-Vince in the limo got a big pop. I of course popped for Ken Mehlman and Ed Gillespie when they were shown (didn't know they were fans!) but the majority of the crowd booed. Oh well, that's expected.

I cry tears of joy when I think of how many of our tax dollars Ed Gillespie lobbied for Enron. Truly the best money we EVER spent.

Mehlman has yet to do anything terrible, I'll give him that. And both guys looked pained to be there, if they're anything like the other celebs at the shows (such as a pro sports team or something) they just arrive for their segment then leave.

If Hogan forgave HBK for the numerous sneak attacks and all of those prick comments just like that then I have to say that he's a pretty good person.

I understand that the whole Vince in the limo shot was a joke, but I couldn't be the only one thinking how stupid it was for a bunch of girls to be washing a car in bikinis in a parking garage of an arena at night for no particular reason.

-Vince in the limo got a big pop. I of course popped for Ken Mehlman and Ed Gillespie when they were shown (didn't know they were fans!) but the majority of the crowd booed. Oh well, that's expected.

I cry tears of joy when I think of how many of our tax dollars Ed Gillespie lobbied for Enron. Truly the best money we EVER spent.

Mehlman has yet to do anything terrible, I'll give him that. And both guys looked pained to be there, if they're anything like the other celebs at the shows (such as a pro sports team or something) they just arrive for their segment then leave.

OK, Jobber, let's not turn this political, I don't post about politics here anymore. :rolleyes: It was just to comment on the crowd's reaction to them as well as my own.

My full opinion.

Benoit-Jordan: M-M-M-M-MONSTER MATCH. ***** lol.

Edge-Matt: As I said, they're going to get in the ring and the crowd is going to see that it's only Edge and Matt Hardy and suddently the heat will be gone and the match will suck and nobody's expectations will be fulfilled. Seems like Matt just got his punishing for squealing to the Internet.

Eddie VS Rey: Eddie is doing crazy daredevil moves. Rey is doing his same old crap. The audience, unhappy with same ol same ol, gets behind Eddie. Okay match, although Eddie being overpowered by his wife didn't seem right. The announcers should have at least emphasized how worn out he was at the end of the match to make it seem more believable.

They also "Pulled A Kane" and killed the kayfabe of Latino Heat as the collateral for that "I married you a long, long time ago" promo. WTG writing team.

Angle-Eugene: Mmmm.. Hearing Eugene getting booed makes me happy. Angle is on fire.

Taker-Orton: I thought that this was actually a very good match for Orton. He was just about carrying the whole thing and combined heel tactics and psychology very well. It's not exactly Ric Flair in his prime, but for friggin' Orton it was well beyond expectations. Unfortunately, Taker was 100% in "not feeling it" mode and did the best impression of Kevin Nash that I've ever seen the whole match.

Cena-Jericho: Bullshit match, but it was very fluid and the crowd was buying it better than they had any right to.

JBL-Batista: They protected Batista very well here, he's only as good as his opponent and Bradshaw is one of those guys that needs to be carried, so they used every prop they could think of to hide the fact that neither of these guys can really wrestle.

HBK-Hogan: Piss. Left a negative taste in my mouth for the whole show. Hogan should have at least pulled out something flashy instead of depending on the whole YOUUUUU routine.

OK, Jobber, let's not turn this political, I don't post about politics here anymore.  :rolleyes: It was just to comment on the crowd's reaction to them as well as my own.

Didn't intend to start a debate, but you decided to use subtlety to express your support for guys who are (literally) party shills, so I thought I'd just rub your face in it and run. :)

OK, Jobber, let's not turn this political, I don't post about politics here anymore.  :rolleyes: It was just to comment on the crowd's reaction to them as well as my own.

Didn't intend to start a debate, but you decided to use subtlety to express your support for guys who are (literally) party shills, so I thought I'd just rub your face in it and run. :)

I think your guy was there too, re-read my report, he might have been the guy in front of me!!! :P :D

From someone who was there, from what I remember.

(btw I was sitting next to Rando)

Rando actually got up for a soda and missed Masters/Hurricane. Not that he missed much.

Benoit/Jones was a dud of course, but at least Benoit won... The crowd loved it, but come on...

Hardy/Edge was the same way. The crowd hated the ending.

Eugene/Angle, well, Angle was just super duper over. People just booed every single thing Eugene did, especially the stunner attempts and the rockbottom. I suppose everything he did wasn't liked. I totally totally marked out for the award presentation. there were calls for "break his ankle!" like people expected Eugene to get the Pillman treatment, but when he tossed Eugene out, and stood on the chair, it made my day. Fuck Eugene, he doesn't deserve to be in the spotlight. Go Angle!

Rey/Eddie was a mixed bag. The wrong man went over IMO. And it made Rey look REALLY bad that he couldn't beat Eddie without all this blatent interference. Then the briefcase shot at the end, I dunno where they're going with this... But I can't have been the only person looking for a frogsplash to Rey's kid...

Cena/Jericho was definitely match of the night for ME, because me, Rando, and between 1/3 and 1/2 of the arena was absolutely cheering Jericho on. I really found myself marking out during this one, because even Jericho started to hear his name, loud and clear. Cena was super over, but so was Jericho. I just hope this show gives them another look at Y2J...

JBL/Bautista was an interesting contrast to the previous match, whereas Jericho had many fans, EVERYONE in the D.C. area loves Bautista. This match wasn't very good live, considering all the time spend in the seats. No blood, no real table spots or anything. It was little better from a squash, from what I saw. But the crowd loved the 2nd powerbomb, everyone around us was shouting "Use the stairs! Use the stairs!" Bloodthirsty...

Despite what MJ Styles said, HBK/Hogan did have SOME mixed reactions. Not loud contesting chants like the "Lets go Cena! Lets go Jericho!" of that match, but certainly SOME people were going H-B-K! Not to mention my favorite chants of the night: during the sleeper spot, some of the fans were chanting "Go to sleep!" and then just "Die! Die! Die!" But I'm sure the few people hoping for a DX reunion didn't show up on TV. It wasn't a very good match, but the spectacle of a bloodied Hogan was pretty memorable.

All in all not a great show, but it was my first, so it wasn't that bad. Makes me want to catch a smaller show if they ever come through...

actually I forgot the UT/Orton match. We in the crowd loved the UT entrance, went apeshit when we thought we were going to see Randy hit a tombstone, and had absolutely no idea who the 'fan' was who interrupted.

I am not about to give match ratings, but I enjoyed the show. There could have been some improvement, but I was entertained for 3 hours which is a godo thing

Yeah, nobody knew who the hell ...Bob Orton, apparently...was when he first came in, but since he didn't get tackled and beaten he had to be a plant.

Two fun groups of fans were the highlights for myself, really. The group right behind myself and Eric who chanted "Die!","Go To Sleep", "We Want Brooke" Yo-Ko-Zu-Na!", and others all through the Hogan/HBK match, as well as trying to start up dueling chants whenever possible. I asked them if they wanted La Parka, but got no definite response. The other group of fans is INSANELY noticable during Jericho/Cena, cheering Jericho on during the dueling chants, popping up and down in their seats and pumping their fists. It was like a tiny Heel Section.

The workrate and the oddness of some of the finishes made a fairly okay crowd seem dead many many times, but overall it was good stuff. I wish they wouldn't have shown the HBK/Hogan handshake on TV, as it just goes against everything HBK had been saying these last few weeks.

And I agree with Eric, Rey looks horrible since he had the match lost twice and had interference save him. The botched back body drop was "Holy Shit" worthy, as I thought Rey fell neck-first into the middle of the ladder.

Matt's bladejob was hilarious as, for the rest of the match, the tape on his right arm was still clean and white but the tape on his left arm was just blood soaked. No briefcase for Edge, either. Did they just drop that whole storyline?

Anyways, I'll be looking for the next time WWE is doing tv/ppv stuff in DC, and will be totally attending again. My final predictions went 6-2 I believe, with Rey and Hogan being my mistakes. Then again, this wasn't the hardest PPV to call winners for.

Awesomeness? Benoit pineed a nobody that was holding the U.S. belt since March (I think) in less than 25 seconds. By beating a joke of a champion is not going to do any wonders for Benoit.

Didn't order the show, but a question - did Matt come off looking like a complete pussy?

Didn't order the show, but a question - did Matt come off looking like a complete pussy?

Not really, he charged in from the stage without much showboating and both guys started punching away. Matt took Edge down and strangled him, but then shortly after that the spear through the ropes spot happened. The way both guys landed they seemed like their heads hit whatever little padding was beyond the rubber, Edge smacking his forehead and Hardy hitting the back of his noggin.

There wasn't any immediate medical assistance, work or shoot, to give the impression of a concussion, but that was when the glazed over look began and his offense fell to a halt. I think Edge tried to take over the match for a bit to waste time for Matt to screw his brain back on, but nothing changed and somebody decided to just end the whole thing. Either one of the guys, or more likely the agent speaking in everyone's earpieces.

Guest BrokenWings

As much as I hate to see the Rey/Eddie feud continue any longer than it already has, Eddie has to get a win, especially if they want him to go up against Batista.

I really don't see how they would explain to marks that, while Eddie Guerrero has just lost seven consecutive times against Rey Mysterio, he is now the number one contender.